Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest Model S Plaid teardown from Sandy and co., this time the rear assembly.

Select quotes:
  • "What a packaging symphony"
  • "You just look at this and... who's got anything like this? NOBODY."
  • "I'm hugely impressed"
  • "There's very few companies where we see so much cross-functional integration, and that's outstanding"
  • "What we're looking at it is a culture no one else has"

Thank you for the more accurate description of your thoughts. Your prior post did suggest you think of natural gas to be the clean way out. The weakness there is that the fixed-cost nature of NG (u/g pipeline distribution all the way to the end user is the bulk of this) and the natural monopoly that thereupon ensues means that shifting away from same effectively fatally cripples the development of solar / solar+batteries / etc. in any particular subdivision...===>...state or nation that binds itself to NG.

As far as emission of CO2 goes stacking up NG vs. other hydrocarbons, even there, unfortunately, NG fares poorly. These data: How Natural Gas Stacks up in the Race to Reduce Emissions show that on a per-distance traveled, NG is 30% less emissive...BUT, much worse, that work did not include at all the now increasingly more demonstrable field leakage all over the world of natural gas. Worst of all is that uncombusted NG which is, as you likely know, primarily methane, is a horrifically more potent greenhouse gas than is CO2.

In conclusion, shuffling along, so to speak, with current usage patterns and using the capital that otherwise would go toward building out NG operations to, instead, battery production and solar+battery facilities, plus some of the other routes you suggested, is the most cost-effective and environmentally appropriate path to take.
NG is simply a way for fossil fuel interests to keep their cash flow going, despite the risks to our planet's future. It is the exact OPPOSITE of Tesla's mission.

And, just to be sure everyone's on the same page, there are MASSIVE amounts of dumped/leaking methane that aren't even being counted. This from this morning's NPR Morning Edition:

Next step for TSLA investors: use some of those gains to get rid of your gas meter. Every month's gas bill pays for more methane dumping; let's lead on this.

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."​

― Anna Lappe

Imma ask for advice on this, but I think the way U.S. GAAP accounting rules are set up, they only have to book a loss to the value of their Rivian holdings if they sell shares in Q1.

Ergo, if Rivian is lower on Mar 31, 2022 than in was on Dec 31, 2021 then Amazon simply won't sell any Rivian shares, so the Amazon book value is unaffected.

AFAIK, Amazon did sell about 2% of their RIVN at the end of 2021Q4, which is what enabled them to revalue ALL of their RIVN assets on their books (sneaky, huh? that's why I'n not an accountant).

This is a distinctly DIFFERENT accounting treatment to the holdings of BITCOIN which must be rerated down if the price goes below Tesla's book value ant any point in the quarter (whether or not they sell any), but can only be rerated higher if they sell some.

GAAP humor. :p

Amazon will be fine, as long as RIVN doesn't fail long term, which I believe is unlikely since Amazon is their single largest customer. RIVN is like a mitochondria, captured and busy working away to power it's host cell.

But I don't expect Rivian to sell commercially significant numbers of vehicles to 3rd parties any time soon because of this dynamic.. That at least is good for Tesla.

Paging @st_lopes for the accounting treatment.

Cheers!
I’ll need to confirm, but a similar investment held under IFRS or Canadian GAAP would be revalued at each balance sheet date. With fluctuations impacting EPS. That is whether they sell the position or not.

The only difference on presentation between sold versus still held, is whether it appears under OCI or Net Income, but both flow to EPS.

NG is simply a way for fossil fuel interests to keep their cash flow going, despite the risks to our planet's future. It is the exact OPPOSITE of Tesla's mission.

And, just to be sure everyone's on the same page, there are MASSIVE amounts of dumped/leaking methane that aren't even being counted. This from this morning's NPR Morning Edition:

Next step for TSLA investors: use some of those gains to get rid of your gas meter. Every month's gas bill pays for more methane dumping; let's lead on this.

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."​

― Anna Lappe
This has been a multi year effort to try and reduce or stop this. Only recently receiving some funding. More was in BBB

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR and UncaNed
AMZN keeps squeezing up, trying to break 3150 for the 4th time now. Hopefully these same guys getting margin called are also short TSLA. :)
Really need that Giga Berlin announcement to create a spark to get TSLA moving higher, at least in the near time (1-2 months until Q1 P/D numbers). Maybe though Jan China numbers will give that spark if they're higher than 70k local/exports.

Otherwise I feel the 200 day is going to be constant magnet and unfortunately for the next 2 months or so, it will move up on the slower side since half of the 200 day is being made up over the stretch from July through October where the share price only moved from 600 to 700.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Almost a flight out of value.

Visa , Walmart, home depot, Deere, all big autos are all down today.

We see green however in the tech sector even with crazy 10 year. Bizzaro world
It’s been a bummer watching Teslas Q4 earnings and impending growth be ignored but having by far most of my portfolio in TSLA has given me the ability to watch what’s happened over the past 2 months (and really past year) and just enjoy watching the show……instead of watching with dread as some tech has been cut in half

Almost a flight out of value.

Visa , Walmart, home depot, Deere, coca cola, all big autos are all down today.

We see green however in the tech sector even with crazy 10 year. ARKK is up when 10 year hits 1 year highs..lol...Bizzaro world

Bitcoin up 10% too. Nothing matters!

Actually, the only thing I can think of is that the jobs report might temper recession fears, which maybe were weighing on the market more than rate hike fears...? Who the F knows...

It’s been a bummer watching Teslas Q4 earnings and impending growth be ignored but having by far most of my portfolio in TSLA has given me the ability to watch what’s happened over the past 2 months (and really past year) and just enjoy watching the show……instead of watching with dread as some tech has been cut in half
Having gotten used to this roller coaster ride, I totally agree!

But... Many of us are strongly in LEAPS. Many of us have trusted the devil and are using a little or a lot of margin (I've been there myself!).

IMHO this might be a good time to ask ourselves what would happen if there was a market crash or recession and TSLA dropped to like $400 or $500 for over 24 months. Unless you're just HODLING shares. Then you'd likely do OK in the long run unless you're deep in margin

Incoming FUD:

1643998565680.png

Mod edit: Did Fortune hornswoggle a gullible audience by creating a headline that is a question?

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been a multi year effort to try and reduce or stop this. Only recently receiving some funding. More was in BBB

Tangentially, this speaks to the stunning nature of what Elon and the Tesla Team have accomplished--they/we are going up against a massive industry with a long history of huge, privatized profits, but with the public picking up the long-term costs . . . .

Please try to remember this number to share with friends and family: "123." That's the amount of DAILY profit, in MILLIONS, that just one fossil fuel company, Exxon Mobil, made in 2012. Again, that wasn't revenue, it was PROFIT. Every single day. It wasn't even a record year:

The No. 1 U.S. oil company posted full-year earnings of $44.9 billion. While that was up 9% from 2011, it was about $300 million below the all-time annual earnings record for any company, the $45.2 billion Exxon Mobil earned in 2008.

Source: money.cnn.com/2013/02/01/news/companies/exxon-mobil-profit/index.html

(Note: Saudi Aramco's numbers make Exxon Mobil look like a bit player.)

While some may feel the existential risks to Tesla are very low now, we still really have to help Tesla as much as we can; we're in the early innings here and I suggest that there are ever-growing forces trying to stop their/our progress, and gladly using public money to do so. (It feels as though the FUD is actually growing in the media these days too?)

HODL with diamond hands, and buy a new Tesla (and TSLA), as often as possible.

Last edited: