Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly OT: I highly doubt Elon is the richest person in the world.

Unlike the self-made upstarts listed in Forbes magazine, the richest people in the world got their money the old-fashioned way: inheritance and crime. They use their very large resources to stay out of the public eye, and control their wealth anonymously through shell corporations in tax havens around the globe. They probably pay Forbes researchers to keep them out of the magazine.

My evidence for this? Paranoia, logic, some reading about the Panama Papers and Pandora Papers, and observation of the amount of lying in media like Forbes magazine. If the financial media report something, odds are good that it is false.
You probably over thinking.

Considering Tesla is planning for 40 GWh of mega pack capacity I’d bet a good chunk of it could be going there too.

The 36KR articles says that this particular 45 GWh order is specifically for LFP packs (Tesla buys the entire pack from CATL, not just cells).

The article als says that Tesla is in further negotiations with CATL for additional orders. To me, these is likely for the Megapack LFP bty supply, although I'm uncertain as to what form-factor CATL would provide for this application. I suspect we'll know soon enough as the Lathrop Megapack facility begins production. Hopefully, Tesla publishes some specs and/or pictures.

Cheers!

Mostly OT: I highly doubt Elon is the richest person in the world.

Unlike the self-made upstarts listed in Forbes magazine, the richest people in the world got their money the old-fashioned way: inheritance and crime. They use their very large resources to stay out of the public eye, and control their wealth anonymously through shell corporations in tax havens around the globe. They probably pay Forbes researchers to keep them out of the magazine.

My evidence for this? Paranoia, logic, some reading about the Panama Papers and Pandora Papers, and observation of the amount of lying in media like Forbes magazine. If the financial media report something, odds are good that it is false.
Putin is almost certainly the second richest person in the world with around $400B in wealth, then in first is obviously Mohammad Bin Salman Al Saud of Saudi Arabia who has god knows how much. Might be a few more above Elon.

Putin is almost certainly the second richest person in the world with around $400B in wealth, then in first is obviously Mohammad Bin Salman Al Saud of Saudi Arabia who has god knows how much. Might be a few more above Elon.
It's going to be great once we finish off the oil cartel and those two criminals go back to being irrelevant.

I think this is going to be the most unexpected effect of the Hertz deal. With the supercharger network, it’s no problem to get anywhere (in Europe), but once you’re at your location you need to be able to charge. That has been the biggest problem in our travels. Having a big player in the travel industry normalising EV travel will accelerate hotel and B&B charging infrastructure buildout. Being able to charge where you spend the night is the most convenient way to charge. And it’s ok to charge at slow speeds then.
About a month ago, I met someone who is an internal marketing consultant for a major hotel enterprise (several branded hotel chains). I mentioned to her how charging amenities are a major determinant of choice of lodging for EV owners. She was genuinely ignorant of the need. I tried to help her out, but it was very disappointing to me that even hotel consultants would still be clueless. So yeah, I think Hertz 100k Tesla move will change the conversation about EV ready accommodations. I'm hoping that some hotel chain will want to partner with Hertz, rolling out EV charging amenities at properties and marketing this to Hertz customers renting Teslas. I think its an obvious play for a nimble player.

About a month ago, I met someone who is an internal marketing consultant for a major hotel enterprise (several branded hotel chains). I mentioned to her how charging amenities are a major determinant of choice of lodging for EV owners. She was genuinely ignorant of the need. I tried to help her out, but it was very disappointing to me that even hotel consultants would still be clueless. So yeah, I think Hertz 100k Tesla move will change the conversation about EV ready accommodations. I'm hoping that some hotel chain will want to partner with Hertz, rolling out EV charging amenities at properties and marketing this to Hertz customers renting Teslas. I think its an obvious play for a nimble player.
Marriott is very good about installing Tesla destination chargers, more than the rest at least. In my neck of the woods many Superchargers are hosted by Holiday Inns. Not my favorite chain, but if you have an SC on site you are probably getting some of my business.

Marriott is very good about installing Tesla destination chargers, more than the rest at least. In my neck of the woods many Superchargers are hosted by Holiday Inns. Not my favorite chain, but if you have an SC on site you are probably getting some of my business.
Yes, that has been our experience. My spouse, as a Chartreuse 12* Black Iridium Marriott member has no problem getting us stays at Marriott and associated hotels with EV charging - several even have Tesla destination chargers along with others.

Well it’s not going to force funds to purchase TSLA but it’s going to force other car rental services to offer EVs. Others will soon join in with fleet purchases. When FSD is available, fleets will have the choice between offering a self driving car to their customer vs a horse carriage that you have to pick up sh1t. I am expecting a snowballing effect.
I agree with you.
But see wife approval of retirement investment decisions as more important than S&P inclusion!

Particularly for money flowing into the stock.

Reactions: BitJam
You said a mouthful there. I've spent 48 hours trying to figure out why a 100,000 order by Hertz matters at all when TSLA can't fill all the orders from consumer demand as it is. What about this makes people decide now to buy TSLA? Meanwhile there seems to be a complete lack of any discussion (IRL not here, I mean) about 2 enormous factories that are about to open and essentially double production capacity of one of the fastest growing companies in the world. If anything that should have been a slow-burning catalyst for sustained buying for the last 6 months at least. I don't get this game at all. It did, however, give me the opportunity to increase my holdings this year so....thanks? It just seems impossible that I'm that much smarter than all these "professionals," but whatever. Crazy times.
It's not a pure coincidence, but TSLA probably was already headed way higher no matter the Hertz deal. Tesla just had blowout earnings in a market of no other blowouts, with prospects of more to come.

I refuse to believe that the Hertz deal made Tesla 12% more valuable in any real, durable way.

Last edited:

It’s amazing in general the level of ignorance that surrounds EVs and Tesla even now in 2021.

I agree.
Being a student in electromechanical engineering myself (though in Belgium, so it's only ~900€/annum), I really don't think what I'm learning is that valuable. I find myself getting much more value in the last two Munro videos than in any course I have/had. With everything I'm learning trough following Tesla closely, I find that universities are lame (or maybe it's just the one I'm going to haha).
The idea of an "Elon-style first principles makeover" hypes me.
Thirty years ago, I was were you are now (engineering student at a Belgian university, electronics/software though) and also found my education pretty lame, certainly compared to the stuff I was learning on my own. But over the years I got more satisfied with my education because it gave me a useful background in lots of stuff I wouldn’t have investigated on my own. I hope you’ll find that too over the next decade.