Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like to believe Elon crashes the stock every now and then so we (believers!) get the opportunity to BTD. At least then I think there's some rationale to it all. Either way, it doesn't matter as I can buy more and more at lower prices.

I'm relatively new to this (Sept 2020) and therefore been an "interesting" couple of years of ups and down. Bought too many at 1000-1100 and therefore good to have the opportunity again at 750 (250)!

But obviously I'm at a different point of this journey and appreciate if it was 20 years later and I was thinking of retiring, it would be much more stressful. Hopefully these fluctuations will have settled down by the 2030's!

Last edited:
The two lines on the rear view screen are far more useful.
For me its the front end clearing a concrete wall as I depart my spot; I always back in to park, agree the rear camera and white lines are sufficient; it’s the front end that gets real close and I cannot see it so I rely on the distance countdown.

Holy *sugar*, single stack vector space incoming! (NOTE: Vision cannot calculate the current sonar visualization for parking. The only way to park with vision is to do it in vector space with much higher accuracy). They MUST have high confidence in the vector space vision solution. Super cool!

It's very surprising that they didn't talk more about this on AI day.

Also, the all up cost for sonar in a Tesla is around ~$500 to $800 when you factor in cabling/harnesses, connectors, clips, packaging space, tooling to punch holes in the bumpers and fenders, manufacture time...etc

I can't wait to see new vehicles without the pucks!!! (NOTE: Model X has a couple of hidden sonars in the doors and those are way more expensive than flush mount; I'd assume these go away as well and could also be solved with vector vision)

I hope you're right. I rely on those little sensors a lot!

Interesting that they've recycled the same URL where they announced the removal of radar.

If you check the Wayback Machine, Tesla announced the removal of radar on May 25, 2021, including the temporary removal of features like Smart Summon and the IIHS rating for AEB: Transitioning to Tesla Vision

And then, it only took 1 month and 4 days for them to regain those features and regain the IIHS rating: IIHS restores Tesla Model 3's top safety rating after testing the vision-based system, Consumer Reports follows - Tesla Oracle

FWIW they still haven't restored all the features lost compared to radar cars... max speed is still 5 mph lower, and min follow distance is still 1 notch longer.

Whatever happens to the 360 view that we’ve been promised? If we have that then your use case would be solved?

It's physically impossible to offer one like many other cars do, because there are no cameras that can see those areas-- the front for example, none of the tesla cameras can see below the hoodline because they're all mounted high on the windshield. Likewise there's no cams that can see low on the sides ahead of the rear-facing fender cams... Other cars do that 360 view by having small fisheye cams mounted low on the bumpers to actually be able to see low all around the car.

Tesla could kind of do a pseudo-360 view based on remembering what it does see on approach, and that'd work ok for things like curbs other than on really tight turns where it never gets a low view, but it's never going to be as good (or handle things that move like kids and pets really low and close to the car) as real 360 cams would.

That said- the ultrasonics ALSO had low/close blindspots-- so ditching them doesn't really change much except make the cars cheaper to build.... and the ultras DEFINITELY had no memory at all--- something vision at least COULD fix for non-moving things like pillars.

FWIW they still haven't restored all the features lost compared to radar cars... max speed is still 5 mph lower, and min follow distance is still 1 notch longer.

It's physically impossible to offer one like many other cars do, because there are no cameras that can see those areas-- the front for example, none of the tesla cameras can see below the hoodline because they're all mounted high on the windshield. Likewise there's no cams that can see low on the sides ahead of the rear-facing fender cams... Other cars do that 360 view by having small fisheye cams mounted low on the bumpers to actually be able to see low all around the car.

Tesla could kind of do a pseudo-360 view based on remembering what it does see on approach, and that'd work ok for things like curbs other than on really tight turns where it never gets a low view, but it's never going to be as good (or handle things that move like kids and pets really low and close to the car) as real 360 cams would.

That said- the ultrasonics ALSO had low/close blindspots-- so ditching them doesn't really change much except make the cars cheaper to build.... and the ultras DEFINITELY had no memory at all--- something vision at least COULD fix for non-moving things like pillars.
I feel like it already has a pseudo top down. You can see the visualization of all the cars around the car when parking and getting out of tight spots.

Agree that long run is fine - but the next year or two I'd expect quite a bit of focus on Twitter.
This is true with most any new project he takes up, isn't it?
(consider each of the sub-projects going on at Tesla and SpaceX, plus the side gigs at Boring and so on...)

Twitter is just another on the long list of projects to keep track of that day. He knows how to juggle this stuff better than anyone else.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Agreed. I directly spoke with two Tesla employees yesterday and they are frustrated as hell.

One wants to start a family and the uncertainty of the stock is making it difficult. Long or short. This is a real life situation.

The other just wanted him to stop with the damn tweets and do what he is so friggin’ good at…..not what makes him look like a dunce.

I texted with a friend of mine that got out at near high and he was laughing at how much I’d lost since. Normally I wouldn’t care. But there is no logical reason for us to be in the mid 200’s.

Paper loss or not. I can’t do certain things now that my discretionary investment in Tsla should have permitted. Today. The SP is not aligned with the performance nor the health of the company. And it’s not all cuz of the MMS or shorties.

There is almost a deliberate tanking whenever we go up.

Dislike all you want (and it’s blatantly obvious who will) I can’t just look at the five year chart to make me feel better any more. That exuberance has long since withered.
Guy sends your account to 100x and you're complaining? He clearly said there would be volatility.

If you wanted to sell at $400....
why didn't you? Sorry a $1T valuation isn't enough and you don't like his tweets!

Step back and look at how ridiculously spoiled we are.

Whatever happens to the 360 view that we’ve been promised? If we have that then your use case would be solved?

Those of us with FSD already have the 360-degree birds-eye view when parking. It works well, but, as someone who has parked cars in every conceivable situation for their entire life without using birds-eye-view, it seems more like a party trick than a necessity. However, it comes at no additional incremental cost to provide, so I imagine it's not going away.

This is true with most any new project he takes up, isn't it?
(consider each of the sub-projects going on at Tesla and SpaceX, plus the side gigs at Boring and so on...)

Twitter is just another on the long list of projects to keep track of that day. He knows how to juggle this stuff better than anyone else.
It likely will be given time, but a Tesla or SpaceX project bolts on to what he has previously done with the same people in the same company. Elon was near enough employee number 1 for both companies so the incremental jump comes from core knowledge of the business.

There's arguably a far bigger learning curve buying a 16 year old company with all its warts.

Ultrasonics deletion --> Roughly $600/$60k = 1% extra for vehicle gross margin

I don't think anyone outside the company saw this coming, so naturally all of us rational agents in the efficient stock market have been immediately updating vehicle COGS in our models. Right?

I just shifted my cost per car down by $0.5k starting in Q1 and that added $0.40/share to my 2023 estimates.

One wants to start a family and the uncertainty of the stock is making it difficult. Long or short. This is a real life situation.

I'm thinking your friend is confused about the mechanics of starting a family. ;) People are so spoiled these days, I think everyone has brain fog and complainer's syndrome.

Uncertainty has always been a part of starting a family but Tesla is making it easier, not harder. Instant gratification is not a constitutionally protected right. That's why our founders declared, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" instead of "life, liberty and the deliverance of happiness". 😆

Last edited: