Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still not convinced that this is shipping in Tesla cars (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I'm hard to please, I'm an engineer and I need Elon to say he's shipping prismatic or actually see the pack come out of a working Model 3)
While there's only been few LFP cars shipped in the USA, just about all SR+ 3 and Y cars shipped from Shanghai from late 2020 have been LFP. None of these LFP cars use cylindrical cells, up till now they have been CATL Prismatic. I'm not sure how you could have missed this as we've discussed it here extensively and there has been a lot of online coverage of LFP cars delivered to Australia and Europe etc. Elon has also talked about LFP cars a lot on conference calls including the ability of LFP to use a variety of formats, including the current prismatic.

Speaking of Max Pain, next week looks like some copy cat scheme. Is this normal?

1654699376458.png

OMG, that thing is big! (this is why the stock is up!) /kinda s

The bullish part to me is the basic fact that there are (plenty of) people interested in looking up this machine on the internet. I can't recall ever googling the production facility for the latest BMW vehicles for example.

Even Tesla suppliers are rockstars nowadays. Says a lot about the brand.

While there's only been few LFP cars shipped in the USA, just about all SR+ 3 and Y cars shipped from Shanghai from late 2020 have been LFP. None of these LFP cars use cylindrical cells, up till now they have been CATL Prismatic. I'm not sure how you could have missed this as we've discussed it here extensively and there has been a lot of online coverage of LFP cars delivered to Australia and Europe etc. Elon has also talked about LFP cars a lot on conference calls including the ability of LFP to use a variety of formats, including the current prismatic.
Just to be clear, I haven't missed it, I just don't believe Tesla is shipping prismatic cells. Sorry folks, my engineer brain needs more deterministic evidence.

I'm happy to review when available and happy to celebrate my utter-wrongness when the time comes.

So new Tesla radar tests are making the rounds. Most everyone thinks this means there will be radar units retrofitted on every FSD capable Tesla.

Plot twist: This isn't for cars it's for the new robot "Optimus Subprime".

alternate twist: It's for the Semi not the smaller Tesla cars.

either way I find it hard to believe they are backtracking on radar after they just opened up the FSD beta so wide without it.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I haven't missed it, I just don't believe Tesla is shipping prismatic cells. Sorry folks, my engineer brain needs more deterministic evidence.

I'm happy to review when available and happy to celebrate my utter-wrongness when the time comes.
???

2Q==(2).jpg

Then where did the pack in the Munro video come from?
Are you saying the LFP packs are cylindrical?

So new Tesla radar tests are making the rounds. Everyone thinks this means there will be radar units retrofitted on every FSD capable Tesla.

Plot twist: This isn't for cars it's for the new robot "Optimus Subprime".

alternate twist: It's for the Semi not the smaller Tesla cars.

either way I find it hard to believe they are backtracking on radar after they just opened up the FSD beta so wide without it.
Yeah, I think that it's just that previous radar-related information from 2018 is now public so it's surfacing.

Speaking of big pins sliding into place...

At the start of this contract, I wonder if Elon called IDRA and asked "Hey IDRA, wanna Cyber?"

Looks like the tool is held in position by bungee cords and duct tape (like the size of your leg though). Can't wait to see it run!
OK, I'm done. Tools excite me. (Or maybe it was all the red that triggered something in my head. Red be gone today!)

1654700668034.png

Yeah, I think that it's just that previous radar-related information from 2018 is now public so it's surfacing.

Yes, and its possible that Tesla may need to have a ready supply of replacement units available for older AP1 vehicles for AEB via radar. Those are the cars that won't have Tesla Vision based Autopilot (and all its safety features), due to CPU limitations with the original Mobileye chip.

Cheers!

They are shipping in the short range Model 3 for sure. Even references to it in the manual.

View attachment 814134
I didn't see anything in there about prismatic nor blade format...

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I'm not saying anything other than I need deterministic evidence. This is just how I am, hope I'm not offending anyone.
What means deterministic?
Tesla called out in Q1 letter that nearly half of vehicles produced are LFP.
Either they have prismatic packs (like shown in video) or somewhere a plant is churning out 2170 LFP cells.
Those are the two choices.