Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, the reason TSLA is probably dropping so hard is dips__t crypto-bros getting margin called.
Maybe so 🤔 FWIW, bitcoin looks to have bottomed out. It’s recovered from a low of 26,000 yesterday to 28,000 now. May suggest a change in risk sentiment which could be better for TSLA

Yes I’m grasping at straws. So what!

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
How long does it take before we realise we are in a sell-off the likes of which we haven't seen since the COVID-19 panic sell-off in early 2020? TSLA fell from $969 to $350. (pre-split numbers) $350 is 36% of $969. Took about 3 months to recoup that fall to get back to its ATH and then kept on climbing.

Today TSLA is at $699 which is 56% of the current ATH. Perhaps there is some more fall to go.

I've seen tons of these falls since I first bought TSLA in 2013. The first one was in autumn of that year after 3 bizarre fire accidents which were nothing to do with the design of the car. Bears used them to start the whole "Tesla cars catch fire" legend. Stock went from $194 to $116 I think it was. $116 is 59% of $194. TSLA turned right back around and climbed to $256 before Elon answered Phil LeBeau's question outside the steps of the Carson City Nevada legislature building and said "TSLA is too high" 🤣

Point is... Tesla the company is in way, WAY better shape than any of the previous times it fell. It's a money-making machine with a fortress balance sheet. It's already earning more money than Toyota since the latter is in a slip-up, but that may continue. It won't be long before TSLA starts climbing again. There is still a ton of money floating around that can be used to buy stocks, and the stock market will tire of all the negativity and go into a rally at some point. I believe that TSLA will be much higher later this year - definitely above $1000.

How long does it take before we realise we are in a sell-off the likes of which we haven't seen since the COVID-19 panic sell-off in early 2020? TSLA fell from $969 to $350. (pre-split numbers) $350 is 36% of $969. Took about 3 months to recoup that fall to get back to its ATH and then kept on climbing.

Today TSLA is at $699 which is 56% of the current ATH. Perhaps there is some more fall to go.

I've seen tons of these falls since I first bought TSLA in 2013. The first one was in autumn of that year after 3 bizarre fire accidents which were nothing to do with the design of the car. Bears used them to start the whole "Tesla cars catch fire" legend. Stock went from $194 to $116 I think it was. $116 is 59% of $194. TSLA turned right back around and climbed to $256 before Elon answered Phil LeBeau's question outside the steps of the Carson City Nevada legislature building and said "TSLA is too high" 🤣

Point is... Tesla the company is in way, WAY better shape than any of the previous times it fell. It's a money-making machine with a fortress balance sheet. It's already earning more money than Toyota since the latter is in a slip-up, but that may continue. It won't be long before TSLA starts climbing again. There is still a ton of money floating around that can be used to buy stocks, and the stock market will tire of all the negativity and go into a rally at some point. I believe that TSLA will be much higher later this year - definitely above $1000.
For the whole market... we are about ~2% from being there. Tesla has survived better this go round because they are a better company than they were in 2020. I expect a bit more pain, but unless the bottom completely falls out of the market...we aren't far from the bottom.

For those making bottom calls, why now? What is different? Why not end of summer?
Inflation data is getting better (still bad), treasuries retreating, the market is betting against Fed signaling, and basic analysis of the market shows this to be a sell down we haven't seen very many times. I wouldn't say today is the exact bottom overall, but near term bottom is close.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I'm selling my jan 2024 LEAPS and buying jun 2024's for that very reason. Longest time till expiration (to bridge over recession times) is worth a lot IMHO...

But I'm still a new guy to options...

Are you having to raise the strike price to do those rolls cost-free, or are you maintaining or reducing strike price and putting more cash in (or reducing # of contracts)?

Honestly, the reason TSLA is probably dropping so hard is dips__t crypto-bros getting margin called.
Sorry, it's been a while since this was discussed, but can someone remind me at what value of Bitcoin does Tesla have to report decrease in assets (due to BTC value being less than acquisition cost?) I seem to recall it was around $25k. Also, I believe they have to record it whenever BTC touches that low anytime in the quarter?

Are you having to raise the strike price to do those rolls cost-free, or are you maintaining or reducing strike price and putting more cash in (or reducing # of contracts)?
Same strike, paying a little more.

Speaking as one of the less qualified TMC members to be suggesting possible courses of action, I think it has been and likely still is possible to sell jan 2022 LEAPS and be able to buy jun 2022 LEAPS of the same strike price for about the same price as long as the market is lowering like it's been, essentially rolling them for free. That extra 5 months might make the difference to take advantage of a favorable 4th quarter report.

Last edited: