Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Days like this bring misgivings for me.

A few years ago I decided to look at my retirement savings (money has never been a goal). They were in such a state of disrepair that it was not going to happen.

Here is the important part. I looked at all the options recommended this near to retirement: diversification, stock to bond ratios, whatever averaging... S&P 500.

If I followed any of those plans and if they worked perfectly, the outcome was the same: No retirement for me.

A lot of people are happy following plans, even if a perfect outcome results in failure! "Look, if we do that and things work perfectly, we still lose!"

So the "all" in on TSLA was an act of desperation. Not crystal ball clarity about anything. A expression of a preferred direction. yes.

But in actuality, I had no other choice.

The misgiving is that since it was an act of desperation, not foresight, I could not recommend
beyond saying, "I like the way he applies capital. He creates jobs for lots of people. He is helping make the environment better and our future better." So the only weight of my advice was altruistic. I could not see the future.
Somehow images of Jimmy Stewart.

The people on this forum did help me make this now wise appearing choice. Thank you all.
Think of the story of the guy sitting on his house roof in a flood and someone comes by in a canoe and offers a ride. The guy answers, ‘No thanks, waiting for God.’ Given multiple opportunities to get off the roof by people in various boats, passing them all by waiting for God, the guy drowns. Once in Heaven, he asks God, ‘Why didn’t you come and save me?’ And God answers, ‘What do you think all those people with boats were for?’

You’re the guy on the roof who accepted a life saving boat ride. Give yourself some credit, man! You recognized the situation and made the right choice. Not everyone does. That’s on them, not you.

Congratulations!

Hoho, yeah, it's good. But TSLA stock is like the 'Keeling Curve', in that it has a predictable annual cycle, with a dip each Spring and a high in Autumn:

600px-Mauna_Loa_CO2_monthly_mean_concentration.svg.png

So let's wait to see where we are in March before we declare FB in the rear-view mirror. We passed them briefly in Jan 2021 as well, but its really just a matter of time before the dips are higher than the previous ATH peak... :D

Cheers!
Even the atmosphere is pulling for Tesla. CO2 ppm is almost...420

So, after a day of actually working (don't ask, don't happen too often anymore) only having time to check the SP twice I hereby declared this to have been my worst day of work ever. Horribly timed. Never have I wanted to get home from work so badly, ever.

Now I'll probably need several hours to catch-up here. Can't imagine anything I would rather do.

There’s not a single thing wrong with people talking about their finances good or bad as defined by them. There’s not a single thing wrong with being happy you made a wise decision, a risky decision, or a lucky decision and it paid off, and you want to talk about it, especially within a group of people who have experienced the same.

There is NO shame in being monetarily well off and wanting to talk about it, especially with a group of peers.

I’m happy for every single person who took a chance on Tesla/TSLA and have been rewarded and if they want to shout their portfolios from my mountain they should find a different mountain, but they should shout nonetheless if it strikes them to do so. The associated stigma of being monetarily rich is a big pile of dog biscuits piled higher by the envious.

I have lived paycheck to paycheck for most of my life. There have been times I’ve had to forego new underwear and food so I could pay a bill. I’ve worked multiple jobs at a time to pay the bills. All the while watching friends/acquaintances buy whatever their heart desires. Not once was I jealous. Instead, I was motivated to work hard, make good money decisions and live my life.

No, you don’t get to make people feel bad or ashamed. Go somewhere else if you can’t stomach people here sharing their good fortune and happiness.
What, you bought new underwear?
Someone I used to work with (don't any more) explained how they can each be used four times: back-to-front, and inside-out.
Pro tip. But as mentioned, we are not close now. Maybe just as well. :eek:

So, after a day of actually working (don't ask, don't happen too often anymore) only having time to check the SP twice I hereby declared this to have been my worst day of work ever. Horribly timed. Never have I wanted to get home from work so badly, ever.

Now I'll probably need several hours to catch-up here. Can't imagine anything I would rather do.
It is the most weirdly satisfying thing to do.
I read almost every post....even the weirdo cat's

What, you bought new underwear?
Someone I used to work with (don't any more) explained how they can each be used four times: back-to-front, and inside-out.
Pro tip. But as mentioned, we are not close now. Maybe just as well. :eek:
Pro tip. They last longer if you hang them up to dry rather than using the dryer (saves electricity too).