Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was 18, not a child. The Mom added the limiter after he got a ticket for 112 in a 50. He should have lost his license and the car for that.
I also think some posters are not getting the full picture of what happened. Car companies cannot replace parents and really what this douche kid did was con his parents and Tesla.

Tesla has said that Barrett Riley went in person to the Tesla facility where the Model S was being serviced and “tricked” its staff into removing the speed limiter.

I also think some posters are not getting the full picture of what happened. Car companies cannot replace parents and really what this douche kid did was con his parents and Tesla.
Yes, but Tesla still failed with the software limitation the OWNER had put in place. I don't see how you can claim that Tesla bears ZERO fault. If anything, the verdict is very much in Tesla's favor.

I want to make a drive to Denali National Park from Seattle some day. Is it possible and has anyone done it yet?

If you have to ask if it's possible, you might not be the right person for the job. Of course, you could always take the ferries from Bellingham, WA to Whittier, AK. Then you are almost there!

Yes, but Tesla still failed with the software limitation the OWNER had put in place. I don't see how you can claim that Tesla bears ZERO fault. If anything, the verdict is very much in Tesla's favor.
Ah hey buddy, you are like the parents putting the crux of the case on the speed limiter instead of the parents own negligence. You are not going to stop a tool like this kid, cuz he conned the techs into removing it. And thus what is the point, the speed limiter which is not a legal limiter. There's no laws governing this because its a parental issue. The parents are on record acknowledging that their teen was out of control.

Not a lawyer, but in liability law negligence usually comes down for consequences that a reasonable person would forsee. If you remove a speed limiter you do not assume a crash will occur. Especially true if Reilly pretended to be his father (not clear how he tricked Tesla but I assume he pretended to be the owner, same last name etc.) so he was not acting in good faith.

Now, his parents probably could foresee this as they were aware that he had a ticket for going 112 in a 50. I know we all feel bad for him and his parents, but he could have killed a bystander, and in fact did kill his friend and almost killed another.

Say did not like me here so didn’t work for me. I’ll play with it later.

I’m curious what the advantage of doing this is here. Shareholder perks (discounts, special items in the store, preferred shipping on Cybertruck) would be rad. Probably not, but one can hope. Likely it’s just for simplifying things like the proxy vote and getting into shareholder events.

Reactions: kclifton

I’m curious what the advantage of doing this is here. Shareholder perks (discounts, special items in the store, preferred shipping on Cybertruck) would be rad. Probably not, but one can hope. Likely it’s just for simplifying things like the proxy vote and getting into shareholder events.
Mine failed at first but then I chose to try again, and it accepted everything.

Now, his parents probably could foresee this as they were aware that he had a ticket for going 112 in a 50. I know we all feel bad for him and his parents, but he could have killed a bystander, and in fact did kill his friend and almost killed another.
They totally knew, the mom even begged her son's friends to stop him from reckless driving/speeding. There are too many examples of 'rents letting their offspring go out of control in fast cars.

Ah hey buddy, you are like the parents putting the crux of the case on the speed limiter instead of the parents own negligence. You are not going to stop a tool like this kid, cuz he conned the techs into removing it. And thus what is the point, the speed limiter which is not a legal limiter. There's no laws governing this because its a parental issue. The parents are on record acknowledging that their teen was out of control.
Yo buddy, Tesla allowed a non owner to access a car's software. The fact that the kid was a con artist changes nothing. Say what you will, they screwed up, and if not for that screw up things could have been very different as far as how this young man ultimately killed himself, if at all. The verdict is fair to Tesla. It is a ONE PERCENT liability. Hardly the crux that you claim.

Take note corporate Tesla: have safeguards in place for proper access to vehicles.

Not a lawyer, but in liability law negligence usually comes down for consequences that a reasonable person would forsee. If you remove a speed limiter you do not assume a crash will occur. Especially true if Reilly pretended to be his father (not clear how he tricked Tesla but I assume he pretended to be the owner, same last name etc.) so he was not acting in good faith.

Crazy it is all on the parents. My wife still afraid to let our 27, 24 and 20 year old sons use any of our Tesla's including the 2015.

another lawsuit, this time in Berlin by German "consumer group" vzbv

alleges Tesla:

- untruthful about CO2 impact as it sells carbon credits to other manufacturers allowing them to pollute
- does not tell buyers they must comply with European data regulations when using Sentry mode

CO2 claim is odd, as in reality all it does is pay Tesla rather than face government fines, credits do not increase/decrease CO2 just adjust the direction and amount of fines.

data regs should be easily dealt with in the small print I would guess.

🤷‍♂️
I am very sensitive on gdpr-compliance.

And Tesla does the best job compared to anyone else.
When you enable sentry mode you have to confirm exactly that. In the car. In normal text and not fine print. In short bullet points - 1 page in total. Not 10 pages of legalese noone reads..

I mean Facebook & Instagram report if my phone comes near a person that has that software installed.. (every Bluetooth device and WLAN device one encounter with the phone of a fb or insta-user gets reported back)..
But Tesla has the decency to store videos IN THE CAR and only uploads encrypted chunks when the alarm goes off to European servers... HOW DARE THEY!!1!...

🤦‍♀️

I did it immediately (very easy and it let me select all accounts) so that I can be in the line for Starlink IPO to Tesla retail shareholders in the future!

There's zero fear on Wall St when it comes to TSLA and it's not hard to see why.

The implied move after earnings is 9%.........so all Wall St does it affectively cap TSLA the day before to make it underperform it's beta by a huge amount on a big macro up day.

Let me guess....Tesla beats earnings in a big way......stock goes up 10% on Thursday morning but macros, having just had a big up days earlier in the week...pull back and TSLA slowly gets walked down all day to end up just where we started at the beginning of the week.

Now where have I seen this before?
This is not your first rodeo. All that's true......until it isn't!

It's the quarters where no one's talking about buying yolo calls that we get the 100% pop before the next earnings call.

Everything is set up real nicely for TSLA to break out here. Clearly billions on the horizon, but still a somewhat bearish fog over the SP.