Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also seems to me like there is plenty of land at Austin, Berlin and Shanghai to build more production facilities if needed.

Austin in particular, has plenty of space, when Berlin and Austin are cranking out high volumes of Model Ys, funding that production expansion will not be difficult.

There may be some limitation, probably enough skilled workers, parts supply or raw materials. But I'm more or less expecting continuous construction at Austin for a few years, we will find out if I'm right.

I also think it is possible that Tesla may build more factories to produce energy storage batteries and possibly cells for energy storage. IMO there is more choice of location for this type of factory, less land, and fewer workers, should be required.
I wonder how HR is doing in Austin. Isn't a big metro region compared to the Bay Area (7.5 vs 2.2 mln). Lots of housing issues themselves in Austin (of course it is notorious in CA). Ramping to 1.5ml units will require a considerable workforce.

Reactions: MC3OZ and traxila
Congrats!

Got one almost a year ago, mostly 200-300 Mpbs down, 30-50ish up. Unfortunately, each day it had 5-15 minutes of no service, which was a deal-breaker for WFH and $TSLA ticker watching. Returned and back to regular fiber ISP.
If not yet, go to check out Reddit starlink sub for up to date news and rumors, and particularly installation tips.

Congrats!

Got one almost a year ago, mostly 200-300 Mpbs down, 30-50ish up. Unfortunately, each day it had 5-15 minutes of no service, which was a deal-breaker for WFH and $TSLA ticker watching. Returned and back to regular fiber ISP.
If not yet, go to check out Reddit starlink sub for up to date news and rumors, and particularly installation tips.
Thanks. Will end this discussion here. Getting hairy eyeball from the mods.

Nearly investment grade now...one upgrade away, instead of two it seems.
From the official article:
FACTORS THAT COULD LEAD TO AN UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE OF THE RATINGS
The ratings could be upgraded if Tesla successfully expands its global footprint, maintains a strong competitive global presence as other automakers offer an increasing number of battery electric models, and improves its product breadth.

Tesla sells vehicles, solar, battery, charging equipment, clothing, umbrellas, tequila and even belt buckles and whistles.... what other product breadth do they need to improve upon??

From the official article:
FACTORS THAT COULD LEAD TO AN UPGRADE OR DOWNGRADE OF THE RATINGS
The ratings could be upgraded if Tesla successfully expands its global footprint, maintains a strong competitive global presence as other automakers offer an increasing number of battery electric models, and improves its product breadth.

Tesla sells vehicles, solar, battery, charging equipment, clothing, umbrellas, tequila and even belt buckles and whistles.... what other product breadth do they need to improve upon??
Um, Etsy sells all that stuff.....plus oven mitts.

I wonder if this is just in time so that they can upgrade again after the 2021 Q4 results are reported. The upgrade criteria are:
  1. If Tesla successfully expands its global footprint, maintains a strong competitive global presence as other automakers offer an increasing number of battery electric models, and improves its product breadth.
  2. Tesla's ability to sustain an EBITA margin of at least 7% (measured excluding the contribution from emission credits), and a consistent, prudent financial policy are also important considerations for higher ratings.
  3. Further, Tesla will need to maintain very good liquidity, including ample cash and considerable committed availability under its revolving credit facility.
It seems like 2&3 are a lock. Would #1 be considered successful if they report that GigaBerlin and GigaTexas coming online in 2022 Q1? Or do they really need to add more models than are currently planned. (Semi, Cybertruck, Roadster, and $25k vehicle on the way.)

And don't forget that their current "product breadth" includes other things that other OEMs tend not to make themselves. Like seats, battery cells/packs, motors, inference chips, training chips, etc...

I wonder if this is just in time so that they can upgrade again after the 2021 Q4 results are reported. The upgrade criteria are:
  1. If Tesla successfully expands its global footprint, maintains a strong competitive global presence as other automakers offer an increasing number of battery electric models, and improves its product breadth.
  2. Tesla's ability to sustain an EBITA margin of at least 7% (measured excluding the contribution from emission credits), and a consistent, prudent financial policy are also important considerations for higher ratings.
  3. Further, Tesla will need to maintain very good liquidity, including ample cash and considerable committed availability under its revolving credit facility.
It seems like 2&3 are a lock. Would #1 be considered successful if they report that GigaBerlin and GigaTexas coming online in 2022 Q1? Or do they really need to add more models than are currently planned. (Semi, Cybertruck, Roadster, and $25k vehicle on the way.)

And don't forget that their current "product breadth" includes other things that other OEMs tend not to make themselves. Like seats, battery cells/packs, motors, inference chips, training chips, etc...
It seems more likely they are upgrading now so they can justify NOT upgrading based on the strength of Q4 earnings!

Wow, 930, can’t believe it.
congratz to everyone who bought in the 850s and made 8% intraday.
couldn’t do so, no dry powder, brokerage platform down, but I’m happy for everyone who managed to do so! Tomorrow we will see green!
I set a limit buy order at 850 as the stock dropped below 900 and went to sleep (Asia). Stunned to wake up this morning to see it bottomed out at just over 851 but managed to scratch and claw its way back to 930 at close. TSLA. Rarely a dull moment!

Pay attention, this kind of volatility hasn't been seen since 2001. Yeah, during THAT.

Stay frosty, play your cards close to the chest, and don't overextend on margin. Hedge if you are not in a good position because you are already overextended on margin.

Pay attention, this kind of volatility hasn't been seen since 2001. Yeah, during THAT.

Stay frosty, play your cards close to the chest, and don't overextend on margin. Hedge if you are not in a good position because you are already overextended on margin.
I feel like I lost way more money and regained and faster in one day last year during the first 10 year induced crash.