Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two ways to read our current macro situation, in my opinion:

1. Status Quo is Not Priced In / Market Holding its Breath for a U-Turn: Essentially, the market has not fully priced in a March rate increase, quantitative tightening beginning as early as June, and 3 rate hikes this year, and is only where it is because investors are holding out hope for a U-turn from the Fed tomorrow, backing off of the March rate increase. If we don't get that (which is extremely unlikely!), we head lower and are in a bear market for the next 3-6 months. This is the view espoused by Kevin Paffrath on Dave Lee's podcast the other day, and why he liquidated his portfolio.
  2. Status Quo is Priced In / Market Worried About "Shock and Awe": In this scenario, the market has priced in 3 rate hikes of .25 basis points and quantitative tightening beginning mid-to-later this year, and has dropped to where it has now because of concern with the possibility of an even more hawkish Fed that will give us more and/or bigger rate increases than already anticipated, and possibly quantitative tightening as soon as March. If the Fed stays the course and does not announce a more hawkish roadmap than what we've already been lead to anticipate, we'll get a relief rally as those fears dissipate.
I think we're in scenario two, and have placed my bets accordingly.
A correction of 25% in growth stocks is probably pricing 2 hikes of 0.25? I thought the discount rate made growth stock drop around 8% for every 0.25 increase?

If they announce 3 x 0.5 they will collapse even more. If they announce 3 x 0.25 starting March there will be a slow relief I believe. Now they have to decide to send the stock market into a crash and drop pension funds to fight inflation strongly or accept a higher inflation and maintain the actual correction.

(not trying to make any political stmt)

Aww, they are getting together to listen to the Tesla Earnings Report together.

I hope they all bring their anti-depressants.

(not trying to make any political stmt)
You really suggesting Biden should invite Elon to a big PR show about a bill Elon very publicly said shouldn’t happen? Nah. Even putting aside the fact Tesla is pretty much the only EV game in town that counts.

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The 36 people already waiting for the conference call to start 20 hours early. 🍻
Screenshot_20220125-204514~2.png

5Tw of energy by 2030? That's way beyond Tesla's guidance.
If energy is as large as automotive and automotive is 20MM * 40k ASP (lump FSD) = $800B , Megapack is $1MM for 3MWh in single units today, call it $0.5MM for 3MWh in 2030 at volume.
800B/0.5MM*3MWh=4.8TWh (yeah 1.6 million units)
Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2020 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
Elon Musk -- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer

Yes. I can't emphasize. I think long term, Tesla Energy will be roughly the same size as Tesla Automotive. So I mean, the energy business collectively is bigger than the automotive business.

So you feel like how big is the energy sector? Bigger than automotive. And in order to achieve a sustainable energy future, we have to have sustainable energy generation, which I think is going to be primarily solar and followed by wind, and those are intermittent. So you need to have a lot of batteries to store the solar energy because the wind doesn't always blow, and the sun doesn't always shine. So there's like three elements of the sustainable energy future: wind and solar sustainable energy generation; battery storage; and electric transport, those three things.

And the mission of Tesla is to accelerate sustainable energy, so I can't emphasize enough. Yes, the battery and solar will both be enormous, and they kind of have to be in order to -- for us to have a sustainable future. And we've got a great product road map on that front as well. So we're going to ship in the Megapack.

5Tw of energy by 2030? That's way beyond Tesla's guidance.
I wonder what the specific guidance for energy is?

Tesla aims to produce 3 TWh of cells in house by 2030. I estimate at least 1 TWh is for energy storage.

Tesla is already using CATL LFP for energy storage, and that likely gives them as easy path to use CATL Sodium cells.

I think Battery Day estimated the global demand for energy storage at 10 TWh per year, but gave no indication Tesla intended to provide half of it.

50% of annual global demand seems to high to me, there is a lot of competition in the energy storage space.

So I agree 5 TWh is too high, I would guess 1-2 TWh, does anyone have a better guess?

Edit: I see Mongo's calculation above, IMO there will be no problem in sourcing 5 TWh of cells by 2030-2035 if the demand is there.

Are they? Where are you getting that information? I thought they were still all 2170 based, mainly from LG/Samsung.

I should have said "planning to use" rather than "using", but plans are well advanced.

Even though MP2-XL will have a much larger footprint and offer more storage, our source says it will actually be cheaper to produce than the current MP1 system thanks to the use of CATL Prismatic LFP cells.
I'm also assuming this unofficial source is legit. It makes perfect sense to me, if Tesla are doing this, it is a logical and excellent idea.