Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The non-GAAP eps came in at $2.27. Troy was the closest.
However, all of the forecasters missed over and under on multiple line items (which is not unusual).
Many had Bitcoin impairment between $450m to $500m but the actual charge only came in at $142m I believe.
936+218 = 1,154 book value
1,261 previous quarter = 107 loss

In disscussion of FSD Beta safety from late May (link) I had estimated that total miles driven was 100M-1B, but Tesla just said it’s actually at 35M miles as of June. Pretty close for a wild guess. Still, with zero (verified) crashes thus far compared to 1 crash every 200k miles for average driving in the USA, the human-supervised FSD Beta program has proven at least 175x safer than normal driving.

Average revenue per car minus ZEV credits rose by $3.8k from $52.2k in Q1 to $56.0k in Q2, a bit more than my projection of $3k for just the price hike component. So, the price increase wave clearly started to hit along with continued mix shift away from Model 3, although I still think some of this came Shanghai contributing less to deliveries.

I missed big on average cost per car, which rose $3.5k QoQ from $36.5k to $40.0k whereas I predicted $37.5k. This was the by far biggest QoQ unit cost jump in recent years. It’s unclear what contributed most to this. Inflation, new factories at low rate, Shanghai shutdowns, maybe foreign exchange rate shifts.

Profit per car rose even though gross margin percentage declined. Up $300 QoQ to $16.0k (still excluding credits and also not breaking out sold vs leased).

Production capacity for Shanghai finally updated from >450k to >750k, plus Fremont now rated for 650k and Berlin/Austin finally go from “TBD” to “>250k”

Last edited:
Imagine the earnings report if Tesla sold Bitcoin off before the drop, avoiding or lessening a $450M impairment

It may be unlikely but it sure would be nifty and I imagine tomorrow would be off the charts.

There’s usually a surprise of some kind in the ER. This is the one I’m rooting for.

Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit". Thank-you.

harry-you-are-the-man.jpg

Well sussed! :D

Cheers!

In disscussion of FSD Beta safety from late May (link) I had estimated that total miles driven was 100M-1B, but Tesla just said it’s actually at 35M miles as of June. Pretty close for a wild guess. Still, with zero (verified) crashes thus far compared to 1 crash every 200k miles for average driving in the USA, the human-supervised FSD Beta program has proven at least 175x safer than normal driving.

Average revenue per car minus ZEV credits rose by $3.8k from $52.2k in Q1 to $56.0k in Q2, a bit more than my projection of $3k for just the price hike component. So, the price increase wave clearly started to hit along with continued mix shift away from Model 3, although I still think some of this came Shanghai contributing less to deliveries.

I missed big on average cost per car, which rose $3.5k QoQ from $36.5k to $40.0k whereas I predicted $37.5k. This was the by far biggest QoQ unit cost jump in recent years. It’s unclear what contributed most to this. Inflation, new factories at low rate, Shanghai shutdowns, maybe foreign exchange rate shifts.

Profit per car rose even though gross margin percentage declined. Up $300 QoQ to $16.0k (still excluding credits and also not breaking out sold vs leased).

Production capacity for Shanghai finally updated from >450k to >750k, plus Fremont now rated for 650k and Berlin/Austin finally go from “TBD” to “>250k”
Have to remind you that the miles on FSD are almost certainly not representative of all the miles driven on average. There is a bias that you will turn it on when you feel it will perform well (as you should with a beta software). Let´s not make this mistake even if Elon has been repeating this reasoning for years.