Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reposting.

TSLA be like...
I'm just getting warmed up.gif

Now have a great weekend all...

As a former oil and gas engineer in the heart of the Canadian oil country I can confirm that most people in these parts see Tesla as a risky investment. Most people thought I was crazy for investing in Tesla. It’s hard for them to see through their bias cause their wages depend on oil money. I was lucky that I was able to see through my bias and I did use Tesla as a hedge against my job as you say.

Now the dilemma I face is I own a house in Calgary and Calgary house prices directly correspond to oil prices. Hopefully, Calgary will be more diversified by the time oil prices collapse cause I love this city. I am watching fsd progress closely cause I think robotaxis could collapse oil prices faster than what people are expecting. I’ll be half tempted to sell my house and move once fsd is solved.
Upton Sinclair Quotes
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Mainstream consumers will care about range and price.

And if the battery packs fire frequency is so high it affects safety reputation. .001% of fleet catches fire per year or .005% of fleet catches fire per year is irrelevant.

The technical details about cells and packs is gobbledygook to mainstream consumers.

The difference in efficiency is negligible in terms cost of electricity so American consumers won't care. They don't care very much about fuel cost when gasoline is under $5/gallon.
The difference in energy efficiency shows up tangibly in sacrificing at least one of the following:
- Range
- Cost (both unit cost and diseconomies of low production volume)
- mph/kph charging speed
- Cabin noise, vibration and harshness

Reactions: petit_bateau
Now the dilemma I face is I own a house in Calgary and Calgary house prices directly correspond to oil prices. Hopefully, Calgary will be more diversified by the time oil prices collapse cause I love this city. I am watching fsd progress closely cause I think robotaxis could collapse oil prices faster than what people are expecting. I’ll be half tempted to sell my house and move once fsd is solved.
Solution to your housing dilemma:

Stay in Calgary, but sell your house to someone who wants to be your landlord and invest the equity in TSLA. (Not a joke but also not financial advice.)

Last edited:
840 is twice the 420 ... just saying it out loud ...

Back in the day I read some forum posts and did some calculations and decided when the share price looked like it had settled above the much scientific number 420.69 I would retire and stop buying TSLA and start spending. And eventually it did. And I did.

And now at more than 420.69 times two or 841.38 I think it was the right call. I guess I owe all the posters in this thread a beer. And Elon a sixpack.

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

The difference in energy efficiency shows up tangibly in sacrificing at least one of the following:
- Range
- Cost (both unit cost and diseconomies of low production volume)
- mph/kph charging speed
- Cabin noise, vibration and harshness

The difference in efficiency would have to be rather large, beyond what we see today, for it to show up tangibly in the way you describe.

Economies of scale for all the automakers save the new American companies should be competitive.

Others OEMs choosing a less aerodynamic shape for looks or interior volume or wider performance tires is a different tradeoff that some consumers will prefer and others will not.

Current delivery windows (California). Significantly shorter waits for M3 perf, MY perf, and MS Plaid, possibly encouraging customers to opt for those instead of waiting. If so, that would have a positive impact on margins.

ModelEst Delivery
Model S LRApr-May
Model S PlaidJan-Feb
Model 3 SR+Apr
Model 3 LRDec
Model 3 PerfNov
Model X LRMay-Jun
Model X PlaidMay-Jun
Model Y LRApr
Model Y PerfDec

The difference in efficiency would have to be rather large, beyond what we see today, for it to show up tangibly in the way you describe.

Economies of scale for all the automakers save the new American companies should be competitive.

Others OEMs choosing a less aerodynamic shape for looks or interior volume or wider performance tires is a different tradeoff that some consumers will prefer and others will not.
For NVH and economies of scale, yes, but for range and charging speed those are directly proportional to efficiency for a given battery size.

Reactions: petit_bateau