Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think somebody in the administration is going to have to have a talk with Powell. Sending the stock market into a tailspin right before the midterms definitely isn't in their interests.
No real choice. Oil market price gouging(and inflation) need to be stamped out.

I think they're pretty sure we're in the clear, but wanted to send a message. Worked too. Oil was trying for a comeback, but tanked to a new recent low. Hopefully we can get WTI back down to $75-80, where it was when all this nonsense started.

That plus good CPI numbers and we're all set.

No real choice. Oil market price gouging(and inflation) need to be stamped out.

I think they're pretty sure we're in the clear, but wanted to send a message. Worked too. Oil was trying for a comeback, but tanked to a new recent low. Hopefully we can get WTI back down to $75-80, where it was when all this nonsense started.

That plus good CPI numbers and we're all set.
A lot of what the Fed does it does by just talking and getting the market reaction they want. We'll see how much higher they actually go with rates. They seem to have tanked housing starts/purchases with what they have done so far. Food prices should mediate a bit with grain shipments from Ukraine and Russia restarted. I still think oil/gas will remain high as long as Putin is still breathing.

To be fair, I think many in this thread have felt that the spring was approaching it's absolute limit for 2 or 3 quarters now....only to still be waiting...
Two or three quarters is a flash in the pan to an investor with conviction. I would wait more than 2 or 3 years for TSLA to start appreciating again (as long as the fundamental reasons I bought the stock remain intact) but that's not going to be necessary. I can't say that as a fact, but I can say it with conviction. Conviction should never be blind; it should always be based on real things.

In 1997 I started buying QCOM with the conviction they held the keys to high-bandwidth cellular data. Cellular data was, at the time, slower than molasses and as expensive as caviar. People actually thought the common person didn't need high-bandwidth cellular data. I knew they wanted high bandwidth cellular data; they just didn't know it yet.

In 1998 QCOM went down, not up. It made no sense as Qualcomm was profitable and growing. So, I bought more. It got cheaper still! It was about 30-35% cheaper than the very low price I had already Identified as a bargain even though adoption of Qualcomm's technology was growing rapidly and proving its abilities in the real world with millions of users. I even sold highly appreciated MSFT stock that still had a bright future to buy more QCOM. It was our biggest position of just a handful, by far. Then we moved into our tiny uninsulated summer vacation cabin in the neighboring County, sold our real house (that we owned outright) and put 90% of the proceeds into more QCOM which showed no signs of life if all you looked at was the market price. In the spring of 1999 Ericsson settled out of court with Qualcomm and the stock quickly doubled. I watched with mild amusement as greedy people, not wanting to lose their unrealized profits, sold for two, three or four times what they had originally paid. They thought payday had finally come! Over the next 9 months QCOM continued to appreciate until it was worth 36 times the doldrums of 1998. Every $100,000 invested had turned into $3.6 million. I didn't sell a single share until the day before it peaked, the last trading day of 1999. This is what I had waited 3 years for, and it was worth the wait! Investing is not for the impatient or those quick to take profits. That said, I am not expecting TSLA to perform just like that! But the longer the price is held down, the more it will resemble a rocket ship again. If markets were not so spastic, TSLA would more closely resemble a locomotive of the kind that steam-rolls your way to great wealth. Instead, it goes in unpredictable and irrational fits and spurts that have little to do with the actual value of the company.

Always judge the value of a company by your own analysis, not the current share price or recent share price movements! That's how you lose. And remember that 2 or 3 quarters in the investment world is like 5 minutes to a day trader. Don't invest with impatience - that's not how you become wealthy Manipulators rely on other's impatience to finally get their way. And never sell a stock simply because it doubled or tripled quickly, only sell because it has become abundantly clear the future of the company is not bright enough to justify the price. Even then I would caution against selling too soon as momentum and market FOMO will typically push the price far higher than it has any right to be. If the company is as good as your analysis showed, it will likely be OK to hold through a multi-year period of doldrums if you get caught in the downdraft that stagnates for a multi-year period. Ideally, you would sell before such an event but it's almost always better to hold too long than to sell too early (unless the company has no substance or staying power).

I would argue that TSLA, as a long-term, core holding, is undervalued at more than triple the current price even if I assume FSD will never work. And that's an assumption I'm not willing to make.

Last edited:
Disappointed to read the following Tesla Semi comments on LinkedIn from Jigar Shah, director of loan products at the DoE and renewables pioneer:

Operating costs are most certainly lower. But this doesn't accurately count the extra Infrastructure costs for Superchargers which will be closer to $0.43/kwh. Also doesn't address the weight versus payload trade-off math. Are these awesomely engineered trucks only good when delivering lighter loads or equally awesome when loaded up?

The reality is that most of these first fleets going EV are ones that return to a central place to charge. Unlikely to work today on routes going across the country.

(post link)

Referenced article....

What is the deal with this DoE? I understand pandering to Michigan voters, but why tear down and borderline lie about those on the front lines of the transition?

Perhaps I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's misinformed.

(note: Shah does all his own LinkedIn posting)
DoE (pronounced "Doh!") is the abbreviation for the US Ministry of Oil. Once you know that, it explains a lot. 🤷‍♂️

Okay, this cracked me up... 🤣

"Tesla lobbyist registry documents in Canada hint that the EV automaker has initiated talks with CN’s federal government. The public records suggest Tesla has been talking with feral government officials in Canada over the last six months."

From this Teslarati article

Screenshot

1662007041336.png

I just hope they got their shots after such an encounter.

Two or three quarters is a flash in the pan to an investor with conviction. I would wait more than 2 or 3 years for TSLA to start appreciating again (as long as the fundamental reasons I bought the stock remain intact) but that's not going to be necessary. I can't say that as a fact, but I can say it with conviction. Conviction should never be blind; it should always be based on real things.

In 1997 I started buying QCOM with the conviction they held the keys to high-bandwidth cellular data. Cellular data was, at the time, slower than molasses and as expensive as caviar. People actually thought the common person didn't need high-bandwidth cellular data. I knew they wanted high bandwidth cellular data; they just didn't know it yet.

In 1998 QCOM went down, not up. It made no sense as Qualcomm was profitable and growing. So, I bought more. It got cheaper still! It was about 30-35% cheaper than the very low price I had already Identified as a bargain even though adoption of Qualcomm's technology was growing rapidly and proving its abilities in the real world with millions of users. I even sold highly appreciated MSFT stock that still had a bright future to buy more QCOM. It was our biggest position of just a handful, by far. Then we moved into our tiny uninsulated summer vacation cabin in the neighboring County, sold our real house (that we owned outright) and put 90% of the proceeds into more QCOM which showed no signs of life if all you looked at was the market price. In the spring of 1999 Ericsson settled out of court with Qualcomm and the stock quickly doubled. I watched with mild amusement as greedy people, not wanting to lose their unrealized profits, sold for two, three or four times what they had originally paid. They thought payday had finally come! Over the next 9 months QCOM continued to appreciate until it was worth 36 times the doldrums of 1998. Every $100,000 invested had turned into $3.6 million. I didn't sell a single share until the day before it peaked, the last trading day of 1999. This is what I had waited 3 years for, and it was worth the wait! Investing is not for the impatient or those quick to take profits. That said, I am not expecting TSLA to perform just like that! But the longer the price is held down, the more it will resemble a rocket ship again. If markets were not so spastic, TSLA would more closely resemble a locomotive of the kind that steam-rolls your way to great wealth. Instead, it goes in unpredictable and irrational fits and spurts that have little to do with the actual value of the company.

Always judge the value of a company by your own analysis, not the current share price or recent share price movements! That's how you lose. And remember that 2 or 3 quarters in the investment world is like 5 minutes to a day trader. Don't invest with impatience - that's not how you become wealthy Manipulators rely on other's impatience to finally get their way. And never sell a stock simply because it doubled or tripled quickly, only sell because it has become abundantly clear the future of the company is not bright enough to justify the price. Even then I would caution against selling too soon as momentum and market FOMO will typically push the price far higher than it has any right to be. If the company is as good as your analysis showed, it will likely be OK to hold through a multi-year period of doldrums if you get caught in the downdraft that stagnates for a multi-year period. Ideally, you would sell before such an event but it's almost always better to hold too long than to sell too early (unless the company has no substance or staying power).

I would argue that TSLA, as a long-term, core holding, is undervalued at more than triple the current price even if I assume FSD will never work. And that's an assumption I'm not willing to make.
I agree that TSLA is currently undervalued at about triple the price, and any discount to that price I’d normally use to reflect risks that things don’t work out as planned is more than offset by a premium I’d assign in Tesla’s case to things working out better than planned (e.g. FSD and robotaxi coming to fruition, energy revs and margin taking off, bots, etc).

I love reading this forum, but it does have a downside of posters trying to tie business changes to short term stock changes. Month-to-month, and even year-to-year, stock prices are determined by the machinations of traders. At some point (that is impossible to predict with precision), the market price is adjusted in a big spurt (up or down) to bring it more in alignment with fundamentals, and then the traders take over again.

I’m very confident that another big adjustment is coming to TSLA. I think that adjustment is coming very soon, but I realize that shorter term timing is just a probabilistic guess, not to gamble serious money on.

For those of us investing with conviction about Tesla’s bright future, patience is the path.

But that’s if the new chengdu lockdown doesn’t affect us right? I can’t see how it won’t. Lockdown of 21million population seems like a lot.
In a country of over 1.4 billion, the question is what supply chains are affected and are factories shut down?

China is doing its best to keep Chengdu factories and offices going in “capsules”. While some factories may be down, I would wager most will be operating on some level. This is advertised as a four day shut down to test everyone. They moved based on 167 positives. Because of all the FUDsters, if there was a direct impact on Tesla Shanghai, chances are high it would have been carried in a Reuters headline.

China does seem really intent on causing major economic damage to itself. Wonder if that will change after their elections.

In a country of over 1.4 billion, the question is what supply chains are affected and are factories shut down?

China is doing its best to keep Chengdu factories and offices going in “capsules”. While some factories may be down, I would wager most will be operating on some level. This is advertised as a four day shut down to test everyone. They moved based on 167 positives. Because of all the FUDsters, if there was a direct impact on Tesla Shanghai, chances are high it would have been carried in a Reuters headline.

China does seem really intent on causing major economic damage to itself. Wonder if that will change after their elections.
china and elections ;)

But that’s if the new chengdu lockdown doesn’t affect us right? I can’t see how it won’t. Lockdown of 21million population seems like a lot.
Hopefully, come Sunday, it is lifted...

"Chengdu, which reported 157 domestically transmitted infections on Wednesday, is the largest Chinese city to be locked down since Shanghai in April and May. It remained unclear whether the lockdown would be lifted after the mass testing ends on Sunday."