Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was seriously contemplating taking out some $$ - to cover my taxes and Model X monies by closing all CC, verticals and what have you's and just sit with Stocks for a while ...

but ended up adding 2 more jan 24 990 leaps ;) SP was $831 ....

taxes in April, X delivery pushed out to July ... so got some time.

++Last week, closed all CC's in two other accounts, not selling CC's till 900's or after Austin deliveries ... which ever comes 1st. Still accumulating shares, so all CC monies go to buying more shares

The problem is that nobody believes it anymore. Since I've been in beta I've only seen incremental improvements, certainly not exponential improvements. While I've seen improvements, I use beta now less than ever because its more erratic. I'm somewhat bearish on FSD as of late. Hopefully that will change in V11.

Really? Hmm. My hot take from that tweet was that they're moving to ensure a continued large pool of bet atesters in the case of any future missyhaps... ;)

Cheers!

Really? Hmm. My hot take from that tweet was that they're moving to ensure a continued large pool of bet atesters in the case of any future missyhaps... ;)

Cheers!
That part sounds great. God forbid the hacks at the NHSTA manage to end the public beta, if they have 10k employees on Beta at that point they could easily pivot and keep progress going.

That, my friend, is what I call a broad brush.
I, for one, believe FSD is close.

Just got the latest update, but I am not home, so I can't check it out.

I used it over the weekend, and again to drive to work this morning.

It still gets in the wrong lanes pretty regularly....including cases where it should be really easy not to (like getting into a turn lane that has big, clear, white painted turn arrows in it, when the route needs to go straight). Minorly annoying intervention when traffic is light, more significant PITA when it's not. Also still asks for confirmation to turn at some intersections when it's pretty clear visibility with nobody coming, and is painfully slow at others even though it does eventually go.

Having been on the beta for a while now I think "FSD is close" in that maybe by end of year they can get the current L2 version in wide release, US/Canada only... maybe.

I'd bet money 0% chance of anything higher than L2 by EOY and 0% it's wide in the EU this year.

Anyway further talk prob should here:

That, my friend, is what I call a broad brush.
I, for one, believe FSD is close.

Just got the latest update, but I am not home, so I can't check it out.
I would guess that opinions may vary depending on your particular area. A few particular routes I happen to drive regularly, the beta has a very difficult time with and has not improved as the versions have been released. While I do see improvements in some areas of driving with new versions, the way it reacts to the situations which cause problems for me is not very inspiring. To me it just serves to highlight how many edge cases exist, and how far away we are from it working well broadly. I'm bullish long term, but I am of the opinion that it will take quite a bit longer than recently estimated. I'd be super happy to be proven wrong though!

FSD Beta isn't even ready for wide distribution to the fleet as a Level 2 ADAS requiring constant supervision much less as a Robotaxi driving itself around.

Wide distribution to the fleet as a Level 2 ADAS will hopefully happen by the end of the year and remove the Safety Score hoops, the next step might be a Waymo-style heavily geofenced Level 3-4 type of offshoot set up in California or some other locale with a good climate. And that will begin the next process of iterative improvements.

This is not a controversial opinion among people who actually follow these developments closely.

Thanks for that context. Appreciated.

I am simply worried that Musk however famous he is, is taking on so publicly a powerful govt entity which has the power to give him any number of troubles. Even shut him down. With Elon and Tesla being attacked by multiple institutions, some local some federal I am worried there is a confluence of bad things happening at the same time.

We all know media will gleefully give one-sided versions of the happenings, because they all hate him and Tesla. How many forces can he and Tesla can take on at the same time and come out of it?
You express fear of the unknown and fear of the worst your imagination can conjure. That kind of fear is almost always bigger than its britches and simply doesn’t deserve acknowledgement.

I say, bring it! They should do their damnedest and in doing so must expose their evil. Let’s see their hand.

In the end, people will either stand up for the good guy or they won’t. Without hope we have nothing to live for. Even, I, with barely a shred of faith in mankind, clings to hope.

So, I’m a just wondering. Are we really on the verge of a big revolution and a huge increase in stocks and car value? Is this just big talk from Elon as he had a tendency to overstate things (especially with timelines). Just wondering what your feelings are on this.

If you are talking about the TSLA share price over the next two months or so, I honestly can't say.

If you are talking about TSLA over the next 2 years, yes, I think Tesla is on the verge of a big revolution and a massive increase in the share price. It's a no-brainer. And this is true without FSD being fully solved. If it's solved that soon, my, oh-my!

Last edited:
FSD Beta isn't even ready for wide distribution to the fleet as a Level 2 ADAS requiring constant supervision much less as a Robotaxi driving itself around.

Wide distribution to the fleet as a Level 2 ADAS will hopefully happen by the end of the year and remove the Safety Score hoops, the next step might be a Waymo-style heavily geofenced Level 3-4 type of offshoot set up in California or some other locale with a good climate. And that will begin the next process of iterative improvements.

This is not a controversial opinion among people who actually follow these developments closely.

From a long term investment standpoint, it doesn't really matter when Robotaxis happen as long as Tesla is the first one to get to a large scale deployment. Think about the Model 3 ramp, they were a couple months behind production targets, but it didn't matter in the long run because no one else was even ramping at all. As far as current scale, it seems as if Tesla is in the lead by ~2 orders of magnitude 60,000 Beta vehicles Vs 700 Waymo cars (In California). Granted this really isn't an apples to apples comparison (Tesla is geoscaled, Waymo has higher localized ability but is geofenced), however it does lend credence to the thought that Tesla is currently in the lead in getting to a scaled robotaxi service.

If you are talking about TSLA over the next 2 years, yes, I think Tesla is on the verge of a big revolution and a massive increase in the share price. It's a no-brainer. And this is true without FSD being fully solved. If it's solved that soon, my, oh-my!

True. The aggressively improving financials alone will compress the PE Ratio to the point where TSLA has to go sharply up over the next few years, and this is based only on the automotive business. If FSD contributes anything at all then it will be a very positive multiplier. :cool:

Imagine in a city that everyone is in a Tesla running FSD beta. Reduce speed down by 15% and we can see these autonomous cars doing very well. Many of the intervention I see myself engaging are what I call courtesy interventions to respect other human drivers. This means going above the speed limit, pressing on the accelerator for a turn, or rolling stops (until it was updated away). However if there are no humans driving and we are all in the back seat reading a book, no one cares about making a turn too slowly, or the car traveling at or slightly below the speed limit.

Its actually other people driving that makes it seem like FSD beta couldn't handle most situations for very long. Lots of disengagement would have been erased if the car was driving slower so the computer having more time to react. However we have to drive 10% above the speed limit or else we see road rage.

I don't see many see the program in this perspective...like how close we are if there are no human drivers to deal with.

This is so incredibly true and relevant. We have FSD beta on both our vehicles. Overwhelming reason I disengage or do something different from FSD is to avoid road rage from aggressive drivers. It’s comical that human drivers brought the stop sign roll to the attention of nhtsa when humans do the roll every damn time. It’s even to the point where I don’t feel safe not rolling through with another vehicle behind me.

Here's the actual letter Elon's lawyer went to the SEC today. Interesting that they note the SEC hasn't disbursed the $40M owed to Tesla shareholders yet. Yeah, where's my check?

----

Re: SEC v. Elon Musk, No. 1:18-cv-8865-AJN; SEC v. Tesla, Inc., No. 1:18-cv-8947-AJN

Dear Judge Nathan:

We came to Your Honor this past week to express grave concerns about the conduct of the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC” or the “Commission”), which has failed Tesla shareholders and weaponized this Court’s consent decree for illicit ends. In its written response to this Court, the Commission tried to waive away these concerns. At the same time, the SEC does not and cannot deny that it has yet to pay the $40 million-and-counting that it promised to pay Tesla shareholders. See Sec. & Exch. Comm, Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge (2018-226) (Sept. 29, 2018) SEC.gov | Elon Musk Settles SEC Fraud Charges; Tesla Charged With and Resolves Securities Law Charge. More than 1,200 days following the SEC’s receipt of the funds in question, it has not distributed a penny.

The Commission’s claim that its “staff have not issued any subpoenas in this litigation” is disingenuous at best. Lest this Court be misled, we are obliged to pinpoint specifics that may shine light on the Commission’s representation. In a subpoena sent to Tesla in November 2021, the Commission specifically demanded documents concerning my clients’ “compliance or noncompliance with Tesla’s disclosure controls and procedures, executive communications policy, external communications policy, other policies or procedures relating to public statements or communications by Tesla executives, or the final judgment or amended final judgment in SEC v. Musk, 1:18-cv-8865-AJN (S.D.N.Y.).” The Commission issued a subpoena with similar demands to Mr. Musk.

But our concerns now go well beyond niceties of the Commission’s representations. It has become clearer and clearer that the Commission is out to retaliate against my clients for exercising their First Amendment rights—most recently by criticizing the Commission on the public docket and by petitioning this Court for relief. Upon information and belief, after I filed the February 17, 2022 letter to this Court regarding the Commission’s conduct, at least one member of the SEC staff responded by leaking certain information regarding its investigation. This leak is emblematic of the vindictive, improper conduct that occasioned my letter: the SEC is retaliating against Mr. Musk and Tesla, without answering to the constraints of principle or law in so doing. See 17 CFR § 203.2 (“Information or documents obtained by the Commission in the course of any investigation or examination, unless made a matter of public record, shall be deemed non-public . . .”); 17 CFR § 203.5 (“Unless otherwise ordered by the Commission, all formal investigative proceedings shall be non-public.”).

By letter dated February 19, 2022, we respectfully requested that specific SEC staff members preserve their records and devices. We have also reported the matter to the SEC Office of Inspector General. No denial has been forthcoming as of yet. So that the Court is advised of the premises and able to address the ostensible misconduct before it, we now respectfully seek on-the-record assurance that the Commission has not leaked investigative details in violation of its own rules and policies, and is otherwise acting in accordance with the law.

Respectfully submitted,

/s/ Alex Spiro

Alex Spiro

In case y'all forget...since we are getting older by the minute:

1645544944221.png