Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For residential systems, I agree, but for commercial systems, that's relatively impractical. A 2 million BTU per hour boiler costs $50k and can be installed in a small room. Try getting that much heating capacity out of heat pumps and you would be shocked at the cost and size.

Respectfully @brantse - it is that very focus you mentioned on upfront Capital costs over long term O&M by A&E firms on new construction projects that was my biggest battle to bring greater efficiency to buildings and facilities in my career. And I found this was even more prevalent on design-build projects, as it can allow for much greater profit for the Design Team IMO. And when you finally throw a quick Carbon Footprint calculation on top of a Capital Dollar-driven HVAC project in new construction that opted for boilers over heat pumps it can make your head spin.

More importantly, I would argue that the scale of the project should be directly proportional to a design teams efforts to find creative solutions for implementing heat pumps so that the largest facilities do NOT use boiler systems whenever possible. So what if you can get a $50K boiler system? What are the impacts to Long Term O&M - regardless of the Carbon Footprint? I led one project to replace fuel oil burners with heat pumps in a brand new, very recently commissioned Federal project that was designed with a couple fuel oil boilers to heat over 50,000 sq ft. The first year of operation guzzled fuel oil at the rate of 120,000 gallons per year. It was comical to me that the design team was sincerely attempting to get the highest LEED rated project possible and still included a boiler system. True, the boiler system was simple, and it almost always ran fine, and the design was probably easy enough to cut and paste from a dozen other similar projects. All of which helped bring down the initial project Capital Costs - to your point. But this was a federal project that was being built with a vision to operate for the next half century in that location. And after operating it for the first year or so it was clear that this project's massive boiler system could - and should - be easily replaced with a heat pump system, and it would justify throwing away the brand new massive boiler system to get there. At that time the transition to an all-electric heat pump system reduced energy costs by almost $400,000/year while massively decreasing the carbon footprint of the facility. I am literally disgusted by some of the projects I have seen that were operated and/or funded at the State or Federal Level at the expense of tax payers and Electrical Rate Payers through their Utilities that are massive energy sink holes and Carbon Footprints because they refused to explore the Art of the Possible.

I am sincerely interested in Elon's/TSLA's heat pump efforts and implementation trajectory. The average person has no idea how much energy and Carbon Footprint reduction is possible in the average commercial building - existing or new. Nor do they know how little is really being done to increase that efficiency. My personal belief is that efficiency implementation is only at the rate necessary to minimize any grid expansion. I am hopeful Elon will be raising some awareness to this as well, as it is not only an energy and utility problem, it is also a social unjustice IMO.

Last edited:

1660752895098.png

Last edited:
This is rich. Don't include Tesla?

Oh, right, by leaving the highest selling cars in the state out this will make this such an effective measure, won't it?

Sounds like SMUD simply wants to make it appear that they are doing something, without actually doing anything at all.

Tesla already has an option to schedule charging during off peak hours. It may be that this is SMUD teaming up with the companies who are not competent to match that functionality.

It is not necessarily ignoring Tesla, if they are working to help manufacturers solve a problem Teslas don’t have.

@Drezil posted the impact of cost to MM for every dollar above max Pain for this week. I think that is having a strong affect. Max Pain is at 860.
If you are to believe this trend of thought, then we might be seeing sideway/downward trend till this Fri.
Open Interest data is always released before market open for the close the day before ..so lagging behind.

Today it looks a bit different. 900 calls were closed yesterday, 900 puts opened (basically "cancelling each other out"). 950 calls also saw a 25% reduction, whereas 1000c gained 50% interest. Therefore the "maxpain" moved from 860 to 870 today. I expect it to rise further - especially when people start buying 900p as "insurance" in case we break below - thus soldifying 900 as a "floor".
This changes the whole equation - but the "trend" is still there. It is now not THAT urgent to close under 900 on friday. And the risk for 950 is lowered. BUT if we spike over 1000 before friday then all hell breaks loose :D

in short: things are calming down in the option market at the levels we are currently at. 900p dominate todays volume - lets see tomorrow how many of those "stick".

Just a reminder, TSLA jumped 500 points last year out of nowhere…….on earnings, production, and revenue that will be dwarfed by this years Q3/Q4. I’m not saying we’re at 1500 share by end of the year. But I can see that 500 point jump easily happen sometime in the next 4-5 months

I get it. And in the interim, you are trying to talk the stock down as much as possible in your hope to place some profitable bets in your comical attempts to catch up to those of us who have simply been buying and holding.

I feel like you are starring as Bugs Bunny's antagonist in The Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner Show, for those of you old enough to have enjoyed some very fine cartoons with lessons about real life built into every episode.

I am surprised Cory is making predictions now. He is leaning away from his « Follow price action and let it do the talking, set your risk levels according to price action » mantra.

The retail bears will be back on his channel to bash him.
He was warning people to not short at the very predictable resistance level because the possibility of a bear trap because hedge funds are trying to get the best possible short price which is after the short squeeze. So he gave two possible scenarios and can't guarantee which will happen.

This questions been answered but it'd be funny if they didn't supply an adapter. Hell, who supplies Tesla at non-Tesla chargers with adapters, anyone? Oh right we have to buy our own! Have you seen the stupid size of some of these charger ports, ridonkulous. Eventually non_Tesla drivers will realize it's just better to get a Tesla next time lol.
Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging ;) I just learned about it a few weeks ago myself after saying something similar.

Last edited:
My hunch is we'll see many EV manufacturers adopt the 4680 format in the next few years. As Tesla ramps up 4680 usage they will not only be making 4680's themselves but buying as many 4680's from as many suppliers as they can. That will be a huge amount of supplier 4680's being produced at volume, which will make the costs for these cells very attractive to other EV manufacturers. Likely more so than current cell formats today.
Amateur marketers. They should go 4782 because everyone knows bigger is better.

Here is a possibility for all the Teslanaires! 😀
Sounds pretty pretty good when Tesla gets to 10T, right?

Is it green? ;)

This is what I'm thinking. Sail power is the greenest possible. Hopefully with an electric motor to move when not under sail.
1660752676189.png

Here is a possibility for all the Teslanaires! 😀
Sounds pretty pretty good when Tesla gets to 10T, right?

The day they have an electric cruise boat I'll be very interested. The level of pollution of those monster Diesel machines are truly horrible. I wonder if it might affect your health if you make it your permanent abode.

Converted a handful of shares to March 1k leaps. I will be shocked (and less wealthy now) if we don't see a major jump between now and then.

Yup. The sheer volume will shift the industry to adopt this format for a lot of applications. As that happens we will see cheap 4680s take over non-auto applications too.
Not quit a lot, but that's more than a few.

A Single
A Couple
A Few
A Handful
A Lot
A Bucket'O
A Cr*pload
A Truckload
A Chitload
Most of
Nearly All
Pretty Much All
All in.

I'm at a Few more today, cash - no selling.

Cory making some bold prediction for tomorrow. He thinks the market will gap up over resistance and cause capitulation by the bears. He also expect a pretty sizable pull back after the squeeze as institutional bears start shorting after all retail bears are squeezed out.

He was warning people to not short at the very predictable resistance level because the possibility of a bear trap because hedge funds are trying to get the best possible short price which is after the short squeeze. So he gave two possible scenarios and can't guarantee which will happen.

Goalposts?

Goalposts?
Watch the video. He said gap up short squeeze is a possible scenario he thinks is likely. And based on today's price action it's most likely the bear trap he talked about. The market is not dumping very hard at the resistance level everyone and their mother is shorting at. This is bad for bears. Today is suppose to be their day.

I don’t mind some discussion in this thread of day-to-day ramifications of living in a more environmentally conscious world, and I give especial latitude when it means diminishing one’s fossil fuel consumption.

So, a suggestion to many: stand-alone induction units are quite inexpensive now. A high quality single plate costs about $150 in the US. You can buy two, create a “platform” (even wood) to fit atop your existing range (try it out on 1/2 or 1/3 of a 4- or 6-burner gas range), and enjoy their benefits while learning the techniques. I am quite happy with the Duxtop 1800 watt ones we recently purchased. Their trade-off is that a cooling fan should make their internal electronics last longer than less expensive, silent ones that haven’t that feature.

I just returned a Duxtop 1800 watt 2 months ago because it would only pull 1280 watts as measured with an accurate power meter (which means it was only supplying less than 1150 watts of heat once 10% is subtracted for the power electronics inefficiencies and fan consumption). Looking on-line I see a whole bunch of people making the same observations about the same Duxtop 1800 unit (only draws 1200-1400 watts). I give it 1 star out of 5.

I don't recommend any 120 volt induction units for use where 240 volts is available. Our Miele induction range can boil water three to 5 times as fast as the Duxtop 1800 and the power increments are laid out to make cooking actually practical. The Duxtop 1800 has a lot of power level increments up high (where you don't need them) and not nearly enough around the simmer point (where you do need them). If I had never used a high-quality induction range, the little Duxtop 1800 would have ensured I never adopted induction cooking. But with a good 240-volt induction range, I can say it blows gas away! The only advantage gas had was that you could smash a heavy pan down without worrying about smashing the stovetop That's it.

I only mention this here to prevent people from being turned away from induction by having a poor experience with little 120V units like the Duxtop. It's very rare that I return anything at all and my unit showed no signs of being defective, it worked just like a bunch of other reviews online claimed (meaning it wasn't even close to the advertised power level).

Watch the video. He said gap up short squeeze is a possible scenario he thinks is likely. And based on today's price action it's most likely the bear trap he talked about. The market is not dumping very hard at the resistance level everyone and their mother is shorting at. This is bad for bears. Today is suppose to be their day.

What's the point of watching a video that says it will probably go up unless it goes down? Not trying to be antagonistic, it just seems like the predictive value here is not actionable for trading purposes.

Today feels like it was supposed to be an "energy reversal" day, where EV/solar/etc profits are taken and money is plowed into fossil fuels.

Right as TSLA tanked to $90x this morning, I got a text alert from Fidelity. Forgot I put a $25 SP alert on for Peabody the out-of-bankruptcy coal company. I'm trying to keep an eye on it for shorting at it's peak.

Anywho....all that seemed to unwind at 10:45 or so after folks digested the EIA weekly crude report.

Some folks were trying to run up XOM/CVX/WTI/etc today, and the market said no.

Now we're floating in no man's land. Interesting to see how this breaks today. WTI bottomed and is now trying to make another run. I doubt it gains traction.

• Informative
Reactions: jw934