Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Washington State there needs to be a licensed driver behind the wheel (who is also sober). I imagine this is true in most US states, so I don't know why you continue to spread this nonsense. The fact that Florida and maybe a handful of other states may have more permissive laws does not change this basic fact.
I’ve seen Waymo w/o driver as far back as 2 years ago in Az. So this law is clearly different by State.

And perhaps the Mayor would not be required, but can’t imagine not getting their buy-in up front as I’m certain plenty would support it. In other words not Detroit, more like a small village in Florida somewhere. Hoping for Chandler Az myself. No not now, but not in a decade either. Either way, we’re all just guessing.

I’m more concerned about the interim as it gradually rolls out in its current form. Yes it can do stupid thing, but I can handle it fine and there’s a bit of a learning curve to know where hot spots are. Some will wreck, so prepare for the amplified media stories, and be safe!

Paging @LN1_Casey

Congrats on your new 'work' Supercharger: ;)

Cheers!

Not going to lie, I saw the Super Charger icon on my Tesla's screen on Christmas Eve and squealed like a little girl. My husband said he had never heard me sound so excited before, hahah.

I will stop by after work today and report.

All right everyone I’m back out of the game. Just sold at $1,113
I realize there are different strategies and all, and in no way mean to dismiss them out of hand. So take this at face value.

Lacking actual trading history to work out the math on profits for making shorter-term trades (after CapGains taxes are taken into account), I'm left quite curious how the numbers work out over time for those trading shares (not options).

In my spreadsheet I have a cell that calculates how much was gained per trading day* as a HODLer since the initial volley into this realm back in 2019. At this point gains have averaged 0.7% of total investment for each trading day since mid 11/19. *("Trading Day" excludes holidays and weekends)

Not to pry, but has anyone who strictly trades short-term ever worked out their total gains after the taxes are paid and then divided them by the number of trading days (over at least a year or longer), then, work out what percentage of their total investment this reveals as gains per trading day?

The answer could make for an interesting comparison between the HODL and Trader strategies. If this would be better discussed in another thread feel free to reply there and leave some breadcrumb to follow from here.

Edit: Noticed a flaw in the formula. I haven't taken out Long Term Cap Gains taxes from my figure, as I've haven't sold any shares. So, for comparison, if I sold everything today it would be 0.59% / trading day.

Last edited:
Interesting. I thinks odds are very high that we will be higher than this a month from now.
the fun part about options is that when you feel like selling shares to take profit then it’s time to sell covered calls and when you feel like buying shares because they look cheap it’s time to sell puts closer OTM. Options are interesting because you can be active in the market without affecting the main position average cost basis. I greatly prefer that than to day trade or swing trade a whole position and stay out of the market when the stock FOMOing makes it go higher and higher.

Is there going to be a lawsuit for every Tweet Elon writes? Instead of spending money to sue Musk, that Investor should have spent that money to buy in the 900s before it runs back in the 1300s before he even realizes what is happening.

the fun part about options is that when you feel like selling shares to take profit then it’s time to sell covered calls and when you feel like buying shares because they look cheap it’s time to sell puts closer OTM. Options are interesting because you can be active in the market without affecting the main position average cost basis. I greatly prefer that than to day trade or swing trade a whole position and stay out of the market when the stock FOMOing makes it go higher and higher.

Is there going to be a lawsuit for every Tweet Elon writes? Instead of spending money to sue Musk, that Investor should have spent that money to buy in the 900s before it runs back in the 1300s before he even realizes what is happening.
I put the Funny for "Of course I will be wrong" and then you edited that bit out. Sneaky of you.

Now, TMC won't let me change it to a Like. Just wanted to be clear which part it was that I thought was Funny.

I’m not selling but you do you and don’t worry about what people are saying. They mocked others for selling at $1200 a few weeks ago….
Absolutely no one should be scolded for selling when they want to sell......By the same token though, ya can't complain or wish for dips if you sell and the stock never looks back.

Q1 of 2020 was especially annoying when some people on these boards sold shares after the Jan rally, failed to buy back in during the March dip and the proceeded to complain nonstop and wish for dips to buy back in for the rest of 2020. It's bad taste.

restaurants at the Firebaugh supercharger

Counter suits are usually net useless but Tesla should file counter suits at least for legal costs which may make some think twice before filing and reduce these.

All right everyone I’m back out of the game. Just sold at $1,113
All sorts of legitimate reasons for selling. That's a personal decision for everyone.

If one is trying to time the market and trade TLSA, then that is a different story. I think for most of us here, holding throughout all the gains has been much more difficult than expected, but has been extremely rewarding, much more than trying to time entry and exits.