Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We see Teslas so infrequently around here that my kids (and maybe myself lol) call out every tesla we see. So when I get my Model Y in a few months I will be like you in 2018. I live in a relatively affluent neighborhood but I will be the first to own one.
Imagine, then, being a Model S P85 owner in Europe, March 2014, that was special, I can tell you! Three years the celebrity status lasted, and every single other Tesla waved, flashed lights, went generally nuts... And the kids, they'd be jumping up and down screaming "Tesla! Tesla!", it was great

So common now that most people don't notice, which just shows the success we've had

agreed, $5,000,000/share (presplit) is very silly, but $99,000 is 2% and BRK-A is 0.42 million/share.(less than a 50 bagger)
I could maybe go with a lot higher, but that is silly
(Remember when BRK/A was around $9200/share back in 1992, way too rich for me back then with babies to raise)

I'm just pointing out actual stock prices for HODL's like I and hopefully a lot of others are.
TSLA is already $30 => ~$5,600 is around a 180 bagger
exponential curves leave me a bit dizzy.

for a real hoot take ~9 minutes and watch the universe breathing on a powers of 10 exponential journey
(plus they use the anachronistic Angstroms!)
Charles and Ray Eames, my personal creative heroes. I only wish I had visited their studio while I was living in Venice back in '78-83...

Can someone remind me where we expect the first double casted Model Y to be made? Berlin or Austin?

Berlin most likely; Q1 on the road in Germany is my guess.
Both are set up for dual castings, so it's whichever starts production first.
Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2021 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
They're often -- if you look at the -- if you look at the history, so often, the seeds of defeat are sown on the day of victory. We will endeavor not to make that the case at Tesla. So let's see, the Model Y in Texas -- made in Texas and Berlin will be -- will look very much like the Model Ys we currently make, but there are substantial improvements in the difficulty of manufacturing. So for example, the Model Y made here [Texas] and in Berlin will have a cast front body and a cast rear body, whereas the one in California has cast rear body but not a cast front body.

We're also aiming to do a structural pack with 4680 cells, which is a mass reduction and a cost reduction, but we're not counting on that as the only way to make things work. We have some backup plan with a non-structural pack and 2170s essentially. But at a scale production, we obviously want to be using 4680s and structural pack. From a physics standpoint, this is the best architecture, and from an economic standpoint, it is the lowest-cost way to go, so the lightest, lowest cost.

Here's more on this topic:

Ok, y'all have got to come over to the numerology club. The signalling of a 5-1 split announcement on Dec 9th and possibly more is getting stronger by the day.

Even if it's all made-up, I wouldn't put it past Elon to try to make it come to pass. Just for the lulz.

Can someone remind me where we expect the first double casted Model Y to be made? Berlin or Austin?

Both. There's little point in buying all the extra robots to assemble and weld a stamped steel front subframe, when the plan is to use a casting.

The only issue is when those two plants start using 4680 structural packs. IMO, Giga Texas is likely to start with these given there close proximity to the Kato Rd pilot plant.

Giga Berlin will likely use Chinese LG Chem packs to begin, because their own 4680 cell plant is months away from operations. Futher, I expect Giga Berlin to install two (2) Model Y lines in the existing plant: the 1st one right away with the imported packs, and a 2nd one sometime later in the ramp up, as the local 4680 cells come online.

Cheers!

The best way I've found to give others information is to give them the book Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. The first person I gave it to was my Schwab consultant who was trying to talk me out of my Tesla stock years ago because it had an F rating. I gave him the book that Christmas, he bought the stock, sold enough a year or so later to get back his initial investment, and is a current holder on the rest. He hasn't told me to get out since.

Sure would be great if Vance published an updated version!

when I first moved to the Bay Area I went to the bookstore and bought that book. Guess who was there signing it? We talked a good long time. ;p

Imagine, then, being a Model S P85 owner in Europe, March 2014, that was special, I can tell you! Three years the celebrity status lasted, and every single other Tesla waved, flashed lights, went generally nuts... And the kids, they'd be jumping up and down screaming "Tesla! Tesla!", it was great

So common now that most people don't notice, which just shows the success we've had
If I take a stroll or am cycling I put my thumb up for every Tesla I see. However, I should admit that it must be rather ambiguous whether that is for the looks of the car, for their choice of driving more environmentally friendly or an indication of the direction of the stock price.

I’ve said for several years that a cross country partnership with a truck stop operator like Travel America, or Pilot or one of the other large private operators would be a good way to bring many more LARGE SC’s to the interstate highway system at probably lower cost. With these locations, there are often many services and options that I’m sure those locations would love to have more customers for. Also, they usually have a LOT of extra space, they are built usually outside the regular footprint of the nearest town, so land / real estate is probably cheap. And, they probably have access to lots of power and often redundant power due to their critical infrastructure status. Could it become the Hatfields and the McCoy’s in certain parts of the country, possibly but I think it would be a lower cost way to ultimately build out the SC network at scale. This Buc’ees partnership seems like a good regional version of that solution.
OT
For those of you following this space, NO I am not consulting with TravelCenter of America. I AM working with a private company however.

01:14+

BREAKING NEWS:

Tesla employees are allowed to listen to music at work.

Lora coming in strong with the hard hitting news stories.

Quoting Lora:

The second, harsher email [from Elon] reminded employees there are only three options when Musk sends directions: explain why he’s wrong, request further clarification, or execute.​

What Lora failed to mention is that the first option (in Elon's words: "Email me back to explain why what I said was incorrect. Sometimes, I’m just plain wrong!") is unheard-of behavior in corporate CEOs, according to Sandy Munro:

Corporate culture comes from the top. When ideas are judged on merit, not origin, in the entire organization, you get an organization like Tesla, attracting the most brilliant idea-generators in the world.

OT
Thought this was going to be my contribution to Q1 2022, but Q4 works too:
1CDAE3C6-9117-475A-AF37-BAA41696FEBB.jpeg

Cheers to everyone and have a nice weekend!

Just want to add my $0.02 regarding the flood BC had this time.

I think the fact that the provincial gov't decided to set a soft ration on gas, causing huge lineups at gas stations got many people in the area to really start thinking about EVs and especially Tesla. At least every single car owner who had to lineup at gas stations.

The convenience of ICE cars rely heavily on a very fragile and yet logistically sophisticated supply chain to ship gasoline/diesel around the country. Something major like this flood or severe weather can cause havoc in the supply chain.

Then it's EV's moment to shine. Everyone charges their cars at home. No fuss, no lines and most importantly, no worries. Yes, power does go down as we can see in the case of Texas. However, keep in mind that the problem with Texas was mainly a supply issue. The power delivery system itself was not a problem at all for most areas. Petro can have supply issues too. Making its wild swing in prices.

When there's a power outage, it's usually fixed rather quickly (often measured in hours) and because it's a part of major infrastructure, it's quite well maintained and the first thing to be restored in major events. And I don't know about everywhere, but here in Canada, the price for electricity is pretty much fixed. They might make changes once a year or two, but for the most part, it doesn't swing daily like gasoline.

The best way I've found to give others information is to give them the book Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. The first person I gave it to was my Schwab consultant who was trying to talk me out of my Tesla stock years ago because it had an F rating. I gave him the book that Christmas, he bought the stock, sold enough a year or so later to get back his initial investment, and is a current holder on the rest. He hasn't told me to get out since.

Sure would be great if Vance published an updated version!
Even better than Vance doing an updated Musk biography, is the fact that the great Walter Isaacson is working on one!