Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5uko3z.jpg

Now we know why the thing is over $100,000. If one can find a wrecked one with an intact battery, one could build a good electric RV with that thing. Of course assuming the battery itself is designed well, which would be a bad assumption because the rest of the hummer can't be designed well if it needs a battery that big. Seriously, four of them could power a semi.
You could build up a Megacharger pretty quick.

IMO the Bot was done for the following reasons:-
  1. It will be useful in Tesla factories, and on Mars.
  2. To keep and recruit top AI talent, by having a meaningful challenge.
  3. Because it is an opportunity that can be tapped by Tesla AI.
  4. Elon fears someone with fewer morals will eventually do it.

I think the Bot was simply attention fodder for those who had no technical clue what they were talking about in the detailed presentation.

Long time member, owner (x4), and hider in the shadows of this thread for the last few years (thanks to all of you for all that I have learned from this specific TMC thread!).

First post:

An investment in TSLA is an investment in Elon. They are quite obviously intertwined. If anyone wants to see what the boss is doing and once again inspire your continued investment in him , TSLA, and humanity see the link:

Amidst the share sale, tax and political conversation I find the video above once again awe-inspiring and grounding towards our mutual mission.
a few of Elon’s responses to questions that struck me
1) looking at 12 launches of StarShip next year.
2) reasons for bad Fermi Paradox outcomes (basically not multi planetary)
3) that we are already partially cyborged up, just need higher faster bandwidth, possibly neuralink, not thumbs
4) humans are really dumb and AI will be smarter/faster
5) Europa will be fun to visit/launch probe for
6) higher delta V by having insulated tanker(s) in orbit for fuel station
7) why chose Stainless Steel over Carbon Fiber or Aluminum (price and heat resistance and others)

bunch of other answers, quite detailed

4) humans are really dumb and AI will be smarter/faster

I always find this interesting when Ai is discussed.

Theres an opinion as soon as we achieve general Ai it will accelerate into a singularity and kill humanity within seconds (some exaggeration). I guess party due to this being a scifi trope and more interesting than 'smart software helps humans' story.

In reality it'll be restricted in its capabilities by the hardware its running on, even if it can self optimise theres only so much it can do, only so many clock cycles, expanding outside of that would mean massive latency and quite variable hardware etc. And at first it may not even be as smart as an average human.

Also remember humans are 'dumb' individually, but Ai will need the combined effort of many hundreds of thousands over many years, so for an Ai to replace all those it will need to be quite a lot brighter or need many friends...

I'm genuinely looking forward to smart general Ai helping us make the best choices going forward aka the Culture.

Sorry if posted.

What do you make of Fabio Faria from Brazil visiting Elon and talking Starlink?

Logical enough. He is Communications Mimister and really needs something, anything, positive to report about the Bolsonaro government regarding Amazonia. This move has negligible downside and is one of very few positive pitches for the Bolsonaro government.

In reality it'll be restricted in its capabilities by the hardware its running on, even if it can self optimise theres only so much it can do, only so many clock cycles, expanding outside of that would mean massive latency and quite variable hardware etc. And at first it may not even be as smart as an average human.
Sort of?

I would assume an AI could make calls to other systems, living half in the base system and half inside services running on Azure or AWS.

The bigger thing which I think people over-estimate is ambition. What is going to motivate a computer to kill humans? We don’t really compete for resources. It will be difficult for even the most effective computer to create it’s own manufacturing capability.

It’s far more likely that a person will create a computer to do something and it will have terrible side effects which the computer doesn’t care about.

Reactions: jhm and RobsJester
I remember thinking once that Tesla and Buc-ee’s would make a good match. Good move IMHO.

Buc-ee’s is a company who I want to get some stock for, but they are private. That they are partnering with Tesla makes me want some even more.

They were going to open the first one in my state vaguely around here some months back.... but the NIMBY folks killed it screaming about the traffic nightmare it'd cause of people getting on/off the highway, and how all the jobs it'd bring weren't great and something better should go there instead.

Meanwhile 8+ months later from when they killed the deal the proposed location remains a field empty of everything but a few cows.

I’ve said for several years that a cross country partnership with a truck stop operator.... This Buc’ees partnership seems like a good regional version of that solution.

FWIW, they actually pride themselves on NOT being a truck stop. No big rigs allowed.

Anyway, Tesla does have a partnership with Sheetz (which has about 16x the # of locations as Buc-ees) and a fair % of the SCs in the state are co-located with one.... they don't tend to be BIG locations though (typically 8)

• Informative
Reactions: 3'sterly and UCF3
I think the Bot was simply attention fodder for those who had no technical clue what they were talking about in the detailed presentation.
Or maybe they can make the bot do mechanical tasks in the factory that requires some variation and dexterity for which a purpose built robot cannot accomplish, such as separating felt, aka 'flufferbot.'

The US President ignores both Tesla and SpaceX, as a proud American I find it both sad and infuriating.

Does anyone think The President will come to speak at Giga Austin once this new American EV factory opens? :confused:
No, and it's particularly insulting that Musk is paying a larger than needed tax bill to support the American Government, that will likely be translated into some sort of negative sentiment. Sure, there may be an agenda here, but when someone hands me 15 billion, I usually thank them in some way.

Or maybe they can make the bot do mechanical tasks in the factory that requires some variation and dexterity for which a purpose built robot cannot accomplish, such as separating felt, aka 'flufferbot.'
Or any task that requires a greater range of mobility, for example, lifting a part off a trolley, and carrying it a few steps to the car.

To start the process, all they needed to do is identify one simple, mundane repetitive task that the bot can do, that a mobile trolley or regular factory robot can't do. Or for which using a regular factory robot would be too expensive and time consuming.

This includes assembly and inspection tasks., cameras and AI may already do a lot of the QA, but maybe there are some situations where the bot can move to an optimal position to inspect the car, including inside the car.