Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Thought using gas stove (and water heater and gas furnace) is just producing carbon dioxide, not much else such as numerous toxic stuffs from burning gasoline in cars.

A cursory look around revealed how wrong I was!

NPR: We need to talk about your gas stove, your health and climate change
  • The most common pollutants from gas stoves are nitrogen dioxide (NO2), carbon monoxide and formaldehyde.
  • The gas utility industry is fighting to preserve its business by downplaying existing science on gas stoves and indoor air quality.
  • Kephart has two young children, and research, including this 1992 study, shows that kids who live in a home with a gas stove have about a 20% increased risk of developing respiratory illness.

Smithsonian MAGAZINE: Gas Stoves Are Worse for Climate and Health Than Previously Thought
  • Methane emissions from gas stoves across the United States are roughly equivalent to the carbon dioxide released by half a million gas-powered cars in a year; unknown amount of natural gas pipelines leaking
  • More than three-quarters of the methane emissions happened when both old and new gas stoves were turned off
  • In a small kitchen, it only took a few minutes of unventilated stove use to generate emissions levels above national health standards.
  • According to a meta-analysis from 2013, children living in homes with gas stoves were 42 percent more likely to experience symptoms associated with asthma, and 24 percent more likely to be diagnosed with lifetime asthma.
One of the cited journal articles:
Environ. Sci. Technol.: Methane and NOx Emissions from Natural Gas Stoves, Cooktops, and Ovens in Residential Homes
Yep. This is all true. Wish I knew about it a long time ago. This is why I converted my home to all electric.

Of course there are 69 batteries per string.

So 828 cells per pack. So ~1,200 vehicles per million cells. Which they had a million at the end of January, with a plan for a million per month since, right?

So they have the cells for ~4,000 Model Y Standard Dual Motor vehicles. (Plus how ever many can be made from onsite cells if they have the 4680 lines up and running at GigaTexas.)

If you can somehow recover and reuse these individual strings of 69 4680's from wrecked Tesla's, that's gonna be a huge game changer for the EV conversion world.

Probably creates all sorts of issues, but one can dream. Without clear bundled modules, I guess we have to wait and see what's possible with salvaging.
It's crazy daunting breaking down a pack with thousands of cells but now with a few dozen, it should make that option much more plausible.

If you can somehow recover and reuse these individual strings of 69 4680's from wrecked Tesla's, that's gonna be a huge game changer for the EV conversion world.

Probably creates all sorts of issues, but one can dream. Without clear bundled modules, I guess we have to wait and see what's possible with salvaging.

Meh, they already do this. The most sought-after pack is the original 85 kwh pack. The modules in it are PERFECT for EV conversions. All the guys that do this pop out the Tesla BMS boards on the end of the modules and then re-wire things up.

The best EV conversion company in the world, EV West, is just miles from my house. Those are the guys IIRC that converted Schwarzenegger's G-wagon to EV.

If they use structural adhesive as expected it will be extremely difficult to remove cells.