Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, great opportunity for all the brilliant, top-tier new hires to step up and bring FSD over the finish line (which it must be said, Andrei hasn't done despite plenty of Elon promises over the years).

With the rare exception perhaps of Elon himself, remember in business, NOBODY is indispensible.
You’re right and I wanted to like your post, but I can’t because I’m a little bit sad Karpathy is leaving. He’s a good person.

Believe it or not (this is really hard to believe, if you met me you’d agree), but I was once REALLY good at my job in a previous career. When I was getting ready to leave, many coworkers told me they thought things wouldn’t work without me. Flattering, but I told them someone would step up. And they did and everything was fine. As will be with tesla AI.

If I read this correctly, looks like Andrej is leaving. Thanks to him for his leadership on Autopilot.

Hmm that opens the door for me to take over. Jump to Tesla AI team or posts memes and stare at stock ticker everyday?

6mp5ns.jpg

Can’t decide if this is a sign it’s done, he thinks it’ll never work, or he’s just being really human and saying “meh, I’m ready for the next thing”
If he thinks it'll never work, then he will be in charge of what is the next path to make it work with unlimited resources. Elon does not say no to karpathy.

I am in the camp who thinks the path is now set and he feels like he has run his usefulness, plus has too much money and want to work on pet projects. Most people of his caliber doesn't stay until everything is done done. Jim Keller left AMD long before Zen was commercialized and left Tesla long before we had the FsD computer. They were there to lead and set team on the right path.

HiYou’re right and I wanted to like your post, but I can’t because I’m a little bit sad Karpathy is leaving. He’s a good person.

Believe it or not (this is really hard to believe, if you met me you’d agree), but I was once REALLY good at my job in a previous career. When I was getting ready to leave, many coworkers told me they thought things wouldn’t work without me. Flattering, but I told them someone would step up. And they did and everything was fine. As will be with tesla AI.
Thanks for this.

I have a slightly different story. Many years ago, I left a major consulting firm after leading a small dev team for 5 years. I'm not one who seeks to keep climbing higher, but I do believe that innovation requires change. I felt, and so did my team and peers (anonymous peer review contributed to 6 years of "exceeding expectations"), that I'd led our terrific team to great results. But after 5 years, I suggested that management switch us managers around between teams (in particular, I felt the "Lotus Notes" team could use my innovation approach to become a true messaging team ;). I thought my team had accomplished as much as my skills could help them with, and new blood would help them grow in areas I wasn't as strong in (e.g. documentation, process optimization). Management wouldn't change. So I moved to a completely different department (but only after my boss insisted I help hire my replacement!)

I'm SURE there are super bright minds and leaders in Andrei's team. We all wish them every success, as did Andrei himself on the Twitter sign-off.

Last edited:
My $0.02 on Karpathy leaving. If you read his tweets, he is an expert in state of the art deep learning. My belief is that Tesla has wrung pretty much all it can via those techniques and it is time to start work on something new. As Elon stated not too long ago, Tesla keeps hitting local maximums in their FSD efforts. This is an opportunity to get some fresh thinking and ideas into the top level architecture. Obviously, the hundreds of engineers aren't going to suddenly stop working just because the architecture head is leaving. They all have at least a year's worth of planned projects ahead of them.

Last edited:
Great tweet from this thread:
"The thing that makes me keep laughing my ass off at all ya all is the Tesla community give people *sugar* for Tesla FUD and what is happening right now? The Tesla community stirring up FUD about Andrej. I guess I need to be the one to break it to you..he left 5 months ago! Move on"

HE LEFT 5 MONTHS AGO!

My $0.02 on Karpathy leaving. If you read his tweets, he is an expert in state of the art deep learning. My belief is that Tesla has wrung pretty much all it can via those techniques and it is time to do something new.
Hesitant to argue with YOU in particular, and I don’t exactly disagree with what you wrote*, but saying DL has peaked has become a meme in AI Internet forums. DL has very, very clear paths to new capabilities and some of them simply rely on engineering. Add more parameters! More compute!

*I’m no expert, but some of my friends are. GOFAI seems to be making a resurgence, with search coming back with a vengeance. I think ashok (or someone else) talked about implementing MuZero for planning car paths. So, yeah, I don’t think DL alone is the obvious key to unlocking autonomous driving, at this point.

Edit: typos

I wish Karpathy didn’t leave, but we’ve heard this exact same sentiment expressed so many times now. Guillen, JB, Ahuja…not to mention all the board members whose names I can’t even remember.

Wall Street will use it as an opportunity to attack. In the long run, it won’t matter.
If he has been on a true sabbatical, he has already been removed from the development picture for a few months. It hasn’t mattered in the short run either IMO.

Karpathy leaving is bad. Makes me think he must see no likely path to full autonomy. Of course we don't know that, but we do know that Elon doesn't want to hear anything like "can't get there from here".

There is an alternative take. Karpathy might be leaving because FSD is very close to being solved and his talents aren't needed all that much anymore, it's now just a matter of crunching the trailing nine's edge cases and making the AI smart enough to handle all situations.

You see bearish, but it might actually be very bullish.

Yeah, great opportunity for all the brilliant, top-tier new hires to step up and bring FSD over the finish line (which it must be said, Andrei hasn't done despite plenty of Elon promises over the years).

With the rare exception perhaps of Elon himself, remember in business, NOBODY is indispensible.
Actually, I think the "in business, NOBODY is indispensable" saying isn't 100% accurate. ANYONE can be REPLACED, but in my experience, when top tier talent leave, their replacement is rarely at the same level. Over time, as enough of these people are "replaced", you just see the long, slow decline in the ability to get complex stuff done in a reasonable amount of time with solutions that are as creative/appropriate as they could have been. Everyone just adapts to the new lower standard of output.
I actually think this pattern is one that causes the slow death of large companies over time (and the replacement with smaller, more nimble and, frankly, talented ones). Ironically, they all SAY "people are our most valuable asset" without actually realizing IT'S TRUE! A friend of mine once told me he felt companies viewed employees as "liabilities"...and I have come to believe he is correct <insert Optimus reference here>

Oh and those smaller, more nimble and talented companies I mentioned....guess what happens when they get big...circle of life.

My $0.02 on Karpathy leaving. If you read his tweets, he is an expert in state of the art deep learning. My belief is that Tesla has wrung pretty much all it can via those techniques and it is time to start work on something new. As Elon has stated not too long ago, Tesla keeps hitting local maximums in their FSD efforts. This is an opportunity to get some fresh thinking and ideas into the top level architecture. Obviously, the hundreds of engineers aren't going to suddenly stop working just because the architecture head is leaving. They all have at least a year's worth of planned projects ahead of them.

My take is him leaving was always in the back of his mind when he took the sabbatical, it was a trial run in some ways to see how the team would function without him.

I think he is leaving now because when he came back it was obvious the team could now function without him, all key knowledge had been transferred, and AI techniques are no longer the bottleneck.

So work at Tesla is no longer challenging and interesting, it is intense, the Bot isn't sufficiently different to interest him, or he has found another challenge, or been offered another opportunity that he wants to pursue.

I don't doubt that there might be another local maximum, but any issues they have hit might no longer need his input.

We will learn more in the next AI day update.

What I am saying is I don't think he would leave if there was a major problem that he could help fix.

Last edited:
Actually, I think the "in business, NOBODY is indispensable" saying isn't 100% accurate. ANYONE can be REPLACED, but in my experience, when top tier talent leave, their replacement is rarely at the same level. Over time, as enough of these people are "replaced", you just see the long, slow decline in the ability to get complex stuff done in a reasonable amount of time with solutions that are as creative/appropriate as they could have been. Everyone just adapts to the new lower standard of output.
I actually think this pattern is one that causes the slow death of large companies over time (and the replacement with smaller, more nimble and, frankly, talented ones). Ironically, they all SAY "people are our most valuable asset" without actually realizing IT'S TRUE! A friend of mine once told me he felt companies viewed employees as "liabilities"...and I have come to believe he is correct <insert Optimus reference here>

Oh and those smaller, more nimble and talented companies I mentioned....guess what happens when they get big...circle of life.
Respectfully, in my experience, when someone leaves, there's change. No, the new / promoted people aren't the same, and have different skills. But it's not necessary that they be worse all things considered. In an ideal scenario, they bring new vigour and complimentary skills to what the incumbent left.

In many cases, they are an improvement. Case in point, Elon joining Tesla in 2003. Any question that Elon was a better CEO for Tesla once Martin Eberhard left in 2007?