Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately the 529 Fund we set up for our grandson doesn’t allow individual stocks. IIRC, someone here posted that this is actually a 529 rule. Closest we could get would be to pick a fund with a decent amount of TSLA in it. And wrt to your other point, I suspect most kids would rather go to an established college vs one their family bought for them lol - a “ family owned college,” might be a little too insular for them. Just sayin..
If you're looking for a mutual fund holding TSLA... BPTRX is ~50% TSLA and ~5% SpaceX.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220401-112004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220401-112004_Chrome.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 94
One thing I learned a long time ago is to not make investment decisions based upon tax benefits. Any fund that doesn't allow you to hold Individual stocks for the long-term is probably not worth having. Just buy the TSLA and pay the long-term capital gains when your kids are of age. You will be glad you did.

If I'm wrong, you can tell your kids to get a job! 🤪
I actually wanted to just get the grandson a single separate share and get the certificate for it - may still do that. I thought it would be a good educational tool. He already has a car (radio flyer version), and appreciates mine. And a piggy bank. Adding the certificate and showing him how his stock is going up, would likely pique his interest. Otherwise I agree with both you and @CHGolferJim.

I actually wanted to just get the grandson a single separate share and get the certificate for it - may still do that. I thought it would be a good educational tool. He already has a car (radio flyer version), and appreciates mine. And a piggy bank. Adding the certificate and showing him how his stock is going up, would likely pique his interest. Otherwise I agree with both you and @CHGolferJim.
I gifted my nephew enough credit for a single share when TSLA was $700 pre-split. My brother didn't cash it un until the stock had been cut in half during covid so he had two shares. Then they split so the little guy is doing pretty well for a 3 year old. It took me until I was maybe 27 to have a net worth of $11k.

I used stockpile as I couldn't open up the account directly (as easily).

Found this article interesting Toyota, GM sales fall on chip shortage, supply chain snags

specifically this bit:

GM said quarterly sales fell 20.1% to 512,846 vehicles, sending its shares down 1.04% at $43.28 in the morning trade. The automaker said that improved semiconductor supplies helped production in the quarter, but it expects inventory to remain relatively low throughout the year due to high demand.

Toyota said sales fell nearly 15% to 514,592 vehicles.

Nissan reported first-quarter sales of 201,081 vehicles, down 29.6%.

I'm at 99% in TSLA. I spend hours every day thinking what to do with the last 1%. I could bet on Block Inc but that's far too risky IMO. I'll probably be reasonable and buy more TSLA.

I'm only about 95% invested into TSLA.

My girlfriend used to heckle me about having too much of my money in TSLA as well, she didn't think EV's were more than a fad and she strongly wanted me to "diversify". That was back in 2018-2019 timeframe. She was like that until about January of 2020, which is when she decided to stop second guessing my investment decisions. :p

Now that I own a Model Y she's come full circle and even wants one of her own in the future. Of course I'll have to buy it for her, which ironically I could easily do because of my TESLA investments. The irony of that is not lost on her. :cool:

Now would be a good time as well with the stock dividend on the horizon...

That is a little out of date: BPTRX - Baron Partners Mutual Fund - All-Cap Growth

View attachment 788844

Though I prefer it having more SpaceX exposure...

Back in 20Q4/21Q1, Ron Baron's fund sold about 25% of their TSLA holdings between $450-900 per share (avg 660 or 670) because that was "the prudent thing to do". As of today, that a 52% CAGR they've "prudently" avoided. :p

Baron's fund is not even swing trading like ARK (who have also made mis-steps trying to time the Market).

Here's some highlights from Ron over the years (since 2018)

Definately better off holding TSLA directly rather than at the discretion of a 3rd-party.

Last edited:
Found this article interesting Toyota, GM sales fall on chip shortage, supply chain snags

specifically this bit:

GM said quarterly sales fell 20.1% to 512,846 vehicles, sending its shares down 1.04% at $43.28 in the morning trade. The automaker said that improved semiconductor supplies helped production in the quarter, but it expects inventory to remain relatively low throughout the year due to high demand.

Toyota said sales fell nearly 15% to 514,592 vehicles.

Nissan reported first-quarter sales of 201,081 vehicles, down 29.6%.
GM sales drop 20%, shares drop 1%.

If TSLA sales dropped 20% in a quarter, the world would be crying that Tesla is doomed and TSLA would drop 30%.

Lmao CNBC trying to throw the love on NIO yet their guest pours cold water on it by saying Chinese consumers have a distrust for domestics and prefer.... Tesla.

LOLZERS
Just FYI from my dad's pro conservative party propaganda of China. There's a strong push of anti-Elon sentiment even prior to the Ukraine war. It's all from the same BS brake failure/fail autopilot crowd. The latest prior to the war was going after Elon's starlink for being a threat to Chinese national security because SpaceX has a contract with the U.S department of defense. Those people push BS conspiracies all day every day to discredit Musk and his companies.

I'm only about 95% invested into TSLA.

My girlfriend used to heckle me about having too much of my money in TSLA as well, she didn't think EV's were more than a fad and she strongly wanted me to "diversify". That was back in 2018-2019 timeframe. She was like that until about January of 2020, which is when she decided to stop second guessing my investment decisions. :p

Now that I own a Model Y she's come full circle and even wants one of her own in the future. Of course I'll have to buy it for her, which ironically I could easily do because of my TESLA investments. The irony of that is not lost on her. :cool:

She may now even want to marry you.

Volatility is the Risk - if you use any form of leverage: margin, options.

Don't ask me how I know.

Edit:
Volatility is also Risk if your time horizon does not approach infinity.
For example TSLA in college fund of High Schooler might not be a good choice, while TSLA in college fund of pre-schooler is a better choice.
A year and a half ago I sold TSLA from my 18 year old's account figuring with him entering into college we should be more safe and conservative. It took about a month of seeing the account balances of his younger siblings rapidly catching up to his for me change my mind and hastily get him back into TSLA. All my kids (12, 15 & 20) are 100% in TSLA.

In the case of your second sentence, however, the full story is somewhat worse than the truth as you write. That is, for some time now automakers - assuredly in cahoots with dealers - have written their auto manuals in such a fashion as to make it seem as though what @Artful Dodger is the truth. In other words, they're dissembling; they're tergiversating. And there is a special place in Hell for those.
Worse than that, while it's legally possible, that doesn't mean it's practically possible, and this does seem to be the case with the Ioniq.

OT, wish this was an April Fools joke... My 2021 Model Y was t-boned, I'm fine, walked away. Hopefully it's totalled and we can get some 4680 batteries (think positive). What's the lead-time on a new Y these days?

It was just me driving the car, completely fine (left arm abrasion is all), the airbags deployed, and the truck that hit me was a 4-door full-sized GMC pickup truck. That driver was also safe. Maybe 30 mph at impact (speed limit was 45, hard to judge when it's coming at you, looked more like 2 mph). Ironically, his airbag didn't deploy as he hit square into my driver's side hitting both doors but mostly the rear door (it needs a new left half.) Glass in my pants was a neat trick, I can't explain that part. Was my first accident ever. Super glad it was a Tesla.

Seems I missed a good story through. My tow driver told me there was a traffic jam up the street from a stuck Waymo in the same mess, and no driver. It was worth the laugh at a bad time. I didn't know they were doing that again, so I can't confirm but not surprised either.

OK, back to life at hand. If anyone has some insights on this situation like getting the video, repairs, totals, time-frame now, let's do it offline, thx.

GM sales drop 20%, shares drop 1%.

Prolly 'cuz GM does make any money selling vehicles; they make their $$$ selling parts to repair their vehicles (millions of used GMs on the road).

Even if GM sales drop to zero, they'll make money on spares for 10+ years. That's what Elon was referring to as a 'barrier to entry' for the automarket. New companies have to compete with the fleet.