Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now think that inflation will likely be peaking in the US. North America being a net exporter of food and energy is shielding it from the worst parts of the current disruptions.

Inflation is rising rapidly in the euro area, which imports about half of its energy. The euro is also dropping, now down to only $1.06, and some think it’s heading for parity.

In Japan, importing 85% of its energy has caused to yen to plummet. Japan needs to be careful because of its huge debt levels.

I suspect both of these areas are going to have a much harder time resolving these issues without large hits to growth. Recessions in both of these areas is probably more likely than not at this point.

Can't be trusted with "first in, last out"?

You can't be serious! All he has to do to keep his word on that metric is die with a significant stake in TSLA. He never indicated he wouldn't sell some along the way.

Disclaimer: the below is predicated on the speculation Elon sold to make the twitter deal happen- but also directly contradicts SP3Ds claims above so also relevant there

He claimed the ONLY time he'd sell TSLA was when his options were expiring and he had no choice for tax bill reasons.

Thus I certainly hope he did NOT sell (and makes that clear sometime soon)- because I don't see how you can otherwise spin selling for this deal as anything but a broken promise and I'd rather that not be true.

Last edited:
Either back up that 100% incontrovertible, hard statement with some proof, or take a 420 week vacation. The amount of conspiratorial posts sloshing around this thread over the past days is alarming in that it shows how uninformed, lazy, unsophisticated or some combination of all three are too many members of this forum. A spectacularly high number of experienced investors have tirelessly spent up to a dozen years here assisting others - how it is that so much of that work is for naught does not provide much hope for the "individual investor" as a market force to be dealt with by any action other than....fleecing.
Thank you! This must be placed here:
Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit
Perhaps you are acquainted with the Moderator who can make it so.

One thing I was thinking of is this whole Twitter deal. If Elon borrows the money with Tesla stock as collateral than this will be risky.
Say we are to go in recession and Tesla misses earnings in one of the next few quarters. We know TSLA is super volatile. What if suddenly Elon gets margin calls!! It is a risk. What kind of ugly situation might we all get in to? Even if the outlook for the long term might be great, TSLA could be decimated in that situation.

I don’t like the Twitter deal…
I'd think Elon has enough alternate resources so he'll be OK if there is a margin call.

I've used too much margin before and it's not a good feeling.

The other thing that might sneak up and bankrupt someone (like myself) might be not putting aside to pay upcoming taxes; if a portfolio was to drop so badly so it's value is less than taxes due by next April 15, that could have the same effect as being deep into margin.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax
Looks like Poland and Bulgaria. Russia wants payment in rubles.

I'm pretty sure the selloff started several hours before the story broke.
Just to clarify they still want payment in US dollars or Euros. However the price they want is denominated in Rubles at ~75 per US$ as set unilaterally by Gazprombank. That, bluntly, is something akin to tripling the price or so. Of course with no market for Rubles apart from this they can set it where they choose to. Now if Chinese exports to Russia could be paid for in Rubles at the same rate it would be a beautiful world for Russia. That is most unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I was thinking of is this whole Twitter deal. If Elon borrows the money with Tesla stock as collateral than this will be risky.
Say we are to go in recession and Tesla misses earnings in one of the next few quarters. We know TSLA is super volatile. What if suddenly Elon gets margin calls!! It is a risk. What kind of ugly situation might we all get in to? Even if the outlook for the long term might be great, TSLA could be decimated in that situation.

I don’t like the Twitter deal…
Last year Tesla was ..volatile. This year could be the same and for that reason I hate the idea of Tesla funding the purchase of Twatter. Lots of events happening beyond anyones control. Besides which I don't see the economic rationale...I just don't get why you'd sell Tesla stock to buy a poorly performing media platform.

Last year Tesla was ..volatile. This year could be the same and for that reason I hate the idea of Tesla funding the purchase of Twatter. Lots of events happening beyond anyones control. Besides which I don't see the economic rationale...I just don't get why you'd sell Tesla stock to buy a poorly performing media platform.

Maybe the Twitter purchase has nothing to do with making a profit.

Maybe it is more noble than that. Perhaps it is more about making a statement against manipulation that restricts a free market, and creating a platform for unbiased dissemination of information, and will pull the curtain away to reveal the wizard(s) behind it who are profiting while slowing humanity's growth and development.

Maybe there is a bigger picture to be considered which will impact all of the Musk companies in a positive way.

Maybe the Twitter purchase has nothing to do with making a profit.

Maybe it is more noble than that. Perhaps it is more about making a statement against manipulation that restricts a free market, and creating a platform for unbiased dissemination of information, and will pull the curtain away to reveal the wizard(s) behind it who are profiting while slowing humanity's growth and development.

Maybe there is a bigger picture to be considered which will impact all of the Musk companies in a positive way.
Wow we think different. I this will spread lots of misinformation including much more about Tesla and Climate Change. Will hurt what Elon says is Tesla's mission. I see the petroleum interests really excited about this.

When TSLA stops being volatile, that would be the time to sell.

Not true in details.
His initial margin is 35%, i.e. he gets $35 cash for $100 TSLA stock
Currently, he could borrow only against 25% of the shares as per Tesla bylows. That could be changed.
But he has a clause re borrowed 12.5B that he faces margin call if TSLA SP drops 40% from founding date SP, which puts his collateral real maintenance margin req. at 0.35/0.6=58.3%
Combo of these factors means that he'd get margin called at around $600, if nothing is changed.

• Informative
Reactions: Dig deeper
Wow we think different. I this will spread lots of misinformation including much more about Tesla and Climate Change. Will hurt what Elon says is Tesla's mission. I see the petroleum interests really excited about this.

Certainly misinformation is the problem - the question is whether the solution lies in silencing it OR ensuring it is not inadvertently amplified via the profit-driven algorithms we create. Elon (and supporters’) hypothesis would be the focus should be on the latter, and if successful there, misinformation would be naturally extinguished…or at least less pervasive. We shall see.

Bringing this back to Tesla and Musk companies, I don’t believe the age of abundance brought by a renewable energy economy and robot-augmented labor will be achieved without media that is completely free. The left-right politics of now is a blip compared to the future we are hoping for, one that humanity will absolutely prevent for itself if allowed to do so.

I'm hardly an optimist in that area, but I see no current barriers to that type of misinformation. Twitter certainly doesn't care. Just killing the bots that are used by bad actors could help.