Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the front casting I would not be surprised if you could tell a difference in the way the car dries. It will be much stiffer. Seems they tried very hard in the videos to hide any front end shots of the body.
The problem I have here is the word much. The Tesla model three and Y are very stiff cars even when made without castings. It’s not like they’re driving around the road flopping around like a convertible that wasn’t designed to be a convertible would. So yes the cast front end will be stiffer. But unless you are driving around on a course designed to highlight that difference, 90% of the drivers will not see the difference. Now The 200 pounds possible weight loss from all those factors combined would be noticed by a performance driver on a track. And if you’re carving up twisty roads for fun, you might see it too. The average driver on the other hand will have no idea at all that anything is different.

Here is a ~45 minute live stream of walking around inside Giga Texas:

Quality can be lacking a little at times... (Until he switches to WiFi about 15 minutes in.)

Some notes of what you can see:
  • The tour is much more free-form than the one in GigaBerlin. It seems like they can wander around all over the factory.
  • It shows the new shorter drive unit production line, which I thought wasn't up and running at GigaTexas yet. (I thought I heard that motors had to be imported from GigaNevada.)
  • Decent shots of the front single piece casting in vehicles.
  • It looks like at least some portions of the production line are split with two running in parallel.
  • An "exploded" Model Y showing the structural pack.

I hope we get some better, non-live stream, videos of the tour to be able to see more details.

Last edited:
Ugh. I guy with a ticket to Cyber Rodeo tweets at Elon looking for another ticket so his wife can attend. Elon tweets back 'door not gonna be that strict'. You go all 'Woodstock'... :p
Local folks have reported that they are checking QR codes, so it's probably okay for the +1 but not for those without an actual invite. Really wish I had the QR code + babysitter!

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
As beaten to death previously, that change can only be done by the Texas state legislature which won't be in session again until January 2023.
They definitely could announce their support for it. Especially Abbott.

Would not shock me if he did something like that. Support doesn't mean much....

What's that old Texas saying?

'I would tell you the truth four or five different ways before I lied to you.'

@Bobfitz1 must not have read that Banisaurus Rex is on patrol.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time we've been told that the structural battery pack design cuts the pack assembly floor space requirement in half. We knew it would save space, but saving more than 50% is better than I was expecting!

Without any more info, I think it's reasonable to model many of the manufacturing costs falling roughly in proportion to floor area, because half as much space means half as many robots, half as much work-in-progress inventory, half as many people operating and maintaining robots, half as much HVAC usage, half as many ceiling lights, etc.

Other parts of the cost structure, like raw materials, don't get 50% cheaper, and with high commodity prices may be more expensive overall than 2170 non-structural packs even though the new packs use less metal. On the other hand, with tabless cells and no troublesome and time-consuming tab welding and coolant tube installation operations, overall assembly time likely will be reduced by much more than 50%. So maybe conservatively I'd guess overall pack savings from going tabless and structural is 30%.

To get a rough order of magnitude estimate of cost per vehicle savings:
Pack cost just counting casing, thermal stuff, and pack assembly, but not counting cells going into the pack, was probably on the order of 10% of total manufacturing cost for Tesla Model Ys, with the rest of the cost going to body structures, paint, general assembly, and delivery.​
Tesla's average cost per vehicle was about $36k in Q4 2021, so $36 * 10% = $3.6k pack cost​
[ $3.6k pack cost ] * [ 30% savings] = $1.1k per vehicle​
This implies that the tabless cell and structural pack innovation combo will contribute approximately 2% to gross margins for the Austin-made Model Y.​

Last edited:
Yup- and Cruz has been a vocal Elon/Gigatexas supporter for at least a couple years now.

He said today he's thinking about getting a Tesla... because he likes farts:

“I am so happy about it, I may go out and buy a damn Tesla,” Cruz said roughly 10 minutes into the episode. “By the way, my girls want me to get a Tesla anyway.”

“You know why the girls love the Tesla? Because the central computer makes fart noises in each of the seats. For an 11-year-old and 13-year-old, that is the coolest feature,” the senator added. “And I’ve got to admit, as a 51-year-old, that’s a pretty cool feature, although I probably shouldn’t admit that publicly as I say into a TV camera.”

He said today he's thinking about getting a Tesla... because he likes farts:

“I am so happy about it, I may go out and buy a damn Tesla,” Cruz said roughly 10 minutes into the episode. “By the way, my girls want me to get a Tesla anyway.”

“You know why the girls love the Tesla? Because the central computer makes fart noises in each of the seats. For an 11-year-old and 13-year-old, that is the coolest feature,” the senator added. “And I’ve got to admit, as a 51-year-old, that’s a pretty cool feature, although I probably shouldn’t admit that publicly as I say into a TV camera.”
Fart sounds sell cars.

It's the truth.

Fart sounds are not the hero we deserve, but the one that we need.

Produced video showing 4680 production straight into structural packs. Unclear whether it's filmed at Kato Rd or Austin.

LOVE how the structural pack is substantially thinner than current packs (obvious if you have ever worked on / taken apart a Tesla pack, perhaps not if you don't have this experience).

BTW, I'm 99.99% certain that is video from Austin production, given some of the backgrounds show the very VERY tall concrete beams that are unique to that facility. Kato Rd doesn't have nearly as high of ceilings.