Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you haven't read it already, I highly encourage to check out Bloomberg - Are you a robot? (archive.ph if paywalled)
This is an excellent article by Bloomberg (included videos worth watching too) about what a scam ESG ratings are, at least from MSCI, the main ratings firm. Of course no one is unbiased - I almost missed this conflict of interest disclosure:

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 3.06.24 PM.png

This should be shown in grade school:

The reason Buffett always recommended average people diversify is that they generally lacked the spare time to actually research potential investments, the willingness to take short term losses when the market moves up and down, and the ability to think in the long term. For most people, buying an index fund makes sense, you'll outperform picking individual stocks 99 times out of 100.

Tesla investors aren't average people...

Today's trivia: TIL that Peter Lynch is the man who coined the term 'ten bagger'

Last edited:
Love that anti-FUD slogan about competition. Let's think of some others.
  • The competition is coming... to where Tesla was years ago.
  • The competition is coming... and they suck.
  • The competition is coming by the hundreds... of models and sales of each model.
  • The competition is coming... to Super Bowl ads, which doubled Tesla orders.
  • The competition is coming... like heat death of the Universe. Not soon enough to matter.
  • The competition is coming... for twice the price with dealer markup. Let me talk to my manager.
  • The competition is coming... except for new software while you sleep, the highest safety ratings ever, an Autopilot that saves lives, a charging network that actually works.
  • The competition is coming... with the speed of legacy auto innovation. Oh wait...
I don't know, maybe yours is the best.
  • The competition is coming to Tesla's rearview camera.
Unlike in some mirrors, objects are not closer than they appear.

UK - Gridserve are doing "Electric Forecourts" - this is the second (AFAIK) one opened up so far, 100 planned, £1 billion. Further discussion in:- Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread] or Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

Just a heads-up on what can be done, similar to the multi-provider German bakery that impressed me.

Video is by a disabled invited VIP Youtube Mini driver getting a guided tour of Norwich Gridserve. Normal spaces are big enough for wheelchairs plus dedicated disabled (space or spaces?)

Shows how much space is for EV education/leasing and shops

1. This is a smaller site, two-storey with shops, food, education, leasing, example cars upstairs and charging downstairs
  2. AREA charging. This is NOT (principally) along-route charging. This IS largely for towns/EV owners that have limited options to charge at home or work.
  3. Griderve also have a motorway charging network, but this is different.
  4. Chademo/CCS (main) + Tesla CCS (on same site) + A/C on one site
  5. Prices slightly cheaper than Tesla (from memory)
  6. Own solar (elsewhere) - enough to cover average use + grid connections
  7. Battery storage
  8. CEO has been Tesla owner for years, family involved in renewable energy for a long time, his parents named him after a well-known motorway services in England. Toddington Harper
  9. GRIDSERVE | Home and GRIDSERVE | GRIDSERVE opens new Electric Forecourt® in Norwich, transforming EV charging in the area
Video seems messed up when I view page.
Code:
https://youtu.be/ml6fO9Dsmmc

1650833548699.png

Last edited:
Different ratio - same money? As share price goes up, short money doesn't go as far.

My database of NASDAQ reported TSLA short interest (SI) goes back to June 15, 2018. The latest SI as reported on March 31, 2022 shows that TSLA dollar-committed SI is currently higher than the average over the past 4 years:

TSLA.SI.2023-03-31.png

However, even this statistic begs the issue: TLSA shorts primarily bet against the stock via derivatives. It is impossible to know (and not publicly revealed) how much short puts are bet against the company, but we know that TSLA options volume is 20x their equities trading volume, and that TSLA derivatives are now about half of all options traded total (per Morgan Stanley estimates).

TL;dr Shortzes haven't gone anywhere. But they have likely doubled down on their bets againts Tesla, simply because they occasionally (briefly) make some fast money. They deserve what's coming for them, including Gill Bates.

As a country that is still industrializing and manufacturing much of the world’s goods, China is likely to increase emissions for awhile. But that’s as fair as saying Qatar is so much greener than the US because it produces only a small fraction of greenhouse gases.

The relevant and fair question is where China per capita emissions are vs other developed countries. As far as I know, per capita emissions for China are around half those for the US. Figures for 2021 seem hard to come by though.
Exactly. For a fair comparison look at CO2 Emissions per captia.
Qatar (1st at 37.29 tons)
Canada (7th at 18.58 tons)(larger area than US and 1/10 the population than US, and a Petro/Resource export economy so makes sense)
US (16th at 15.52 tons)
China comes in all the way down at 42nd spot at 7.38 tons.

However to be fair to China, much of their goods they produce are for other consuming countries of the World, so their 42nd lowest country ranking for CO2 emissions, if China was only producing goods for themselves instead of other countries en mass, their ranking would become even far much lower.

Last edited:
Exactly. For a fair comparison look at CO2 Emissions per captia.
Qatar (1st at 37.29 tons)
Canada (7th at 18.58 tons)(larger area than US and 1/10 the population than US, and a Petro/Resource export economy so makes sense)
US (16th at 15.52 tons)
China comes in all the way down at 42nd spot at 7.38 tons.

However to be fair to China, much of their goods they produce are for other consuming countries of the World, so their 42nd lowest country ranking for CO2 emissions, if China was only producing goods for themselves instead of other countries en mass, their ranking would become even far much lower. Hence my downvote on @ZachF 's last post.

PS. And Qatar is not exactly consuming all their oil and gas. So we should be looking at the countries that consume the most goods as the true measure "who" + "for whom" results in the most CO2 emissions.
There are at least three ways to slice this:
1) Total emissions per year
2) Emissions per capita
3) Total emissions since the start of the industrial revolution

But I really hate all these comparisons because they assume a blame-game between countries.

All industrialized nations emit far too much and it has to stop. Blaming each other doesn't help.