Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How come the entities are able to find endless supply of shares at closing cross to cover their shorts . This is not a one time affair, per posters here, this is a daily occurrence. Who is selling to the manipulators and helping them
Cover their shorts?
Just curious to know

I suggest you read up on the Closing Cross, and how the NASDAQ Official Closing Price (NOCP) is set via bidding. This is a large subject which will require some study.

Today, I noticed that the National Best Price flucuated by almost $2 in the last 15-30 sec that the Market was open (during the Closing Cross countdown). That's a big swing to the upside (the normal is more like a few pennies or dimes).

TL;dr it's a bidding process where NASDAQ locks in the purchase orders at T-3 min before the Close, then sets a closing price which maximizes the number of shares that change hands given the Order Book.

hth. Paging @Boomer19 for the color.

Cheers!

I suggest you read up on the Closing Cross, and how the NASDAQ Official Closing Price (NOCP) is set via bidding. This is a large subject which will require some study.

Today, I noticed that the National Best Price flucuated by almost $2 in the last 15-30 sec that the Market was open (during the Closing Cross countdown). That's a big swing to the upside (the normal is more like a few pennies or dimes).

TL;dr it's a bidding process where NASDAQ locks in the purchase orders at T-3 min before the Close, then sets a closing price which maximizes the number of shares that change hands given the Order Book.

hth. Paging @Boomer19 for the color.

Cheers!
Thanks for clarifying the NOCP.
Is there a thread in TMC where that information can be found ?

I realize that Joe Justice videos get posted here from time to time, and he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Nonetheless, if you haven’t watched one of his videos, here’s a good one which fairly briefly summarizes how Tesla (and SpaceX) is run with no managers in an agile/mob system.
WOW
If you only have 3 minutes to watch/listen. Go to 12:55 - 15:55. Absolutely amazing.
I would summarize it but I wouldn't do it Justice ;)

Last edited:
The battery production credit will probably be more impactful to the US EV industry than the credits given to the actual cars. $35 per kWh? Dang. That might be another 10k in margin as long as demand stays the same or increases. 🤑

Really explains Panasonic's surprise decision to build a plant in Oklahoma AND Kansas. I'm increasing my odds that the next Gigafactory will be US based as well.

Last edited:
WOW
If you only have 3 minutes to watch/listen. Go to 12:55 - 15:55. Absolutely amazing.
I would summarize it but I wouldn't do it justice.
There's no way that's true, 60 part changes per day. I mean, the gist of the pace of innovation is 100% true I just can't see manufacturing being changed that continuously.

Right?

There's no way that's true, 60 part changes per day. I mean, the gist of the pace of innovation is 100% true I just can't see manufacturing being changed that continuously.

Right?
Come to think of it . . .that sounds crazy high. Perhaps he is including lines of code as well.
I wonder what @Discoducky thinks of Joe Justice's claim of 60 parts introduced per day?

The numbers being thrown around seemed crazy high to me too.
That guy strikes me as what I'd be like if I read this board all day AND did ton's of crystal meth.

But he ain't wrong about pace. And I suspect the variance between Tesla and their US competitors has grown larger as legacy design gets no clear mandate from the higher ups.

Ability to rely on Autopilot in difficult situations. Find yourself in a situation where other drivers are being aggressive, and avoiding people cutting in front of you? Pop on Autopilot, and none of those human drivers cutting in front of you and braking hard count against your score.
Yeah... they let FSD Beta / autopilot do stuff for which they would ding our scores because it is risky behavior that increases the chances of accidents. Yeah, I know it is supposed to be a machine that can react faster than humans, but some of that behavior is still risky. At this point, FSD is like a teenager learning to drive, and I wouldn't let a teenager do some of the stuff FSD does. If we drove like FSD Beta, we would have a safety score of 90 or less. Tesla should give us a "chill mode" FSD that drives exactly like a human who maintains a 98-100 safety score.

Reactions: XHabjab
Check out Robs video today - he covers the advanced manufacturing tax credit as well, but notes a very big possible red flag for telsa: As the bill is written automakers making there own cells for use in their own cars DO NOT receive the massive tax credit for cell production.

In other words Tesla would receive the $35 per KW credit for battery cells only if they were to sell them to someone else to use in their products.

This is according to robs interpretation of the BIll.

Check out Robs video today - he covers the advanced manufacturing tax credit as well, but notes a very big possible red flag for telsa: As the bill is written automakers making there own cells for use in their own cars DO NOT receive the massive tax credit for cell production.

In other words Tesla would receive the $35 per KW credit for battery cells only if they were to sell them to someone else to use in their products.

So Tesla's cost advantage if they can scale 4680 production will be more than negated? Have Elon's nasty tweets about certain political figures been avenged?

OEM's have formed partnerships with Korean companies to build cells in the US. I wonder how this counts.

The credits will reduce Panasonic's net cost to make cells in the US, so Tesla should still benefit from some lower costs.

Maybe Tesla can make a deal with Panasonic to assume ownership of Tesla's 4680 production and then Tesla could buy the cells. This would cut Panasonic in on profits from Tesla's innovation and hard work, but they could work a deal such that Tesla would still be ahead with the tax credit, as opposed to forfeiting all of it.

Last edited:
For those of who are lamenting the decline of Tesla service, I offer some recent positive experiences.
  1. A few weeks ago, a mobile ranger came to the house to replace the bumper stop on my trunk. Great tech (I knew him from previous visits in our 5 year Tesla lifetime) came out with a brand new part because the Service Center had given me one taken from another car. We could not ascertain any physical difference. What he brought and what I had were same part number and revision. Just new and unused. This is attention to detail.
  2. Earlier this month I posted a bug report that my left turn signal on my SPlaid was intermittent. Out of twenty touches it triggered once. Other times it was fine. I put in a service request. Today, a wonderful gentlemen arrived and swapped out my yolk in ten minutes. At my house. This is customer centric thinking, design, and logistics geared to address issues off site.

All communication was done via the app and text. The experience could not have been better. He arrived. I pulled the car out of the garage for him. We had a nice chat. I learned some things as did he. TMC is awesome. I helped him by holding the yolk as he torqued it. He seemed happy as an employee and eager to be of service.

My only complaint about service these days? We need a desktop/full size site for managing service interactions. Typing and interacting on a phone is not the best experience for me (not so young male).

Both techs arrived in Teslas by the way. First one in a modified Palladium S and the second in a X. They really need a Tesla Transit equivalent platform but it’s good to see them utilizing EVs for remote service visits.
It's a *yoke not a yolk. Eggs have yolks, but some planes have yokes. Your Plaid has a yoke.

Well I guess SpaceX will have to buy Tesla's battery division and sell it back to them.

I think Rob's interpretation is right. The government want one body to sell to another as that generates tax revenue. When you build it inhouse, the government doesn't get that revenue and you just get the credit.

Well I guess SpaceX will have to buy Tesla's battery division and sell it back to them.

I think Rob's interpretation is right. The government want one body to sell to another as that generates tax revenue. When you build it inhouse, you don't get that revenue and you just get the credit.

The law is written in a way that excludes one of the two US battery manufacturers in the country.

It’s a fine coincidence for the rest of the auto makers that Tesla is not eligible.