Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Luckily, we have a rock-star* CEO who's always 2 strides ahead: :D

Tesla May Start Mining Lithium as Musk Cites Battery Metal Cost | Bloomberg

As always, Tesla holds at a massive technological advantage vs. its competitors: it will always require less lithium per unit of range for comparible vehicles. Just look at the Audi SUV and how much more battery it needs for a similar range to Model Y.

Then, there's Cybertruck vs. EV Hummer... is there a "Lithium Guzzler Tax" yet? There's probably enough lithium used per EV-Hummer than will be used in 10 Tesla dedicated Robotaxis, which will see 1,000x the passenger miles per year per unit of lithium. Ban the EV-HUbris!

Cheers!

*rock-star -- lithium extraction using rock salt. Patent pending. ;)

Tesla files new patent on lithium extraction method | mining-technology.com
There is a definite possibility of Tesla eventually getting into mining Lithium but I also think he could just be bluffing at this point to scare the existing miners into reducing prices lest they have to compete with Tesla.

There is a definite possibility of Tesla eventually getting into mining Lithium but I also think he could just be bluffing at this point to scare the existing miners into reducing prices lest they have to compete with Tesla.
I’m not entirely sure why the possibility of Tesla getting into mining is just coming onto people’s radars. Tesla has been talking about this since well before Battery Day. From the June 2019 Shareholders meeting:

“Musk Himself” said:
As we scale battery production to very high levels, we actually have to look further down the supply chain. We might get into the mining business. Maybe. A little bit, at least.

Musk also mentioned mining at Battery Day. Tesla also has patents for sustainable mining of Lithium and they have mining rights or land in Nevada set aside for it. This isn’t exactly a surprise to anyone in the industry either. The above linked article is from an industry journal, not some general business publication.

It’s far more than a possibility Tesla will get into mining, it’s very near certain at this point.

Last edited:
Tesla China sold 65,814 vehicles in March - CPCA • Local sales: 65,754 • Exports: 60
2438 vehicles per day on average, considering the 4 days of shutdown in March. New record for Giga Shanghai.

For reference, December was 2154, so growth has been 13% since then, which is 64% annualized if we model it as exponential growth.

Apparently Tesla gave a big hint on the Giga Texas slides regarding charging speeds on the Model Y.

For me anyhow, 200 - 250 miles is a typical stop so the 4680 Model Ys will likely shave at least 5 minutes off the typical stop.

Not quite game changing, but very good. Also very likely to be an even bigger difference on the v4 350+ kW chargers coming soon.

1649647692171.jpeg

I'd vote for redundancy over concentration no matter which country we're talking about.

(nice Nickname btw)

Weekend OT.

Hello @BioSehnsucht - You received compliments from @ Baumisch for your screen name. I looked up the word sehnsucht and Google Translate converts it to "longing" and "nostalgia". What indeed does the word biosehnsucht convey? Is it nostalgia over a cleaner planetary environment of the past or yearning for an ideal environment in the future? Is the term just your own coining or is there a broader movement in Germany / Europe around this?

I did some Googling as well. My guess is “Yearning for the good life.”

Any other guesses before @BioSehnsucht resolves the mystery?

Sorry to disappoint, but the origin of my name is not nearly so deep and philosophical ... and quite a bit more convoluted.

As a teen in the 90's, there was a time when Rammstein was quite popular in the US, and I used Altavista's Babel Fish service to translate lyrics and such, because curiosity. Also, as a teen, who sometimes struggled with depression, there was a time when the translation of "Sehnsucht" resonated, and I changed my previous online handle from "Silver Hand" (taken from the Song of Albion trilogy) to "Sehnsucht" (having translated the meaning of the album's title). Later, various friends and I added "Bio" to the front of each of our online names, as a sort of quasi-clan designation (though we didn't form any guilds/clans/etc of just ourselves, being there was too few of us for that to be practical, but did play some multiplayer games, together, as a few members of a larger clan/etc). So the "Bio" has nothing directly to do with "Sehnsucht", but is just a coincidence. The added "Bio" also helped avoid name conflicts on IRC (and later Steam, Xbox, etc) as eventually someone else (or possibly a bot) would also be using the same name. :)

While I am no longer that moody teen dealing with depression, I haven't had any need or desire to change my name since then, so I have kept it.

A couple more reasons to consider Japan:

1.) Panasonic is already building battery cells for Tesla in Japan. Yes they are 18650s. But it would be easy for Tesla to build an 18650 pack for Model 3/Y. It would also allow the Fremont Model S/X line to move to 2170 or 4680 cells.

2.) Dedicated RHD manufacturing. Could directly export them to Australia/NZ, India, UK, etc. Even South Africa!
That 18650 production will eventually either be abandoned or retooled to something more modern, once battery production capacity can get far enough ahead of demand. Whether Panasonic ends up turning it into a 4680 plan, or simply retooling it to sell to others (as either 18650 or 4680 or anything else), remains to be seen, but long term it is silly to expect 18650's to remain relevant. And there's not enough supply there to matter to 3/Y production - it is one of the constraints on S/X production, so building a factory there to use it isn't really an improvement, since you won't be able to supply enough production capacity to be worthwhile.

As for RHD, if you want a dedicated RHD plant, I think it would make more sense to do it from the UK. Since the rest of the EU is LHD the whole Brexit thing probably won't even measurably impact it's usefulness then (the costs to export to other RHD countries likely being similar to before Brexit as long as the exchange rates are relatively stable). Japan has a larger domestic market, but it's almost certain you can sell more Teslas in the UK than in Japan, not to mention the country likely being more helpful/friendly than Japan from the perspective of setting up a factory, etc.

2438 vehicles per day on average, considering the 4 days of shutdown in March. New record for Giga Shanghai.

For reference, December was 2154, so growth has been 13% since then, which is 64% annualized if we model it as exponential growth.
The four days of shutdown occurred at the end of Q1. So the 2438 vehicles per day could not have been merely concentration of limited supplies into fewer days. This likely reflects true productivity growth.

If they’d had those 4 days they’d have added about 10k to March production for 75k total.