Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the excitement of investors here that are trying/succeeding to get into the beta FSD program.
And a little joke here and there is fine by me if I may say so, I do that myself too.
But no matter how nice it is to be able to push that FSD-beta-button, this is the investment thread.
I am sure a lot of us would very much appreciate if people would only post FSD-related things here, if they have a clear relation with our investing.
Please?

Last edited:
NOOoooo not the PETS!!! That's pretty low.

"FSD Beta gives drivers access to an “autosteer on city streets” feature, which has yet to be perfected and enables drivers to automatically navigate around urban environments alongside other vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists and pets without moving the steering wheel with their own hands"​

Speaking of pets and FSD...

tesla-dogs.jpg

A forward collision warning with 4 car lengths maintained through the whole event on 30 mph city streets produced a score of 75. So maintaining safe distance by applying the brakes when warned seems to be punished.

The algorithm needs to look at cushion maintained especially with FCW, which can be flakey. So it can be a double whammy as seen here.View attachment 714378
This is an investor update on the customer experience for those investors who have not yet purchased a Tesla.

I received an ineligible rating, was provided feedback, acted on the feedback and am now eligible!

Here are the key actions for improved status:
  1. Consider selection. Specifically the word “thoroughfare” and what that means. It is a crowded main road that people with outdated navigation capabilities use. Better to not share streets with these people. Avoid thoroughfares. A less trafficked road has a larger fraction of drivers operating below information overload levels. You will see fewer mistakes
  2. Consider selection. Specifically the streaming radio station selection established with a voice command like, “Play Claudine.” I have tried all sorts of stations for best driving behavior, like, “play Leaving on a jet plane
    By Peter, Paul and Mary.” If you do that you will eventually get Arlo Guthrie. Get distracted, laugh and mess up. The best seems to be if I say, “Play Leaving in a jet plane by John Denver”. That song is sometimes followed by the Carpenters. And Karen sounds really good with immersive sound.
  3. Consider selection. As in lane selection. Choose one where you are not crowded or surprised.
Here is the new report card. Following distance is with respect to the fleet average. I am better than average, but could improve there.
1BB443BB-B2B2-4D3F-82FC-5DE731B9E549.png

This is an investor forum and people are different in both interests and means. I can only afford to invest in one company, and watch it like a hawk. [That is why I go non-linear when Lynch doesn't understand what slow boats from China do to inventory turns.]

For some, there may be an interest in other investments, so here is an old copy [1987 creation] of Elon's grocery [shopping] list. It is a list Porter's team put together of great industries and the countries where they are located before writing The Competitive Advantage of Nations book. If Tesla needs something that is the best in the world, they can scan this list as a first order search step. Then hire individuals or buy companies or components as makes sense.

I circled a few places that Tesla has been that are known:
  1. Automation in Germany
  2. Semiconductors in Korea
  3. Tiles in Italy [I would have guessed die casting would be there for Italy, but maybe it was grouped as factory automation?]
  4. Software in the USA
Someone in this forum may be able to anticipate needs, and possibly predict the future, by using what I conjecture to be the same starting point shopping list. [This conjecture is based on the Italian SpaceX tile engineer that spoke at the recent Italian Tech conference.]

View attachment 714051

By the way, I do not find arrogance in the title play on The Wealth of Nations, as I think in today's world, the Porter version, The Competitive Advantage of Nations, is as helpful as the older Adam Smith version.

I hope this list of who is good at what is helpful to someone here.

Edit: A while back, with the acquisition of Grohmann in 2017 Tesla Grohmann Automation - Wikipedia it was clear that Elon was combining the competitive advantages of several nations into one company, Tesla. That he may be using this list as a start to combine the all world's competitive advantages into a single company dawned yesterday. It was also clear that he was going in that direction with Keke Rosberg's kid, Nico, associated with the Model 3 driving dynamics. Nico Rosberg - Wikipedia

I've oft wondered about the people who designed the Model 3 driving dynamics. While the damping is not exactly to my personal perfection, it actually works very well in low traction situations and only really displays some weakness on whoops and dips when cornering harder than one ought to on public roads. The steering dynamics are stellar, even when pushed hard on reasonably good surfaces. But I couldn't find anything associating Nico with the development of the Model 3 driving dynamics.

That didn’t take long..

No press is bad press?

"...Homendy also remarked — and in interviews with Autonocast, an industry podcast, and the Washington Post — that Tesla’s use of the term Full Self-Driving for a “level 2” driver assistance system is misleading and confusing."​

I think Ms Homendy's use of the name National Transportation Safety Board for her agency is misleading and confusing, since 5.25 million auto accidents kill 37,000 Americans every year, and 200,000 more die prematurely from air pollution, mostly from transportation exhaust.

Clearly NTSB has not yet achieved transportation safety in the nation, and should be renamed the National Transportation Attempted Safety Board, or the Aspiring Safety Board, or the Failing Miserably At Our Job And Harassing The Company Most Improving Auto Safety Board.

FMAOJAHTCMIASB is an impressive acronym for their letterhead. The bigger the title, the more important the bureaucrat.

Last edited:
I understand the excitement of investors here that are trying/succeeding to get into the beta FSD program.
And a little joke here and there is fine by me if I may say so, I do that myself too.
But no matter how nice it is to be able to push that FSD-beta-button, this is the investment thread.
I am sure a lot of us would very much appreciate if people would only post FSD-related things here, if they have a clear relation with our investing.
Please?

We have 2 cars with FSD, one without.

Didn’t get FSD on the 3rd because it didn’t make much sense. 2nd Model 3 gets replaced with Cybertruck.

However, glad to spend 200 a month for the next 18-24 months to play with shiny toys and enhance the driving experience for that car without upfront fully paid FSD.

It’s reasonable we can extrapolate our spending decision matrix to other drivers.

Ill go out on a limb and say I don’t believe fsd subs will cannibalize fsd upfront purchases for long term holder of cars.

The excitement is very relevant to our returns as investors.

The sources requested anonymity, as they were not allowed to speak to media. Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I've oft wondered about the people who designed the Model 3 driving dynamics. While the damping is not exactly to my personal perfection, it actually works very well in low traction situations and only really displays some weakness on whoops and dips when cornering harder than one ought to on public roads. The steering dynamics are stellar, even when pushed hard on reasonably good surfaces. But I couldn't find anything associating Nico with the development of the Model 3 driving dynamics.
I saw it as a “what do you think?” association as Musk is aiming for not world class but best in world. This quote says he drove number 5.

F2A63450-54BF-4B47-948F-D7B11EB52271.jpeg

At that time the suspension looked underdamped in the videos I saw… but if you can get an F1 champion to drive your car hard at the track, I think you listen to him (or have your suspension design team listen to him).

His ability to communicate nuance is better than the average bear’s. So a precise statement would be “he helped put icing on the cake.”

I think he talked and they listened. As that would be the most consistent with the mission.

Nah, as Austin and Berlin ramp the production volume will increase significantly, thus reducing lead times for deliveries.'

Unless the demand grows faster than the two new Gigafactories can ramp up.... 🤔
The beauty of Austin and Berlin is that they will dramatically increase supply, but also allow Tesla to lower prices. This should allow for Tesla to better meet their mission while giving us shareholders higher margins. Win-Win baby!

This video is so unreal. Elon does not talk this way. He must be reading a prepared statement. It was not prepared by him. He is reading it like a robot.

What is going on?
Pre-recorded interview with questions that he has prepared answers for and likely reading from a teleprompter. Or could be his mini-me bot that he is beta testing. Smiley 😁