Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know everybody is watching Elon right now, and I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic.

But Chuck Cook (the unprotected left turn guy) was involved in a fatal accident on FSD. I don't want this to be click-bait so I will say up front that neither Chuck nor FSD were at fault. This is really worth watching as Chuck powerfully attests as to why FSD and dashcam are important, life changing technologies.

Anyone tuning in to Elon's TED talk? I think it's $25 to watch it live, but hopefully they'll post the video shortly afterwards. Head of TED is also teasing a "major surprise," but could be unrelated to Elon/Tesla:

EDIT: TED agenda says "Surprise Speaker" at the end, so that's probably all it is.

EDIT EDIT: Found the livestream link: TED2022 on Livestream
10 years ago I'd have ben excited about Elon doing a TED talk, but IMHO TED has totally gone downhill for some reason since then, with the most mediocre, pointless talks since, like they did something to alienate the most worthwhile, educated potential speakers more recently; I'm curious if anyone knows what happened to TED since then...?

Elon also said solar and energy would be just as big (or bigger) than the automotive portion of Tesla.

Fact check: Non-auto revenues make up <10% of total revenue and aren't profitable.

The US hit the glass ceiling for fossil fuels in the 70s, energy use per capita has been flat since then.

7F4B09A9-11DA-4BC6-8119-7A42C6B433AD.gif

I don’t think most people are ready for the age of solar abundance when we shoot past that old ceiling, and the question becomes what to do with all this extra power in the summer.

The US hit the glass ceiling for fossil fuels in the 70s, energy use per capita has been flat since then.

View attachment 793693

I don’t think most people are ready for the age of solar abundance when we shoot past that old ceiling, and the question becomes what to do with all this extra power in the summer.

I think a lot of this is because we outsourced so much manufacturing overseas.

And I totally agree that we need to get ready for the age of solar abundance.

Humanity has an insatiable appetite for energy. We always need more. That's the fundamental reason I invest in TSLA.

I think a lot of this is because we outsourced so much manufacturing overseas.

And I totally agree that we need to get ready for the age of solar abundance.

Humanity has an insatiable appetite for energy. We always need more. That's the fundamental reason I invest in TSLA.

The net embedded energy in our imports minus exports is about 3500 TWh which is ~12 quads. The US uses about 100 quads of energy so this increases our real consumption by about 12%. Primary energy per capita is still in the same range as the 70s.

View attachment 793693

Measuring in BTUs can also inflate the energy spend figures.

Those BTUs in the 1970s that were tied to surface transportation were inputs into ICEs, where perhaps less than 25% of the input energy actually performed energy services.