Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't misquote Elon, it'[s not a good look.

I literally posted his quote

You claim Elon said the "only time Elon would sell...",

Here's the quote again

Elon Musk said:
Only time I sell Tesla stock is when my stock options are expiring & I have no choice.

"sell" not "sold"

and "is" not "was"

So your attempt to pretend he was exclusively talking about the past has you as the one misquoting Elon.

I agree there's not a good look here, but not on my part.

Elon is perfectly free to change his mind. Not like a twitter promise is a legal contract. We don't know if he did or not yet.

But you're not perfectly free to misrepresent what he previously said about it.

Here's the quote again

"sell" not "sold"

So your attempt to pretend he was exclusively talking about the past has you as the one misquoting Elon.

«Sell» and «Would sell» are clearly different statements, IMO.

Here's the quote again

"sell" not "sold"

Elon is perfectly free to change his mind. We don't know if he did.

But you're not perfectly free to misrepresent what he previously said about it.

It was not a promise about the future. Too many people claim Elon's statements are "promises" but they apparently don't know what a promise really is. Saying "I only do this or that" does not imply you will always only do this or that. If I say "I only buy used cars" that does not constrain me to only buying used cars for the rest of my life. It is not a promise to only buy used cars in the future.

It's also not true that you can't misquote someone simply because you also posted their actual quote. You did both.

Last edited:
It was not a promise about the future. Too many people claim Elon's statements are "promises" but they apparently don't know what a promise really is. Saying "I only do this or that" does not imply you will always only do this or that. If I say "I only buy used cars" that does not constrain me to only buying used cars for the rest of my life. It is not a promise to only buy used cars in the future.
Elon made it very clear on numerous occasions that his money is the first in and the last out.

1651070587697.png

It was not a promise about the future.

Nor was it a promise about the past. You can tell because it wasn't written in past tense as you tried to claim.

Heck I'd even be fine with you arguing it wasn't a PROMISE either way- instead It was a blanket, present-tense, statement about the ONLY condition under which he sells TSLA.

You can tell by the actual words he said.

I'm not claiming he can't change his mind later.

I'm just correcting your claim he "never indicated he wouldn't"

He absolutely indicated that the only time he sells is when options are expiring and he needs to pay taxes.- in the direct quote I cited.

If he has now changed his mind, he's perfectly free to do so, but it absolutely represents a change from his previously stated not just past tense position.

Last edited:
Elon made it very clear on numerous occasions that his money is the first in and the last out.

True. And he will die still owning a lot of TSLA shares which is all that is required for that statement to be true.

Why do so many people continually read more into Elon's statements than are actually in the statement?

True. And he will die still owning a lot of TSLA shares which is all that is required for that statement to be true.

Why do so many people continually read more into Elon's statements than are actually in the statement?

Elon’s Tesla shares are probably gonna be worth over a trillion dollars before the decade ends…

Is anybody here really going to do more than gripe if Elon did sell some shares of his own company? I would be slightly disappointed, but not nearly enough to bail on the position that has pretty much guaranteed me a comfortable retirement.
Wouldn't make me sell, but it informs about priorities and I'd keep that in mind in the future. i.e. I'd add a risk that at anytime he might sell X amount to fund his latest enterprise.

edit, not that I think Tesla/SpaceX aren't still his main priority regardless, just not as absolute. And that's ok, it's his money and he has helped me earn a lot myself. It's just new info.

Last edited:
Yes, in effect, you are.

No, in effect, I'm not.

That's what you're claiming when you say selling would break his promise.

In my last post I mentioned I wasn't even claiming it was a future promise at all.

I was pointing out your claim he never said he wouldn't sell when he wished is factually untrue.

He absolutely said that. And I quoted him saying it in the present (not past) tense.

He's perfectly free to change his mind later of course.

Thus I certainly hope he did NOT sell (and makes that clear sometime soon)- because I don't see how you can otherwise spin selling for this deal as anything but a broken promise and I'd rather that not be true.
Broken promise?

See, there's that word you used again. The word you claimed you didn't use.