Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can’t decide if this is a sign it’s done, he thinks it’ll never work, or he’s just being really human and saying “meh, I’m ready for the next thing”
I think those of us, myself included, that are hopeful about FSD need to watch our own positive biases. Namely, while it could be any of these meanings, the first one ("a sign it's done") doesn't line up with the current state of development, even given a generous extrapolation. Note also that in AK's statement he expresses a number of positives, but nothing along the lines of "I'm confident the team is rapidly converging towards . . . " We often as a community cut Elon and others some slack in their predictions by saying "They have access to data that we don't have, etc.,". Well, Karpathy has access to all the data that we don't have.

The most neutral take I can give is that it reinforces the notion that it's a long way from done.

Just trying to keep it real. YMMV.

I
Exceptional talented guy, I can imagine he needs a new challenge. FSD seems to be on the path to solving already, according to Elon by end of this year.
I have FSD (Beta) and while it can do some pretty amazing things .... I'd be really surprised if it was "solved" by the end of the year.

Remember, time frames are not Elon's strongest quality. I'm sad to hear when top level talent leaves a company .... and you HAVE to ask yourself this: IF it was really about to be solved by the end of the year ... why wouldn't Karpathy hang on a few more months to "spike the ball" ....???

My take is him leaving was always in the back of his mind when he took the sabbatical, it was a trial run in some ways to see how the team would function without him.

I think he is leaving now because when he came back it was obvious the team could now function without him, all key knowledge had been transferred, and AI techniques are no longer the bottleneck.

So work at Tesla is no longer challenging and interesting, it is intense, the Bot isn't sufficiently different to interest him, or he has found another challenge, or been offered another opportunity that he wants to pursue.

I don't doubt that there might be another local maximum, but any issues they have hit might no longer need his input.

We will learn more in the next AI day update.

What I am saying is I don't think he would leave if there was a major problem that he could help fix.

Looking at his LinkedIn profile . . . Tesla is the longest job he's ever had. Like a lot of top talent, he appears to move from job to job a bit.

My take is him leaving was always in the back of his mind when he took the sabbatical, it was a trial run in some ways to see how the team would function without him.

I think he is leaving now because when he came back it was obvious the team could now function without him, all key knowledge had been transferred, and AI techniques are no longer the bottleneck.

So work at Tesla is no longer challenging and interesting, it is intense, the Bot isn't sufficiently different to interest him, or he has found another challenge, or been offered another opportunity that he wants to pursue.

I don't doubt that there might be another local maximum, but any issues they have hit might no longer need his input.

We will learn more in the next AI day update.

What I am saying is I don't think he would leave if there was a major problem that he could help fix.
Maybe he just wanted to work from home?

The most neutral take I can give is that it reinforces the notion that it's a long way from done.

I agree with this. If it was close to being done, you'd think he would want to stick around and see it over the finish line. He's probably burned out from working 60+ hour weeks and doesn't want to do that for another year or two.

Hyundai (Canada) announces EValuate program with Turo:

If you buy an Ionic 5 after renting on Turo, you get a $500 discount.

Hyundai: "We believe EVs are the future of automotive and wider adoption is a crucial part of helping to address greenhouse gas emissions, but there is a real need-state to address consumer queries and hesitations about electric vehicles. At Hyundai, we are proud to be the second largest retailer of EVs and to offer the widest range of electrified vehicles in Canada. Through this partnership with Turo, we look forward to giving Canadians the opportunity to learn more about how our EVs can seamlessly fit into their lifestyles, for a more sustainable tomorrow."

Tesla remains the dominant player in the market. Not the EV market, but the luxury market in total. In Q2, Tesla was the top-selling luxury brand in the U.S., outpacing all the established names: Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, etc. As new EV models continue to enter the market, Tesla’s share of the EV segment is dropping. Last quarter, it fell to 66%, down 9% from Q1. Still, Tesla’s EV share is expected to shrink as the EV market expand. The bigger story is Tesla’s continued growth. Last quarter, the free-wheeling brand from Austin nearly outsold Subaru in the U.S.”

In Q2, EV sales accounted for 5.6% of the total market, an increase from 5.3% in Q1 and a record high. EV share in Q2 2021 was 2.7%”

1657771602870.png

Panasonic may have had some resistance to the proposed De Soto, KS location; "What's the matter with Kansas?", one may have asked.

Jokes aside, glad to see KS getting a nice tech infusion. I too am wondering why Panasonic chose that location. The central U.S. location doesn't hurt. Better still as some have theorized if it's near a future U.S. Gigafactory.

Sad to see Karpathy go and glad he didn't immediately announce that he's going to GM or something that would give me the angina. Hopefully he's getting some well-earned R&R.

Panasonic may have had some resistance to the proposed De Soto, KS location; "What's the matter with Kansas?", one may have asked.

Jokes aside, glad to see KS getting a nice tech infusion. I too am wondering why Panasonic chose that location. The central U.S. location doesn't hurt. Better still as some have theorized if it's near a future U.S. Gigafactory.

Sad to see Karpathy go and glad he didn't immediately announce that he's going to GM or something that would give me the angina. Hopefully he's getting some well-earned R&R.

A problem Panasonic encountered with the Reno/Sparks Gigafactory was that they had to compete with Tesla for attracting employees, and most Northern Nevada workers would rather work for Tesla and get to lucrative stock options rather than work for Panasonic. Consequently, Panasonic had to send Japanese employees to Northern Nevada for temporary duties, which they weren't thrilled about. To make matters worse, when Tesla came to the Reno area, they created "The Tesla Effect" which brought Amazon and other big companies to Reno shortly thereafter and caused a real labor crunch. Locating the Panasonic factory some distance from the Tesla factory is a cure for this problem.

The factory is too serve multiple clients, not just Tesla. So distance to any one customer is not really a factor.