Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we are very close to a milestone where I can tell my wife "I told you so" when she suggested we dump some TSLA earlier in the year when it was in the mid 800s and I said it will keep going up over the long run and we should hold. The intervening 6-8 months have been moderately painful as she periodically reminded me that we should have sold, but soon the tables will turn.

Last edited:
we are very close to a milestone where I can tell my wife "I told you so" when she suggested we dump some TSLA earlier in the year when it was in the mid 800s and I said it will keep going up over the long run and we should hold. The intervening 6 months have been moderately painful as she periodically reminded me that we should have sold, but soon the tables will turn.
Just wait a little longer and you'll prove how much smarter you are than she is :)

I expect this to be important.

The last time Jay featured a Tesla was for the Model Y. YouTube (currently showing 3M views) and CleanTechnica shows the air date as June 22, 2020 when TSLA closed at $623.71

Here are the prices and volume before and after the show aired showing a $70 jump two days after on high volume.

IMG_0015.jpg

Reference: YouTube -
CleanTechnica - Jay Leno's Tesla Model Y Review (Video)

Last edited:
we are very close to a milestone where I can tell my wife "I told you so" when she suggested we dump some TSLA earlier in the year when it was in the mid 800s and I said it will keep going up over the long run and we should hold. The intervening 6-8 months have been moderately painful as she periodically reminded me that we should have sold, but soon the tables will turn.
Well, she can still say, should have sold > 800 and bought back at 550 :D

Problem is, you never know when it will just reverse course and keep running… Then those shares are lost forever.

I have a small account (itchy finger acct.) where I will sell some shares when I feel like it’s getting a little overextended, and buy some shares when it feels oversold.

This is the first time that my itchy fingers account has (modestly) outperformed my HODL account where I have the majority of my shares. Sold at $880 and bought again at DCA of $590.

I may convert this account to HODL as well because being without those shares caused me great anxiety and I’m not looking forward to the tax bill. Ticker watching is too emotional for me.

Not advice; just wanted to share my experience

Chunky in CA. Would have paid 40 percent in tax. Would literally have to have sold at 850 and bought back under 510 to break even. Good luck with that.

Now if she had told him to sell covered calls, then she could hammer him for the rest of time.

BTW you should have should some covered calls! 😜😜😜😜😜

Chunky in CA. Would have paid 40 percent in tax. Would literally have to have sold at 850 and bought back under 510 to break even. Good luck with that.

Now if she had told him to sell covered calls, then she could hammer him for the rest of time.

If in a taxable account (vs IRA/ 401k) and only if basis was 0.
Even then, 510 would become the new basis which reduces tax on future profits.
But it's all hindsight.

I agree mostly… But you have to account for cost basis.
In my itchy finger account I’m constantly buying and selling shares around volatility, so my cost basis is pretty high compared to my core shares account.
So if someone had a cost basis of 500/share and sold at 850 and bought back at 580 they would’ve done pretty well… I agree it’s not worth the trouble. But it does help to feel better about all the manipulation.

I know, it’s just… I’m so used to push-down Fridays! And the quarterly results and by implication China sales should have been obvious for two weeks now, and Giga Berlin for a week. I was telling myself all that good news led to a nice $820 Thursday and if all went well today we’d hold above $800 on the Friday Afternoon Plunge. And it was absolutely the direct opposite! Tickling $850 after hours! I’m pinching myself.
Yeah, I had some 401k rollover finally hit my IRA stock trading account today and was going to buy shares at the end of market Friday pushdown ....now waiting for seesaw Monday and good timing...

Last edited:
Today I may have actually become the first person to get in an accident while the FSD Beta was driving!

Happy to say though, my car was just slowing to a stop at a stop sign totally normally and for once gracefully, and the car behind me just rolled into me. There’s a barely perceptible dent now in the rear bumper. The driver apologized and we went our separate ways.

...He keeps linking CNN articles and his main arguments is that Chinese EV manufacturers bill beat Tesla price and quality and that nobody wants to own specifically a Tesla...

The "competition is coming" argument can be refuted with one sentence:

No competitor can match Tesla's rate of innovation in hardware AND software, products/services AND manufacturing, and vertical integration.

If your listener asks for examples, you can choose from the following or add your own:
  • Hardware: 18650 cell skateboard, 2170 cells, 4680 cells, structural battery pack, gigacastings, proprietary alloys for castings and Cybertruck exoskeleton, octovalve, carbon-fiber-wrapped motor, bioweapon defense mode, falcon wing doors, Supercharger versions 1-3, Autopilot, FSD Hardware 2-4, Dojo, Solar Roof, Powerwall, Megapack, medical ventilators, RNA vaccine printers, Bot
  • Software: Autopilot, FSD, OTA updates, Sentry Mode, Dog Mode, Caraoke, in-car video games, Tesla app, Autobidder, Warp (Enterprise Resource Planning system), Tesla Network (forthcoming)
  • Products/Services: cars, trucks, global charging network, FSD subscriptions, robotaxi service (forthcoming), auto insurance, home energy generation/storage, utility energy storage, virtual power-plants, electricity sales, Dojo as a service and humanoid robots (forthcoming)
  • Manufacturing: gigacasting, Dry Battery Electrode, in-house automation team (Tesla Grohmann), Model 3 built 3 times faster than ID.3 (according to VW CEO Herbert Diess)
  • Vertical Integration: in-house software design, chip design, materials engineering, glass engineering, control/power electronics design, battery engineering, battery recycling, seat manufacturing, charging infrastructure, sales/service infrastructure, auto insurance
If your listener asks why competitors can't catch up to Tesla, that too has a short answer:

Elon attracts and nurtures the smartest, most innovative engineers in the world with his corporate missions and culture (unique in the auto industry, according to Sandy Munro).

In any race, there can be only one leader.