Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks in Austin!

@Gigapress plans to swing through Our Fair City Sunday afternoon on a cross-country trip, and would like to meet up with anyone who wants to share some grub/coffee/chat time.

Please Direct Message me and I will attempt to rally us together. Need to be flexible a bit as timeframes may shift for Gigapress (as they sometimes do on road trips).

Please DO NOT reply in the main forum here as other folks will rightly get annoyed at logistics that need not concern them. Any cool learnings can be posted here after the chat (in a nondisruptive manner).

Disclaimer: this is the prolific poster Gigapress, not the actual 9000 ton machine ;)

My tl;dr on last night's loooong Neuralink presentation.

Predicted six months before they hope to get FDA approval for human clinical trials.

Initial application will allow completely paralyzed individuals to communicate with thought. They have crude versions of this working now in monkeys, so this should be relatively easy to do in humans. They talked about two other applications, both of which will require a lot more research work.

One new one is vision restoration. They have already demonstrated being able to create bright flashes in a monkey's visual field of view in precise locations. From there to creating a real time crude grayscale representation of what a camera sees is a relatively small step from a theoretical perspective.

They showed how they can contract and elongate a pig's leg muscles through motor cortex stimulation. However fixing a spinal cord injury to allow movement has a fairly long way to go and will require new research and technologies. Doable, but longer term (for instance, now you are integrating into the spinal cord rather than the brain, and they just haven't started doing that yet).

Like all of Elon's companies, they are hardware rich during this R&D phase and have continually iterated every aspect of their technologies to enhance real world performance metrics like longevity, power usage, and safety for their implantable brain device. Their current brain implant is getting close to mass production capable. That thing is a technological marvel integrating bluetooth communications, ARM processor to decode spikes in real time, power managements, battery and wireless power recharging all connected to 1024 probes, soon 16K thin wire probes. All hermetically sealed operating in a hostile environment (inside the human body).

And mass production they will need. The first questions came from neuroscientists who were salivating over the possibilities of this hardware for neuroscience research. While Neuralink is necessarily currently focused on real world injury mitigation applications (for revenue reasons), many neuroscientists want to figure out how the thinking parts of the brain work. How do we reason? How do we lay down memories? Anyways, research labs across academia will each want to buy whatever v1.0 kit Neuralink produces.

That 1.0 kit will include a surgery robot for implantation, the actual brain implant, and all the software systems that interpret the raw neuron spike data.

I can't emphasize enough just how many different advanced technologies Neuralink has already produced and worked on. In addition if they were an academic institution, they would have produce thousands of academic papers by now.

Finally, Elon. Elon started this as a way of producing better human/computer symbionts for the inevitable AI/human meshing. As he pointed out, we are already symbionts because our phones are already an extension of ourselves, and they provide access to the digital/information/communication world.

But all that is in the far future. His company, composed of real world engineers, is busy creating down to earth technologies that allow for brain reading and brain writing to solve current low hanging fruit problems. It is very analogous to SpaceX which was formed to create a civilization on Mars, but 20 years on is still "just" the world leader in orbital lift. Elon won't see his ultimate SpaceX dream in his lifetime, nor will he see all the things Neuralink will do, But along the way, Neuralink will have a profound impact on brain science and medical technology while being a profitable medical technology corporation.

More so than when Elon presents about his other companies, you could tell that Elon was barely hanging on when talking about this advanced medical/biological technology. When he spoke, it would be visionary, and when his engineers/medical experts answered the question (he had like 20 on stage, each giving a part of the presentation and all answering questions), it was very technical and to the point. This isn't surprising - Neuralink is the most far afield from his knowledge base company he has started.
Thanks for the summary. I will add one comment related to a question that came up related to coating the threads with certain drugs to avoid inflammatory responses such as tissue build up on the threads. This approach has been used on stents with some success.

There is a functional penalty to this approach in the sense that there may be a double regulatory burden in the approval process. Two FDA divisions might be involved in approval - Drug & Devices. You do not want to go this path lightly if avoidable since either part of the agency can drag out approval. A first approval that is as simple as possible is a smart path.

The response to the question was a good one IMO related to mitigating the tissue buildup impact by using fine threads where the inflammatory response appears muted.

Anyone seen this?
D99AEEDC-2AFC-45B4-A21E-C2C06A6985DD.jpeg

CharIN, the industry group that helps determine charging standards and is behind CCS, has come out with a public statement essentially throwing cold water on Tesla's NACS charging standard proposal.

More info here:

I would encourage everyone here to write in to CharIN (you can use their contact form linked below) and encourage them to support the Tesla NCAS connector, based solely on it's technical merits.

Feel free to use or adopt what I submitted below, or write your own.

Their form works as great as CCS1: string(30) "Undefined variable $newsletter"

Their form works as great as CCS1: string(30) "Undefined variable $newsletter"
I got stuck in an infinite loop. When I click "Agree to privacy policy" the submit button becomes disabled. When I uncheck it the button is enabled but says "You must agree to the privacy policy" when clicked. They must have hired the same programmer that does the EVgo stations.

I sure got a lot of dislikes several months ago when I predicted this would happen. It was inevitable, but I'm glad they were able to hold out all the way until December before offering the credit.
Same here. Ate so many downvotes when I said the tax credit thing was going to lead to struggling deliveries, especially with shorter wait times.

There will be no single moment in time when FSD is realized. FSD will continue to improve incrementally for many years as Tesla teaches the system to handle more scenarios better.

I think the best way to look at FSD from an investor point of view is to study use cases. Right now, I see two things that FSD does today better than a human driver:
  • Highway driving
  • Driving in unfamiliar locations. The reason this is today better than a human alone is that you are freed from concentrating on navigation. You only need to babysit the system, which is easier than having to worry about both traffic and missing the next turn.
So what will be the next use case FSD is likely to solve? What will be the value of that use case?

Some candidates for the near future are:
  • Driving better than a human in familiar locations*
  • Actually Smart Summon (ASS)
  • Reverse summon
  • Hands free driving
  • Transition from route to parking at home
  • Geofenced robotaxi
* Note for the first one I said "better" and not "safer". I don't think many will buy FSD if it is only theoretically safer than a human. Everyone thinks he's an above-average driver. So until users perceive that FSD can drive just as smoothly, with minimal or zero oversight, this use case won't add much value to the stock.

So what other use cases are likely to be solved in the near future? I'm sure I missed some that are on the horizon.
Although I agree there will be continual progress there IS a single moment for FSD. That’s when regulators deem it safe enough to no longer require supervisio. It is possible that Tesla may restrict this to certain geographies at first and then there’s another moment when it can be unsupervised throughout a country.

A $62k Model 3 would need to be cut down to $55k to quality for the tax incentives in the first place

Many felt when they pulled the LR AWD Model 3 from the website for new orders it was specifically so they could reintroduce a $55,000 one (possibly with features removed, or behind a software paywall) on Jan 1.

A $62k Model 3 would need to be cut down to $55k to quality for the tax incentives in the first place
I really doubt they will drop the Performance Model 3 down to $55,000. Has it EVER been that low? I'm sure that come January 1 Tesla is going to pull an updated Model 3 dual motor out of their hat that meets the requirements of the IRA, or at least half of it, $3750.

It could be an insight to what the eligible Credit is going to be next year.
I don't think so. If I recall correctly, for the first year Tesla will no doubt qualify for the full $7500. The year after, Tesla needs to meet the sourcing requirements for the full $7500 going forward (which I'm confident Tesla will be able to do).

Btw, this price cut has been anticipated by many others here including me. However, I do think Tesla will be announcing a price increase for the Model Y once the exact guidelines are revealed sometime this month. I think Tesla is just waiting on that before announcing a price hike (for just the Y)