Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to see Elon Musks face while the video of Mary Barra giving Biden a tour of GM‘s “State of the Art” factory and they walk past this monstrosity of a battery pack for the Hummer

Well the Hummer is a giant brick of a vehicle, GM needed an utterly huge battery pack just to give it an acceptable range.

Of course this is why it will never be a competitive vehicle either! :p

M
New Supercharger partnership with Buc-ee's

View attachment 734086

I remember thinking once that Tesla and Buc-ee’s would make a good match. Good move IMHO.

Buc-ee’s is a company who I want to get some stock for, but they are private. That they are partnering with Tesla makes me want some even more.

I've done it about four times before those lessons sunk in. I've warned other people to no avail. It seems this particular lesson needs to be learned the hard way. When stock won't move, the premium is too low to bother - sure, you can pick up lots of pennies in front of the steamroller. When the premium is high, it's high for a reason -> what one thinks impossible may happen.

I always find this mindset interesting. There are a crap ton of pennies out there and large moves happening within a trading week are actually kinda rare. Since the selling of Covered Calls is really an out of the money thing in discussion here... I'll keep it on that side. In the last 5 years, Tesla has had 3 weeks that had a 25+% move in a week from Monday open to Friday close, 5 weeks between 20-25%, and 9 weeks between 15-20%. So 3 times in 262 weeks would a 25% OTM call burn somebody or 1.1% of the time. 3% of the time for 20% plus. 97% of the time selling a weekly call 20% out of the money will expire worthless. This week opened around ~1000 and 1200C were selling at ~1.40 to start the week (were over 2 very briefly to start). So $1.40 per share. This is a high volatility time so that return is a little high, but >$1 has been the norm 20+% out of the money. Historically, ~3% of the time those options could be in danger. When you break down those 8 weeks, 3 were earnings related events, 3 were deliveries related, 1 was the split. 6 of 8 could have been avoided by avoiding those weeks entirely, or setting a higher strike to say ~30% (that Tesla has not crossed once in a single week in the last 5 years). 2 of 8 would have had to be rolled.

I get the risk may simply not be worth it to many, but there is a solid amount of money to be made by simply selling ~20% OTM calls. It can likely near or match dividend yields on a stock like XOM while still having the Tesla growth potential on the underlying stock. Personally, I don't want to deal with rolling them very often... on obvious catalyst weeks (quarterly earnings and deliveries) I don't sell. Most other weeks I set at 20-25% OTM. This return has allowed me to increase my base shares and take some other option risks over the past year+. Not for everyone, but the pennies can add up.

That is the 3000 pound battery pack for the Hummer.
Just a point when you choose for your 1st next generation EV a huge weighty inefficient vehicle that wont sell much and will require huge battery packs you really arent interested in producing EVs in volume. How many CUVs or Sedans could be built with each battery a Hummer will need?

I've done it about four times before those lessons sunk in. I've warned other people to no avail. It seems this particular lesson needs to be learned the hard way. When stock won't move, the premium is too low to bother - sure, you can pick up lots of pennies in front of the steamroller. When the premium is high, it's high for a reason -> what one thinks impossible may happen.
blanket statement.

CC's don't work when SP shoots up, CC's work when SP dips or stays stagnant. (When SP was down a lot last year, some one posted CC gains in the millions)
Selling CC's is a strategy just like any other option play.

We could all say the following:
.Selling puts does not work
.Buying options does not work
.Selling options does not work
.Selling/Buying BPS does not work
.Buying/Selling BPC does not work

. Even risk averse person might say -- buying stocks and being in markets doesn't work
.non-diversified portfolio does not work

Just one data point, but so far selling CC's has worked for me
(so far ... selling from pre-split 600's - I am still in the game.).

I have a mental pigg(CC)y bank with shares aquired by selling CC's - locked for use in future. cheers!!

Last edited:
Just a point when you choose for your 1st next generation EV a huge weighty inefficient vehicle that wont sell much and will require huge battery packs you really arent interested in producing EVs in volume. How many CUVs or Sedans could be built with each battery a Hummer will need?
GM tried the small battery pack city car with the Bolt and well it had issues and didnt sell either.

Reactions: Duffer and Ogre
New Supercharger partnership with Buc-ee's

View attachment 734086

I will point out **modest cough** that I was promoting this idea two years ago.

Thread 'Chargers coming at Buc-ees'
Chargers coming at Buc-ees

That's really sneaky of Ford and GM to both emerge with promising EV vehicles without telling us they are coming! I wish the article would have included some pictures of the surprise releases, at a minimum!

Is this a sign of a new strategy by legacy auto to surprise and delight their customers and put terror into their competitors with stealth reveals?

/s
Curious we GM. Can’t find an answer to this. Has GM started building bolts again or are they still in limbo...meaning they are currently building zero EV’s per day...in fourth quarter 2021.

blanket statement.

CC's don't work when SP shoots up, CC's work when SP dips or stays stagnant. (When SP was down a lot last year, some one posted CC gains in the millions)
Selling CC's is a strategy just like any other option play.

We could all say the following:
.Selling puts does not work
.Buying options does not work
.Selling options does not work
.Selling/Buying BPS does not work
.Buying/Selling BPC does not work

. Even risk averse person might say -- buying stocks and being in markets doesn't work
.non-diversified portfolio does not work

Just one data point, but so far selling CC's has worked for me
(so far ... from pre-split 600's - I am still in the game.).

I have a pigg(CC)y bank with shares aquired by selling CC's - locked for use in future. cheers!!

Big green days are a good time to sell covered calls... even days that shoot up ~5% can be a great time to sell calls. Hell, today 11/19 1250cs peaked at 2.28.

I think the Hummer is supposed to be a flagship vehicle to demonstrate GM’s ability to produce awesome and exciting EVs! Also to compete with the Cybertruck to show they can do big/ bad-axe trucks better than Tesla.

Sort of like the Tesla Roadster. Or the Cybertruck… but done completely wrong.

Mod: I want to try a new guideline. It seems that almost all postings that mention a politician's name become the kind of political postings that eventually need a moderator's action. I don't want to do "cleanup in Aisle 3". So, if a posting mentions a politician's name, even by proxy like "Stupid Florida Governor", it gets nuked as soon as I see it. Even if you wanted to say "Biden's Build Back Better", you could always just elide the name... who needs quadruple alliteration anyway?

This should enable reasonable discussion of economic consequences of policies without getting into the other kind of stuff that causes us to ban all politics.

I'll try it for a few weeks. We'll see.

-- ggr

His speech all about how Ford and GM will save the world. Gm blah blah blah, Ford blah blah blah. Not a word of Tesla.

The US President ignores both Tesla and SpaceX, as a proud American I find it both sad and infuriating.

Does anyone think The President will come to speak at Giga Austin once this new American EV factory opens? :confused:

I just want to see Elon Musks face while the video of Mary Barra giving Biden a tour of GM‘s “State of the Art” factory and they walk past this monstrosity of a battery pack for the Hummer

View attachment 734071

(Edit clarified what it was for)
Now we know why the thing is over $100,000. If one can find a wrecked one with an intact battery, one could build a good electric RV with that thing. Of course assuming the battery itself is designed well, which would be a bad assumption because the rest of the hummer can't be designed well if it needs a battery that big. Seriously, four of them could power a semi.

M

I remember thinking once that Tesla and Buc-ee’s would make a good match. Good move IMHO.

Buc-ee’s is a company who I want to get some stock for, but they are private. That they are partnering with Tesla makes me want some even more.
I’ve said for several years that a cross country partnership with a truck stop operator like Travel America, or Pilot or one of the other large private operators would be a good way to bring many more LARGE SC’s to the interstate highway system at probably lower cost. With these locations, there are often many services and options that I’m sure those locations would love to have more customers for. Also, they usually have a LOT of extra space, they are built usually outside the regular footprint of the nearest town, so land / real estate is probably cheap. And, they probably have access to lots of power and often redundant power due to their critical infrastructure status. Could it become the Hatfields and the McCoy’s in certain parts of the country, possibly but I think it would be a lower cost way to ultimately build out the SC network at scale. This Buc’ees partnership seems like a good regional version of that solution.

Last edited: