Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see this relentless attack on Elon and his companies as part of an extinction burst. Innovators are outsiders to all entrenched organizations (political, industrial, religious, media, etc.). Disrupting the status quo is never an easy task. Look at all the wasted energy and resources being expended to try in vain to keep the landscape from changing! So be it. The people orchestrating this travesty can all go be fruitful and multiply with themselves.

This prolonged manipulation just pisses me off. Normally I would gift some shares at this time of year to charitable organizations. It is looking like I might skip this year for share donation and double up next year. I will give cash. I cannot bear to see the TSLA shares sold at this price.

I am done with the rant for now...
problem gif.gif

Wow! This short video shows the distinctive waviness in the body panels is still there which strengthens my conviction that Tesla might be cold-rolling the stainless steel themselves as the panels pass through a long line of high-pressure rollers that simultaneously hardens the panels with high pressure rollers as it progressively bends the sheets as it passes through. No slow, intermittent industrial sheet metal brake bending one panel at a time, sequentially! This could be a very rapid and continuous process that would spit out the finished panels at the end of the forming line by the thousands. This belief is also supported by the fact that management of the new steel mill a couple of hundred miles from GigaTexas said they had no plans to make cold rolled stainless steel.

The reason this waviness makes me think it will be roll hardened by Tesla themselves is that roll-hardened stainless steel from the mill is very flat and does not exhibit waviness like that. The initial Cybertruck prototypes did not exhibit that waviness which makes me think they were contructed out of mill-hardened stainless steel. Bending it on a sheet metal brake shouldn't be able to induce the kind of waviness present on more recent prototypes. I believe that is a characteristic it would take on if it were roll hardened as it was being bent by specially positioned and shaped rollers. This would also allow Tesla to roll harden the panels to different levels of hardness throughout each panel to suit the specific requirements of different areas of the panels. I would think portions of the panel could be left un-hardened or only lightly hardened so those area could still be formed by a press and die into more complex shapes if that would help the truck assemble easier.

If this is correct, it bodes extremely well for massive numbers of Cybertrucks at low prices/high margins because it means the panels could be quickly stamped out of soft stainless steel and not hardened until they had their final shape (or even during the shaping). It would also reduce the cost of the raw sheet metal and increase Tesla's vertical integration. I think this would be much faster and easier than performing all the fabrication after the steel was ultra-hard. If so, it's brilliant and the ramifications of this would be massive.
The area near the drive unit section with undergound water vaults and a strong steel framework is an area that seems suitable for cold rolling.

My read: Elon gave Tim Cook a ride in a Tesla when he visited, and Tim rushed back to the office and declared the Apple Car project dead. Just kill it already. It's a non-starter. Stick to what you know, Tim

Edit: Ninjaed by @wipster during one of his rare non nap times.
Smart minds think alike my friend, and even us!

It's NOT about today or yesterday, but TOMORROW.

The chronic timeline lies re: FSD (which really stings having "purchased FSD," supposedly, on about four Teslas), the FIVE-YEAR delay in the Semi, the most recent "no price drop" from Tesla China, followed soon thereafter by price drops and other incentives, just have people thinking there's a veracity problem at Tesla, starting at the top. (Not having even a ONE PERSON PR department may not have been the smartest move, but no one challenges Elon decisions without apparently being fired?)
If you're going to accuse someone of lying, then provide evidence for the allegation. If you have no evidence, then why not give your fellow humans the benefit of the doubt with respect to malice vs. mistakes?

"FIVE-YEAR delay"? The Semi reveal was in Nov 2017 and the original estimated time for initial deliveries was 2019. So that's a three year delay. In between then and now, there have been major unexpected problems including Model 3 Production Hell, COVID, Supply Chain Hell, and surprisingly strong demand for 3 & Y that have sucked up all available resources. I would imagine Tesla has probably been in communication with Semi reservation holders in the meantime explaining the delays.

People challenge Elon's decisions all the time and he openly welcomes it. He is an actual scientist who fully embraces the philosophy of empiricism and striving to become less wrong over time via humility, open-mindedness, and careful observation and data collection. That is one of the main reasons why I'm invested, because that's both extremely important and extremely uncommon amongst senior managers in general in the corporate world. I can't find the video clip anymore, but I remember that Sandy Munro recounted an experience last year with sitting in on a SpaceX design review meeting in which Elon said they should do something and immediately another engineer directly contradicted him like "C'mon Elon, that won't work for XYZ reasons" and Elon was like "Oh, ok, what else have we got?" Sandy said he was shocked to witness that, because no other C-suite executive he'd ever had the displeasure of sitting with in a meeting would've responded positively to being called out like that. In my experience at Boeing and a previous company it was the same. We wasted so much time tiptoeing around executive egos and doing stuff we knew was a dead end because no one could just bluntly tell them why something wouldn't work and actually get anywhere with it. Normally executives are more interested in having subordinates stroking their egos and in maintaining an image of infallibility.

Also, what is your rationale for how a PR department would accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy? That's the only criterion that matters. It seems like Martin Viecha is doing a decent-enough job, so he literally is serving as the ONE PERSON PR department you think we don't have.

Mix in the "T" purchase, and add some very peculiar CEO behavior that would have had any and every other CEO on the planet fired by the board within hours, and, well, now we're at a two-year low on TSLA.
I'd guess about 90% of that loss is self-inflicted wounds.
Nice guess. Do you have data you can show us to demonstrate how you reached this conclusion?

I just checked and I see that the stock prices of all of the following have hit 1.5 to 2-year lows at some point in Q2 and in Q4, with most hitting extreme lows in the middle of October:
  • Tesla

• S&P 500
  • NASDAQ

• Microsoft
  • Alphabet
  • Amazon
  • TSMC
  • Meta
  • NVIDIA
  • Tencent
  • Samsung
  • Alibaba
  • ASML
  • Broadcom
  • Oracle
  • Cisco
  • Texas Instruments
  • Adobe
  • Tata
  • Netflix
  • Qualcomm
  • Salesforce
  • SAP
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Meituan
  • PinDuoDuo

• Toyota
  • Volkswagen
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • Ford
  • Honda
  • BMW
  • GM
  • Stellantis
  • Hyundai
  • Nissan
  • BYD
  • Kia
  • Renault*
  • Nio
  • Li Auto
  • Great Wall Motors
  • Suzuki*
  • Geely
  • SAIC
  • Changan*
  • Ferrari
  • Rivian
  • Lucid
  • Fisker
*Renault, Suzuki and Changan hit 2-year lows in Q2 but not Q4. Suzuki and Changan did drop in October however, still following the overall group trend.

I see that this list includes (with the exception of Apple and IBM) all of the world's most valued software/electronics companies and all of the world's automotive companies.

It's really quite unfortunate that one man has the power to unleash this much destruction, not only on his own company's stock but also the stocks in his business sectors as well as the entire stock market. Why can't he just be normal? This is all his fault and I'm very angry at him for doing this. /s

It's been a month since I last updated these charts, but they clearly show the tight coupling between TSLA and the S&P 500. The relationship with the NASDAQ looks similar but slightly weaker.

1670355228102.png

1670355260932.png

As shown below, there clearly has been some decoupling in Q4 so far, starting on Oct 3rd, which was the first trading day of Q4 and also the Monday after the "disappointing" P&D numbers came out. To reiterate, the auto and tech sectors in general had really rough Octobers in the stock market, so TSLA was not especially unique.

The real nonsense mainly occurred in the beginning of November, and nothing seems to have pulled TSLA back up since then.

1670355645588.png

There is a convenient, emotionally salient explanation for this drop starting November 4th that maybe some people would like to discuss further in the Twitter thread. There are also other possible factors we could identify, like:
  • The intensifying China-related fears regarding demand and potential COVID disruptions, in the aftermath of low October wholesale numbers being published, growing numbers of Omicron cases nationwide, new government lockdowns in some areas including Shanghai, and growing social unrest unprecedented in the entire post-Tiananmen Square era
  • Elon selling 20M shares that week, plus market response to that news when the Form 4s later came out
  • Elon saying in the Ron Baron interview that week, "...many times I've recommended people don't invest in Tesla and I've said our stock is too high, but then people just ignore me and keep buying the stock for some reason" and people misunderstanding what he was intending to communicate
  • A major ramp-up of both the Tesla FUD onslaught and the prevalence of trolls appearing in investment discussion boards such as this one
  • Increasing short interest including possible naked short-selling by market makers
  • Lots of people getting margin calls
Without more information that we'll probably never be able to obtain, it's basically impossible to reach any strong conclusion without speculation. Let's give it more time and see how it plays out. Q4 P&D numbers are just four weeks away.

Last edited:
My read: Elon gave Tim Cook a ride in a Tesla when he visited, and Tim rushed back to the office and declared the Apple Car project dead. Just kill it already. It's a non-starter. Stick to what you know, Tim

Edit: Ninjaed by @wipster during one of his rare non nap times.
Can we also start a rumor that this meeting also convinced Elon to kill the "Tesla Phone" so we don't have to hear about it anymore?

I see this relentless attack on Elon and his companies as part of an extinction burst. Innovators are outsiders to all entrenched organizations (political, industrial, religious, media, etc.). Disrupting the status quo is never an easy task. Look at all the wasted energy and resources being expended to try in vain to keep the landscape from changing! So be it. The people orchestrating this travesty can all go be fruitful and multiply with themselves.

This prolonged manipulation just pisses me off. Normally I would gift some shares at this time of year to charitable organizations. It is looking like I might skip this year for share donation and double up next year. I will give cash. I cannot bear to see the TSLA shares sold at this price.

I am done with the rant for now...
View attachment 882101
Or you could consider donating the shares anyway and then using the cash to buy new shares. At least you'll reduce your future cap gains exposure - that's assuming you have old shares that are more appreciation than basis.
+1 on being fed up with MSM FUD (and antics/mistaken ideas of a certain someone who likes to share on a company-that-shall-not-be-named)

[...thorough response...]
[followed by November drop speculation:]
There is a convenient, emotionally salient explanation for this drop starting November 4th that maybe some people would like to discuss further in the Twitter thread. There are also other possible factors we could identify, like:
  • [...good points...]
I have one more speculation for those margin calls besides being under to offer:
What if the Crypto meltdown is causing large amounts of hyper leveraged investments to be unwound, crypto millionaires and billionaires being undone, most without publicity, unlike FTX. Is there a good source to research the long term impact / fallout on the crypto and finance industry ?

How are rumors of an alleged product that has never been announced or confirmed vaporware?

https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › vaporware

Vaporware Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

va· por· ware ˈvā-pər-ˌwer : a computer-related product that has been widely advertised but has not and may never become available Did you know? The practice of marketing products before they are available for sale is common to many industries, but especially the computer industry, where technological advancement is rapid and competition cutthroat.
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Vaporware

Vaporware - Wikipedia

In the computer industry, vaporware (or vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is late or never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled. Use of the word has broadened to include products such as automobiles.

If you're going to accuse someone of lying, then provide evidence for the allegation. If you have no evidence, then why not give your fellow humans the benefit of the doubt with respect to malice vs. mistakes?

"FIVE-YEAR delay"? The Semi reveal was in Nov 2017 and the original estimated time for initial deliveries was 2019. So that's a three year delay. In between then and now, there have been major unexpected problems including Model 3 Production Hell, COVID, Supply Chain Hell, and surprisingly strong demand for 3 & Y that have sucked up all available resources. I would imagine Tesla has probably been in communication with Semi reservation holders in the meantime explaining the delays.

People challenge Elon's decisions all the time and he openly welcomes it. He is an actual scientist who fully embraces the philosophy of empiricism and striving to become less wrong over time via humility, open-mindedness, and careful observation and data collection. That is one of the main reasons why I'm invested, because that's both extremely important and extremely uncommon amongst senior managers in general in the corporate world. I can't find the video clip anymore, but I remember that Sandy Munro recounted an experience last year with sitting in on a SpaceX design review meeting in which Elon said they should do something and immediately another engineer directly contradicted him like "C'mon Elon, that won't work for XYZ reasons" and Elon was like "Oh, ok, what else have we got?" Sandy said he was shocked to witness that, because no other C-suite executive he'd ever had the displeasure of sitting with in a meeting would've responded positively to being called out like that. In my experience at Boeing and a previous company it was the same. We wasted so much time tiptoeing around executive egos and doing stuff we knew was a dead end because no one could just bluntly tell them why something wouldn't work and actually get anywhere with it. Normally executives are more interested in having subordinates stroking their egos and in maintaining an image of infallibility.

Also, what is your rationale for how a PR department would accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy? That's the only criterion that matters. It seems like Martin Viecha is doing a decent-enough job, so he literally is serving as the ONE PERSON PR department you think we don't have.

Nice guess. Do you have data you can show us to demonstrate how you reached this conclusion?

I just checked and I see that the stock prices of all of the following have hit 1.5 to 2-year lows at some point in Q2 and in Q4, with most hitting extreme lows in the middle of October:
  • Tesla

• S&P 500
  • NASDAQ

• Microsoft
  • Alphabet
  • Amazon
  • TSMC
  • Meta
  • NVIDIA
  • Tencent
  • Samsung
  • Alibaba
  • ASML
  • Broadcom
  • Oracle
  • Cisco
  • Texas Instruments
  • Adobe
  • Tata
  • Netflix
  • Qualcomm
  • Salesforce
  • SAP
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Meituan
  • PinDuoDuo

• Toyota
  • Volkswagen
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • Ford
  • Honda
  • BMW
  • GM
  • Stellantis
  • Hyundai
  • Nissan
  • BYD
  • Kia
  • Renault*
  • Nio
  • Li Auto
  • Great Wall Motors
  • Suzuki*
  • Geely
  • SAIC
  • Changan*
  • Ferrari
  • Rivian
  • Lucid
  • Fisker
*Renault, Suzuki and Changan hit 2-year lows in Q2 but not Q4. Suzuki and Changan did drop in October however, still following the overall group trend.

I see that this list includes (with the exception of Apple and IBM) all of the world's most valued software/electronics companies and all of the world's automotive companies.

It's really quite unfortunate that one man has the power to unleash this much destruction, not only on his own company's stock but also the stocks in his business sectors as well as the entire stock market. Why can't he just be normal? This is all his fault and I'm very angry at him for doing this. /s

It's been a month since I last updated these charts, but they clearly show the tight coupling between TSLA and the S&P 500. The relationship with the NASDAQ looks similar but slightly weaker.

View attachment 882120
View attachment 882121

As shown below, there clearly has been some decoupling in Q4 so far, starting on Oct 3rd, which was the first trading day of Q4 and also the Monday after the "disappointing" P&D numbers came out. To reiterate, the auto and tech sectors in general had really rough Octobers in the stock market, so TSLA was not especially unique.

The real nonsense mainly occurred in the beginning of November, and nothing seems to have pulled TSLA back up since then.

View attachment 882130

• The intensifying China-related fears regarding demand and potential COVID disruptions, in the aftermath of low October wholesale numbers being published, growing numbers of Omicron cases nationwide, new government lockdowns in some areas including Shanghai, and growing social unrest unprecedented in the entire post-Tiananmen Square era
  • Elon selling 20M shares that week, plus market response to that news when the Form 4s later came out
  • Elon saying in the Ron Baron interview that week, "...many times I've recommended people don't invest in Tesla and I've said our stock is too high, but then people just ignore me and keep buying the stock for some reason" and people misunderstanding what he was intending to communicate
  • A major ramp-up of both the Tesla FUD onslaught and the prevalence of trolls appearing in investment discussion boards such as this one
  • Increasing short interest including possible naked short-selling by market makers
Without more information that we'll probably never be able to obtain, it's basically impossible to reach any strong conclusion without speculation. Let's give it more time and see how it plays out. Q4 P&D numbers are just four weeks away.

Thank you for setting the record straight(er). I've been seeing an increasing amount of FUD and negativity here that is not supported by a rational analysis of the evidence.

Oh, wait, it reminds me of TMC in early 2019, right before TSLA went on a tear! - 🤔