Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Dealer lobby is not content banning the sale of Teslas (and other direct to consumer cars). Now they are also trying to ban OTA software updates in West Virginia so that consumers must go to the dealer to get updates.

Oh my! The idiocy of it all! This bill is aimed squarely at slowing Tesla down in West Virginia. I can see how legislators there might try to protect their constituents with auto dealerships so I wouldn't assume this can't pass.

But I know how to stop it. West Virginia is the nation's second largest coal producer and coal interests also have political pull. All we have to do is convince legislators this bill will harm sales of Teslas, the most popular car brand that only makes cars that can run on 100% clean West Virgina coal! 🤫

/s

Didn't bother to read this non-story story. Did it happen to coincide with the President's Day statuatory holiday? That's pretty typical for the timing of any minor tweaks to the assembly line, like lighting.

Futher, its only an issue if Model S production is GA constrained, which it currently is not. Its the chips, folks. ;)

Cheers!
On a whole Tesla is chip constrained, however I would have thought that they would prioritise S/X for chips at the expense of 3/Y given the higher margins.

Either way it's a non event. We don't expect a 100% uptime on any line.

Elon on the conference call talked much about FSD and the fact that investors still don’t get what a profound impact it will have (paraphrasin). Now I came across this from an employee in Austin

So, I’m a just wondering. Are we really on the verge of a big revolution and a huge increase in stocks and car value? Is this just big talk from Elon as he had a tendency to overstate things (especially with timelines). Just wondering what your feelings are on this.

Elon on the conference call talked much about FSD and the fact that investors still don’t get what a profound impact it will have (paraphrasin). Now I came across this from an employee in Austin

So, I’m a just wondering. Are we really on the verge of a big revolution and a huge increase in stocks and car value? Is this just big talk from Elon as he had a tendency to overstate things (especially with timelines). Just wondering what your feelings are on this.
The answer is maybe, obviously.

I'm trying to tabulate final 2021 numbers for model sales to update my September projection (my sample acct at MarkLines has lapsed). In the meantime, I found this.

TMC seems to debate endlessly about if and when GM and / or Ford will drop the ball on EV, but I think we sometimes overlook Hyundai. Autocar indicates that Hyundai has just passed both Nissan and Ford to become global no.4. Globally, Hyundai sells more vehicles than either Ford or GM. I think Hyundai may be even more compelling (healthy) competition than VW considering tech, batteries, distribution:

View attachment 772124

Anecdotally, (finally!) my brother just became the second EV owner in my family when he bought an Ioniq 5. It's a pretty good car, even in Sandy's opinion, and costs - in Canada - roughly $20 K less than a comparable Model Y (AWD, 75+ KWh battery). Yes, we've noted their issue with pouch battery packs, but the software seems to put strict limits on charging rate accounting for the ambient temperature.

Time will tell.

Funnily enough a member of my family has a Hyundai/Kia BEV, and yes it has also been hit by the LG pouch problems. So (according to them) the software now has a smaller usable SoC (so room reserved both at top and bottom of the SoC), throttled charging rate, and no parking allowed inside. That doesn't just sound just like machine alignment issues affecting only tabs and suchlike. Can you say dendrites ?

More generally the problem with Hyundai/Kia in the BEV-space is their access to batteries. They appear to be getting approx 75% of their batteries from LG with lesser amounts primarily from SKI and Panasonic. They will need to resolve this urgently if they are to recover the ground they are losing. A problem they share with every other LG pouch user.

1645526473915.png

From The Limiting Factor Connecting the Dots - good source on YouTube in my book
How GM Sold America and became China Motors. Thanks for the Bailout, though (Part 1)

A dive into the amazing story of how General Motors, WHILE BEING BAILED OUT BY AMERICAN TAXPAYERS, secretly closed a deal with SAIC; A deal whose price they and we are paying to this very day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 4680 will probably be with us for 40-80 years in large quantities but not for centuries except perhaps in the same way you can still buy a 6V lantern battery.

People who think better batteries are needed before EV's are so practical they will easily displace all ICE vehicles either don't understand how good current batteries like the 2170 and the soon to be released 4680 are, or they are deliberately spreading FUD in a lame attempt to make the current state of the art batteries seem like they are not good enough to adopt without serious reservations.

Sure, improvements are always welcome and that's true whether talking about batteries or the reliability and robustness of ICE engines and transmissions. It should be constantly pointed out to these people just how excellent current batteries are and that, as charging networks grow into the nooks and crannies off the beaten path, less benefit will be provided by more energy dense batteries that charge a bit more quickly. Sure, any improvement is always welcome, but it won't be a game-changer. More important is making batteries cheaper and that will happen from scale, even without major breakthroughs.
While the basic physical premise is valid the advances in nanotechnologies, control of small particles, reusable rockets, ubiquitous functioning neural networks, graphene and so on…it requires hubris or ignorance to imagine that any given current technology will be durable.

Consider that a working, energy-producing fusion reactor just happened. I remember a physics professor saying it could not happen because fusion was only possible within stars.

That is not to say an obsolete technology will disappear. After all one can still buy reins, saddles and iceboxes.

Just don’t be so foolish as to think that just because the stable elements in the periodic table are known elemental innovation is suddenly ended.

Just a single example: the sodium ion battery.
That is well beyond even prototyping and is nearing commercial deployment.
Much more remains to be done.
In Tesla discussions and many research papers new nano-engineered separation solutions are producing advances in charging, discharging and stability. This is not physics, but engineering.

To assume that elemental properties cannot be engineered to optimize material use is to deny the most fundamental of human abilities.

Respectfully, you have quite completely missed the point. Tesla, SpaceX and Elon Musk are all about engineering. Physics has laws. Engineers, at their best, work with the laws to do impossible things.

SEC may have leaked non-public information after recent filing by Musk:
(Link to filings)
Docket for United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Musk, 1:18-cv-08865 - CourtListener.com

(Article with broken link)
Tesla CEO Elon Musk's lawyer alleges that SEC leaked info from federal investigation
Dear Judge Nathan: We came to Your Honor this past week to express grave concerns about the conduct of the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC” or the “Commission”), which has failed Tesla shareholders and weaponized this Court’s consent decree for illicit ends. In its written response to this Court, the Commission tried to waive away these concerns. At the same time, the SEC does not and cannot deny that it has yet to pay the $40 million-and-counting that it promised to pay Tesla shareholders. See Sec. & Exch. Comm, Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge (2018-226) (Sept. 29, 2018) SEC.gov | Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge. More than 1,200 days following the SEC’s receipt of the funds in question, it has not distributed a penny.

The Commission’s claim that its “staff have not issued any subpoenas in this litigation” is disingenuous at best. Lest this Court be misled, we are obliged to pinpoint specifics that may shine light on the Commission’s representation. In a subpoena sent to Tesla in November 2021, the Commission specifically demanded documents concerning my clients’ “compliance or noncompliance with Tesla’s disclosure controls and procedures, executive communications policy, external communications policy, other policies or procedures relating to public statements or communications by Tesla executives, or the final judgment or amended final judgment in SEC v. Musk, 1:18-cv-8865-AJN (S.D.N.Y.).” The Commission issued a subpoena with similar demands to Mr. Musk. But our concerns now go well beyond niceties of the Commission’s representations. It has become clearer and clearer that the Commission is out to retaliate against my clients for exercising their First Amendment rights—most recently by criticizing the Commission on the public docket and by petitioning this Court for relief. Upon information and belief, after I filed the February 17, 2022 letter to this Court regarding the Commission’s conduct, at least one member of the SEC staff responded by leaking certain information regarding its investigation. This leak is emblematic of the vindictive, improper conduct that occasioned my letter: the SEC is retaliating against Mr. Musk and Tesla, without answering to the constraints of principle or law in so doing. See 17 CFR § 203.2 (“Information or documents obtained by the Commission in the course of any investigation or examination, unless made a matter of public record, shall be deemed non-public . . .”); 17 CFR § 203.5 (“Unless otherwise ordered by the Commission, all formal investigative proceedings shall be non-public.”). By letter dated February 19, 2022, we respectfully requested that specific SEC staff members preserve their records and devices. We have also reported the matter to the SEC Office of Inspector General. No denial has been forthcoming as of yet. So that the Court is advised of the premises and able to address the ostensible misconduct before it, we now respectfully seek on Case 1:18-cv-08865-AJN Document 64 Filed 02/21/22 Page 3 of 3therecord assurance that the own rules and policies, and is Commission otherwise has not leaked investigative details in violation of its acting in accordance with the law.

Respectfully submitted /s/ Alex Spiro Alex Spiro ,

In his decision, Judge James C. Dever III of the US District Court for the Eastern District of N.Carolina wrote:
“The allegations are bare assertions that do not plausibly allege that the yellow band made the car unsafe, unreliable, or inoperable.”

He also noted that:
“Putting aside whether Tesla allegedly changed the terms of the warranty, plaintiffs do not plausibly allege that Sasso went online in 2016 to get a copy of the warranty or that the correct warranty was not available to Sasso online when Challenge Printing purchased the car.”

Why Tesla and GM want to be big in a new kind of car insurance business
GM following Tesla, using it's OnStar data to provide driver habits based insurance this year.

On Star Insurance: we can save you a lot because of your safe driving habits but your premium is 500 a month because unfortunately your EV of choice likes to catch on fire.
In context, this approach, called telematics, has been used in fleet insurance for decades, using proprietary tracking/route management hardware and software. In automotive use a number of vehicle insurers have used such approaches with the Progressive, Nationwide and State Farm US ones among the the most widely deployed. Now others are entering the field:

Because both Tesla and On Star use always on, vehicle active reporting they may have distinct advantages over the others simply because they have more trackable parameters than nearly all the other consumer used vehicles. Tesla, by using existing comprehensive OTA vehicle data, has far more raw data than do any others.

As this evolves there will be more and more jurisdictional question about limitations on personal vehicle data use. California has led, with a very comprehensive consumer data use law, that now is applied to telematics also, very specifically to Tesla:

Since many auto insurers have been pursuing telematics the California rules simply increase consumer costs and effectively prohibit consumer consent.

Without question everything from the Tesla safety score to data collection for FSD can be subjected to similar scrutiny. Several specific incidents in China have shown this trend, including vehicle cameras of all types. It is crucial to understand that the driver assistance and autonomy process is leading to rules that are 180 degrees opposed to consumer/public privacy rules.

I bolded that paragraph because I have not yet seen any discussion anywhere that considers how these two trends are so diametrically opposed .

Last edited by a moderator: