Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen/ looked into the cost estimates for the IRA? Just curious how out of bed their predicted number of vehicles to utilize the subsidy vs just our predicted Tesla production numbers alone. My guess is the cost (must be estimated by the CBO, right?) is way under estimated. Just a hunch.

Irish Replublican Army, Individual Retirement Account? Neither seems right here. You might want to lay off the TLAs and tell us what you really mean.

That wouldn't make a lot of sense. Say you drive double the battery only range and it charges the battery on the way back, now when you get home it is full and there is no point in plugging in.
In the Prius the gas engine charges the battery up to a minimum of 40% SOC and a max of 80% SOC. Even if you never plugged it in the car would just keep the pack in that range.

The problem is if you let the car sit unused the pack will drop below the minimum SOC eventually and the pack will go bad. They design it assuming you'll drive it year round.

Last edited:
In case you weren't joking, the Inflation Recovery Act. Mod: NO MORE POLITICS! --ggr
I wasn't joking and I didn't mean to bring any politics into the thread. I had no earthly idea what he meant by IRA in that context.

Three Letter Acronyms (TLAs) should be documented at least once in the post by using the expanded acronym or initialism.

I'd guess most people don't get free gas. I've been following a PHEV page for the Sorento (along with a bunch of other cars). Like Tesla, they have some fans that see developing the skills to use as many electrons vs gas as possible. Some are putting in a tank 2-4 times a year. When someone else is paying for the gas, people don't have a reason to be responsible (much like the gov workers getting PHEVs in the link posted). But when someone does the research and spends the premium for a PHEV (with their own money!) I expect you see a lot more plugging them in. Much like Tesla owners, those people tend to be "enthusiasts".

On a different note, I want a Tesla (haven't made the leap yet) and looked at renting one for a trip to my brother's place in Alabama (Vernon), from my place in East TN. Only problem, the nearest DCFC to his place remotely on my route (still about 30 miles out of the way) is about 125 miles from his place, so 250 miles round trip. There aren't any commercial level 2 chargers in his small town (or at his house) and I don't want to presume to ask to plug in an extension cord to level 1 charge at his house. So yeah, there is some infrastructure build-out to be done to make BEVs a little more universally practical, especially in smaller towns/remote areas (regarding DCFC). At my home, I'm an hour and a quarter from the nearest DCFC. Not an issue with a home charger, but a real issue for a renter. My previous home in Idaho was much more remote, there were a lot of loops in N. ID and N. Montana where ABRP threw up it's hands. But again, no doubt it's coming. Still, places like this are where PHEV with home charging could operate as a EV for normal, daily commuting, and only count on the ICE for trips, AT THIS TIME.
The least he could do is let you L1 charge at his place lol, L1 charging is excruciatingly slow though. That said, you don't have any extra plugs for a mobile charger, like for ex. could plug into his dryer socket etc. Shrugs, it's not worth the trouble for me, I'd just drive your gasser there.

The least he could do is let you L1 charge at his place lol, L1 charging is excruciatingly slow though. That said, you don't have any extra plugs for a mobile charger, like for ex. could plug into his dryer socket etc. Shrugs, it's not worth the trouble for me, I'd just drive your gasser there.
If we spent the dollars on a MYLR, we wouldn't have a gasser for backup for trips. I do have an older, high-mileage pickup for "truck stuff" (dump runs, building materials, etc). But it's not a rig I want to depend on on a long trip. Again though-I'm sure these are fairly short term problems. DCFC infrastructure is building out pretty quickly. Likely in 5 years even small towns or fairly remote areas will have them. Different note, I was just on ABRP looking at my old, Idaho stomping grounds (moved a year ago). In that time a couple new DCFCs have opened up on some loops I liked but ABRP said were no-go then. Non-Superchargers, so a CCS adapter would be a necessity. Just curious, do most Tesla owners have one?

I don't think every TSLA investor needs to buy a Tesla, but I do think it's highly advantageous for us all to at least get some seat time behind the wheel of one. Even if that means experiencing some L1 charging.

That wouldn't make a lot of sense. Say you drive double the battery only range and it charges the battery on the way back, now when you get home it is full and there is no point in plugging in.
The PHEV I had pre Tesla would do regen breaking so with a very long hill there was battery charging. ICE did not do any charging In mine. Saved on brake wear too.

Crazy to get a PHEV these days. Trade in will be zilch As I see it.

What extra revenue? Do you think Tesla would just raise the price of vehicles to eat the tax credit? I don't think they would.
What extra revenue? Billions per year in extra revenue.
Do you think Tesla would just raise the price of vehicles to eat the tax credit? Yes. Tesla will need to raise prices as will every EV maker.

Wait times are long now. And demand has stayed extremely strong as Tesla has raised prices already. With the new tax credit everyone gets $7500 off. Tesla will have to raise prices to keep the wait time under 18 months.

Also, the tax credit guarantees massive demand in the US for 10 years. So Tesla will prioritize production for the US market. Tesla's US sales will grow faster than previously expected.

Of course, that all depends on the bill getting passed. Right now, I'd put it at 50/50. If Sinema comes out in favor soon, the odds go up a lot.

Both Apple and Saudi Aramco each make about $100 billion net income per year these days. Tesla is approximately two or three years away from its first quarter with $100B annualized net income.

Apple is a closer comparison than Aramco. AAPL is trading today at a 26x price to earnings ratio, up from historically 10-20x prior to the pandemic. In 2024 Tesla will most likely still be growing 50%+ annually, in which case it should continue to command a P/E ratio much higher than AAPL's P/E. Let's say conservatively 50x for the forward P/E (not trailing twelve months, which would be significantly higher P/E because of the growth).

[ $100B earnings ] * [ 26 P/E ] = $2.6T market cap for Apple currently
[ $100B earnings ] * [ 50 P/E ] = $5T market cap for Tesla --> With 1.16B shares outstanding today, TSLA = $4300

Not professional investment or financial advice. Not advice of any kind.
When do thing we expect this 5T market cap? By 2024? 🤔

Reactions: capster
Recently folks here wondered how Tesla Bot will be trained and how long it will take. The likely answer is: By two methods and not long.

The two methods:

1) Simulation. Tesla talked about this at AI Day One. Their simulated driving environments are so close to reality that FSD can be safely trained for many dangerous situations before the training is refined by fleet data. Other companies have demonstrated other simulated environments with incredibly accurate physics of various objects (solids, fluids, gases, guns and butter).

2) Observation. Academic researchers have already demonstrated a robot hand that can learn a task by watching a human hand, using a single camera. Tesla likely knows about this work, or has hired the researchers.

Both methods will be very fast. Training in a simulation proceeds at the speed of supercomputers, allowing multitudinous practice runs in a day. Training by observation proceeds in real time, but a robot never forgets, and can share its training with millions of other robots almost instantly.

The following videos are cued to demonstrations of the two methods.

With the new tax credit everyone gets $7500 off.
Nope. A lot of people are over the income limit. The Model S&X and LR Model 3 are already over the MSRP limit. If they raised the prices it would be even worse.

We also don't know which if any of the batteries qualify because of the mineral requirements. The RWD Model 3 probably doesn't meet this so it wouldn't qualify. So it is possible that just some Model Y's would qualify. And raising prices could put that in jeopardy as well.

I don't think every TSLA investor needs to buy a Tesla, but I do think it's highly advantageous for us all to at least get some seat time behind the wheel of one. Even if that means experiencing some L1 charging.
That wasn't what I was implying by not worth it. Yea its good experience but he probably isn't going to buy the adapters to connect to whatever outlet at his destination to possibly L2 charge. Charging on L1 is enough to annoy casuals. hell it's as I wrote excruciating enough as a Tesla owner, so that's why I wrote its not worth the hassle if it were me. As a Tesla owner, I've got a mobile charger and plugs for my use so hooking up at his brother's would be a non-issue.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Nope. A lot of people are over the income limit. The Model S&X and LR Model 3 are already over the MSRP limit. If they raised the prices it would be even worse.

We also don't know which if any of the batteries qualify because of the mineral requirements. The RWD Model 3 probably doesn't meet this so it wouldn't qualify. So it is possible that just some Model Y's would qualify. And raising prices could put that in jeopardy as well.
and on the other side of the fence some of us don't make enough to take the full $7,500.

I've looked at my taxes each year and I've never paid more than $62xx. I could generate some tax liablity by selling some stock but depending on timing that might not be ideal.

Flyover country wages or someone living in the higher wage areas with lots of dependents might not have enough tax liability.

Or does the new bill switch it to where you don't need tax liability?

Recently folks here wondered how Tesla Bot will be trained and how long it will take. The likely answer is: By two methods and not long.

The two methods:

1) Simulation. Tesla talked about this at AI Day One. Their simulated driving environments are so close to reality that FSD can be safely trained for many dangerous situations before the training is refined by fleet data. Other companies have demonstrated other simulated environments with incredibly accurate physics of various objects (solids, fluids, gases, guns and butter).

2) Observation. Academic researchers have already demonstrated a robot hand that can learn a task by watching a human hand, using a single camera. Tesla likely knows about this work, or has hired the researchers.

Both methods will be very fast. Training in a simulation proceeds at the speed of supercomputers, allowing multitudinous practice runs in a day. Training by observation proceeds in real time, but a robot never forgets, and can share its training with millions of other robots almost instantly.

The following videos are cued to demonstrations of the two methods.

Observation method is the way, and here's why. In real life, it's called Peer Training and is most commonly in use today. Just as Primus is in human form to fit quickly into our existing world, the Observation Method is an easy transition if the robots are up to the task, because that's how training is setup today. The eLearning portion of the training would be gulped in an instant, followed by hands-on Peer Training with Demos and Shadow Mode (same term as FSD, same meaning too). Class Size = 1.

This still blows my mind how a single trained robot could replicate some new skill immediately across the fleet. Training Time approaches zero for volume production scenarios, Learning Efficiency skyrockets, and Process Control Charts naturally adjust to a new standard. Factory Ramps are faster by at least a couple weeks per line, the list goes on.

In the Factories I've worked in, production lines had a spec for the Procedures at each Operation, but I have yet to find a single operation where the person was following spec 100%. Many times they cut corners and create manufacturing defects without knowing it (either because it's easier or provides a higher output). So to get the "Procedure" exactly right (or exactly close, but consistent) across all robots, all shifts, and all Factories is Training Heaven! It also means we need half the HR staff (which is sadly where companies stick their training groups, and not in Operations).

Wow, the improvement cycles would likely accelerate because we remove the human variable. Experiments will likely yield more accurate results due to consistency of the tests performed. Place the robots into an R&D role, and with additional objectives and background, they could improved the methods. At that point, Training Time = ZERO. Completely eliminated training bc the Robots themselves figured out the better way to do it.

That wasn't what I was implying by not worth it. Yea its good experience but he probably isn't going to buy the adapters to connect to whatever outlet at his destination to possibly L2 charge. Charging on L1 is enough to annoy casuals. hell it's as I wrote excruciating enough as a Tesla owner, so that's why I wrote its not worth the hassle if it were me. As a Tesla owner, I've got a mobile charger and plugs for my use so hooking up at his brother's would be a non-issue.
You rent on Turo from an owner who provides cables and adapters. Easy enough.

Although I don't like that it looks like PHEVs will get the same credit as EVs, I don't think it will impact the benefit for EVs too much:

Regarding Tesla, since this is long term, it will help Tesla in eventually creating a ~$30K model with the confidence that it will sell in sufficient numbers required for that price range. For this and similar reasons, it will help battery prices come down and that will make PHEVS obsolete insofar as they aren't already, given their wasteful extra complexity.

While I don't understand the nature of current supply chain issues, I'm expecting the increased market outlook will increase the motivation and competition to solve these issues, at least in the larger picture.

With increased sales and/or profit, I also hope this will help Tesla to create a larger variety in car models (and trucks) offered. Insofar as helpful in increasing the market, that is.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Here is a little math doodle. What % of Tesla do you own?

Number of shares owned divided by 1,000,000,000 shares gets you about right or close at least. There is little debt To consider.

This decimal number might then be applied to the production number you estimate for this year such as 1,400,000 units. Your guess. Multiply it out.

This yields the quantity of EVs your percentage of ownership may produce this year.

These EVs (or portion thereof) will be delivering years of EV benefits because investors like you hold your shares whether you own a Tesla or not.

Something like .14 EVs per 100 shares per year (and growing). It is another way to look at ownership and investment. YMMV - not a mathlete 🙂
Thanks for the math, I trust you.
So I guess I own 11 equivalent Tesla EVs.
Cool

Just wondering what Tesla's capabilities are today in terms of training in simulation for unknown, rare situations. Is my assumption correct that Tesla isn't there yet for those goals?

For eg: Chucks unprotected left routine.
With their simulator and 3D mapping (I'm talking about the multiple video streams recreating the 3d scene, not LIDAR) , there is still a need to have engineers 'on site's to train/verify for this particular situation to see how FSD 10.13 would behave. I would've assumed that this scenario would've been a 'no-brainer' with the training tools they have?