Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@The Accountant are you following this account ?

Good thread on mega pack ramp

A line from one of his tweets.
5/...By year-end 2023, TSLA will have deployed ~64 GwH of capacity, equivalent to an ~8x increase in GwH deployments over the TTM period ending 3Q’22, with upwards of $16B in gross profit contribution generated by TSLA existing and unconstrained 16K current MP backlog at Lathrop.

Last edited:
Thanks for quantifying the risk that Elon has to recurrently sell TSLA stock.
I’ve been looking at quantifying the brand damage done by this Twitter thing. We have seen tweets from people selling their Tesla or not buying a Tesla, but that is all anecdotal data.
I think the following may quantify (at least a ballpark figure) the potential loss of sales because of reputation damage: to me it seems like Twitter lost a lot of users to Mastodon. The people I follow on Twitter who were outraged about Elon all created a Mastodon account. Nobody mentioned any other social media, so I’ll assume that Mastodon took the majority of to people desiring to switch. According to this article (More than two million users have flocked to Mastodon since Elon Musk took over Twitter) 2 million users signed up for Mastodon recently. So the upper bound for the number of people switching from Twitter to Mastodon is 2 million. This is about 1% of the Twitter user base.
Now switching to a different social medium has a very low barrier (and a lot of those people didn’t really switch, they’re just checking out Mastodon). Not buying a Tesla is much more drastic way to express your unhappiness and that’s the only thing that may impact Tesla financially. That’s why I think the impact on Tesla sales will be much less than 1%. That’s basically noise.
I’ll probably get a lot of disagrees on this opinion, but if you do disagree, please elaborate your own reason to quantify the impact on Tesla.
2 million users maybe left Twitter. How many joined? It is similar for Tesla. Some percent are no longer customers, how many were gained? Hard to say.

What really makes somebody successful in stock market is long-term compounded return you get on investment. that can usually be accomplished at a much easier level by simple perseverance. Very hard to accomplish it by market Timing. does not mean that market timing does not have a role. It sure does but only a relatively minor degree. Big picture market timing is probably a safer bet than short term market timing. for TSLA in December 2022, it is probably too late to try to game this stock. for me, i am just sitting tight with 100% of my taxable portfolio in January 2025 $150 leaps and 100% of my tax free portfolio in straight TSLA common stock. even if i lose all my money in taxable portfolio and it goes to zero, as long as TSLA gets me 30%+ ARR over next several years i am extremely happy.
Not financial advice. i like leverage and when i am wrong i pay the price, and happy to pay it. i will never ever go on margin or leaps in my tax free portfolio but taxable is fair game. i got rid of margin a few months ago and switched to 100% leaps. in retrospect i never thought TSLA will go below $150 but i was wrong. if TSLA never goes above $150 over next 2 years then i will lose out big but i am well prepared mentally. for me, it is bad to be leveraged on way down and deleverage on way up. i am not about to switch my strategy right at bottom.

Last edited:
3K was not achieved until partway through Q4. Even if they hit that as an average it would be around 2*3k*12wks = 72k
The 84K is what is needed from China in December to hit the 465K production in Q4. That would be further reduced if Fremont production in Q4 is higher than Q3.

I only calculated that Berlin and Texas total is 64,400 for the quarter. Berlin started quarter producing 2000 per week, Texas 1600. Berlin ends the quarter producing 3200 and Texas 3300 per week.

I think we may see some change there. Tesla got a lot of flak for having the semi and CT take so long, and the roadster too... There might be some pressure to not make any promises too far in advance when it comes to future models.
There is zero need for Tesla to pre-announce any new product. The company doesn't desperately need deposits as revenue, and its not like they don't already have a big pipeline of vehicles for the two ramping factories. We are barely even discussing a Texas/Berlin made model 3 yet, but we know it will come.

My guess is that the gap from announcement to delivery of the next vehicle, whether its a smaller car, or a van (or even a bus?*) might be shorter than we are used to.

*Tesla could well be thinking about this. Its not like there is a shortage of a market for it, and if they can make the semi work, they can build a bus. Not sexy, but a great decision in terms of 'the mission', as like semis, buses are in use a LOT.
Like always, the reason for early announcements of new products is 1. strategize your position in future product purchases - get the customer to hold off purchase of competitors products and 2. create buzz/free advertising

People need to stop talking about Osborning the Model 3, as a Model (2) will not be comparable in size, range or price bracket. It will be a very different product.

So it's literally meaningless that ARKK is near a 6-month low. The fact that matters here; any Ark fund that sold when Cathy's detractors told her she was foolish for selling, are a lot better off for having sold.
Noted. But I said 6 YEAR low. Compare that with her largest holding TSLA which is still about 10x over that same timeframe.

So good on her for selling TSLA when she did? Sure, I guess.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Worth reading this in its entirety...though, in particular, the AI / self-driving cars / climate tech sections.

https://nbt.substack.com/p/nextbigthing2023

… in climate tech.

The next big thing in 2023 will be decarbonization being cheap! The combination of compounding technology development curves for clean power and the Inflation Reduction Act's injection of $300B+ in climate funding will make low-carbon technologies cheap faster than anyone expects. This is a big deal, especially now -- as a tight economy forces every company to scrutinize every dollar, they'll rush to carbon solutions that save money.
-Taylor Francis, Co-Founder at Watershed

The next big thing in 2023 will be the consumerization of energy. As we've seen over the course of the last cycle, consumers today are increasingly expecting trust, transparency, personalization, and values alignment across all aspects of their lives. Their standards when it comes to how and where they consume energy are no different. With global energy prices just off of all time highs, increasing economic angst in the face of seemingly unabating inflation, and the introduction of hundreds of billions of available energy related tax rebates thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act, there has, arguably, never been a better time to usher in a new conversation surrounding the intersection of consumer x climate. Moving forward, with accelerating electrification and decentralization, the energy ecosystem of tomorrow is likely to look far more like the Internet -- dependent on real-time data, frictionless interoperability, and consumer choice. I cannot wait :)
-Meera Clark, Principal at Redpoint Ventures

The next big thing in 2023 is a bonanza in climate technology deployment and job creation in the United States, as the financial incentives from the Inflation Reduction Act kick in. Across the market - mobility, manufacturing, industrial production, the built environment, energy generation - decarbonized technologies are now simply better-performing and lower-cost than the fossil-fueled incumbent technologies that they're replacing. This is the the beginning of a new era for foundational decarbonization of the US economy.
-Sierra Peterson, Co-Founder & Managing Partner at Voyager

The next big thing in 2023 will be marketplace forces continuing to accelerate the dent companies and new technologies have on clean, sustainable, energy.
-Lenny Rachitsky, Founder at Lenny’s Newsletter

… self-driving cars.

The next big thing in 2023 will be self-driving cars. I know, I know, you’ve heard this before. But, hear me out: computer vision and machine learning has finally advanced to such an insane level that 100s of fully driverless cars—with no safety driver required—are today concurrently driving amongst humans on the streets of San Francisco. In 2023, this will accelerate to thousands of self-driving cars, deployed across multiple major cities, serving millions of customers and rekindling that Uber-in-2009 vibe, when transportation was last delightful.
-Oliver Cameron, VP Product at Cruise

Like always, the reason for early announcements of new products is 1. strategize your position in future product purchases - get the customer to hold off purchase of competitors products and 2. create buzz/free advertising

People need to stop talking about Osborning the Model 3, as a Model (2) will not be comparable in size, range or price bracket. It will be a very different product.
Disagree. I do believe that the Model 2 will be a smaller car likely a sedan. Introducing the CT and not delivering didnt result in a good deal of people choosing to wait rather than get a Model Y. It isnt as much a leap for someone to choose to get a slightly larger sedan and spend say $10K more than they really wanted to. Introducing the Model 2 could see lots of people say I am perfectly fine and would actually prefer the smaller sedan because of where they live.

Another good read this morning:

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 8.31.37 AM.png

2 million users maybe left Twitter. How many joined? It is similar for Tesla. Some percent are no longer customers, how many were gained? Hard to say.
I agree that it is hard, close to unknowable, to exactly determine how much the current non-vehicle related issues impact buying decisions on a macro level.

However, what about a thought experiment?

Situation 1 - How conceivable is it that an individual with moderately to strongly held sociopolitical beliefs might choose to take their high dollar, environmentally conscious vehicle purchase elsewhere, given that there are other options currently?

I know personally considered maybe not getting a Tesla due to the other "noise". In my case, I just went with a logic based decision and decided to get the best car I could for my money. For me, that ended up being the Y. A car purchase, however, is frequently very emotionally-driven. Further, we have lots of anecdotal (of limited use, granted) evidence of people avoiding the brand due to the "noise" issue, representing possible brand damange.

Situation 2 - Now, on the other side, consider someone who is a fan of the CEO's more recent vocal sociopolitical statements and gestures. Perhaps they are more likely to support the brand, but lets consider that they might not have the climate/environmental motivation to go electric. How likely is it that the CEO's more recent political stances would be THE determining factor to buy a Tesla vehicle? It may nudge them in that direction, but is it likely, right now, to move them out of a big fancy Denali to a Model Y/X? Will they decide to wait for the Cybertruck, for which we do not have a current reliable release date beyond "maybe this year"?

In my opinion, (yes, fully calling attention that this is hard to objectively support), I think that IF there is likely to be a effect on brand reputation and uptake based on the very, very visible CEO's recent stances, then it is much more likely that that is brand reputation damage / decreased sales.

How likely is it that these effects ARE taking place? I don't know, I cannot quantify that. However, it does not seem quite so INCONCEIVABLE that this will be coming into play affecting sales, even if just by a small amount, going forward for the time being.

Now, given all of that (IF the more likely effect is brand damage, AND IF the current behavior is affecting brand), then HOW MUCH of an impact will/could this have? Again, very difficult to quantify.

Given the general level of disengagement in day-to-day politics among the folks, that are, let's say, in the middle 50% of the population, I don't think their decisions will be affected much. IF there is an effect, I think that it might be small, but measurable. Enough to have an impact? I don't know.

The thing is though..... why?

There's a reason that most businesses tend to stay out of hot button issues publicly. There's little upside. You're probably more likely to cause a loss in sales, than make an appreciable gain.

IF the CEO's intention is to truly make an impact on the long term survivability of the human race, it would seem prudent to only take actions that would increase the uptake of their clean ZEVs. Why even BOTHER getting very publicly and visibly engaged on such visceral issues?

Sure, go ahead and fret, personally about the "woke mind virus". Go ahead and take actions in your personal life to fight it, I guess. Start a dark money PAC, whatever. You can have this impact with out the potential of hurting your only consumer facing business.

As an investor, I know I'd rather have a publicly politically neutral leader for a business, rather than one that invites potential downside.