Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 4680 data seems to indicate doubling cell production every 3-months.

If so,

1k cars equivalent per week end Dec-22 (vs Austin+Berlint usage of approx 6k/week), i.e. 17% supply
2k end Mar-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 15k), i.e. 13% supply
4k end Jun-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 24k), i.e. 17% supply
8k end Sep-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 39k), i.e. 20% supply
16k end Dec-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 48k) with this excluding any CT usage, i.e. 33% supply

Naturally this is two exponentials in a parallel race !

It is of course a much better position to be in than an automaker with no internal supply.

(edited to replace Fremont with Berlin, my oops)
Just a little flavor to add to this.

This is 2 overlapping factory ramps combined: Fremont and Austin. Plus Fremont just added 4x additional floor space which should allow them to continue expansion there.

This should give us enough capacity for the Cybertruck ramp up and beyond.

That's the X million dollar question, isn't it?
(A) produced by the taxpayer, and
(B) during the taxable year, sold by such taxpayer to an unrelated person
When sold.
However:
(c) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to components produced and sold after December 31, 2022.
So, only stuff made after this year, thus a reason to drag heels a little. (Including stockpiling cells to make into modules)

Edit for context

CGS really changed over the last few months. He went from what seemed to be a nice guy helping others for the sake of helping people to being attacked on YouTube, turned sour, made a post last weeks how we was the only one who 20x on his TSLA short position and that he was wrong and naysayers were stupid then saying Xmas sucks.

Really weird Uturn
Good for him I guess? Social media... you get what you sow?

Its a tricky place for the 4680 production right now - they are being used in the off-menu AWD SR Model Y out of Austin (the model Sandy Munro has already done a tear down of months ago), which looks like it gets done in batches in Austin when they have stockpiled enough packs (and then switch the line temporarily from 2170 LR Y production).

I have had Western clients & friends & colleagues with factories in China that after a decade found their tech cloned, and the orders dried up. We are definitely not talking the normal operation of market economies. Multiple industries. And the competitors were all either fully or partially state-owned (a variety of arrangements). These were in various forms of energy & transportation. Some kept their factories going (just about), others closed up in China and left (pursued by the competition they had 'enabled') I'm talking factories ranging from 20-people to 2,000-people; and everything from small family firms to multinational corporations. I've visited some of the remaining sites, and for that matter some of the clones.

So yes it does happen.

It is a rough game in China. The same thing happens to some of the local businesses. The same stuff happens in many countries, but (outside of the extractive industries) not normally to the same extent.
That is the difference in the way IP is regarded, and the results are what you have found. It is actually normal over there. They think about IP completely differently from the west. The only way survive in China as a foreigner is to have a product that is sufficiently complicated that they cannot copy it. That is just the facts of the way business is in China, especially Shenzen. You could get product rapid prototyped in a day where it would take months in the west. You can look at the production of bicycles, its like text book should be taught in schools the folly of the way the west thinks. The west has priced themselves out of their own production lmao. And the fancy names in cycling charge 200x what their China produced products costs so it's like a give and take but eventually it turns to take, and that's just the way it is.

I wish you were having a better Christmas Day that you didn't feel the need to wake up and propagate more misleading statements. Elon clearly said he thinks most likely a moderate recession, but he knows that future economic projections are impossible to predict with any certainty.

Finding only a lump of coal in your stocking does not change anything significantly.
Ad hominem

Just a little flavor to add to this.

This is 2 overlapping factory ramps combined: Fremont and Austin. Plus Fremont just added 4x additional floor space which should allow them to continue expansion there.

This should give us enough capacity for the Cybertruck ramp up and beyond.
There will - imho - come a point during 2023 where they will clone & replicate a third 4680 team at Berlin, as well as the ones currently at Austin and Fremont. Precisely when & where in the qualitative improvement journey and the quantitative machinery journey I am unsure. Mid 2023 and DBE stability perhaps ?

That is the difference in the way IP is regarded, and the results are what you have found. It is actually normal over there. They think about IP completely differently from the west. The only way survive in China as a foreigner is to have a product that is sufficiently complicated that they cannot copy it. That is just the facts of the way business is in China, especially Shenzen. You could get product rapid prototyped in a day where it would take months in the west. You can look at the production of bicycles, its like text book should be taught in schools the folly of the way the west thinks. The west has priced themselves out of their own production lmao. And the fancy names in cycling charge 200x what their China produced products costs so it's like a give and take but eventually it turns to take, and that's just the way it is.

I fully agree. And this in my opinion is why 4680 production will be slow to be introduced to China.

Yep I didn’t know if to celebrate or cry but it is what it is right now. If they want 50k semi run rate in 2024 they need to increase 4680 by an order of magnitude by then as the semi will consume all of Reno.

If you don't want Tesla to disrupt multiple industries with the high volumes and low costs of their 4680 cells, then you should probably cry. Because ramping this quickly indicates they haven't hit any unsolvable obstacles yet and the growth of cell production continues unabated. The more quickly they can ramp volumes, the less each cell will cost and the faster the disruption will occur.

About the beginning of May of this year Tesla bragged it had built it's millionth 4680 cell and now, only 8 months later, they are making 3.8 million per month and growing! Even CATL has announced plans to build factories on various continents to produce cells in the 4680 form factor developed by Tesla.

It looks to me like, in the middle of the last decade, Tesla asked Panasonic to develop a larger, more efficient cell for the Model 3 production and the result was the ground-breaking 2170 cell first used in the Model 3. But Tesla felt Panasonic was not willing to push the boundaries of what was possible far enough, maybe Panasonic felt it would be too risky to deviate too much from the 18650 form factor that had been around for nearly 30 years. The 4680 form factor Tesla developed on their own is the first time in automotive history, an automaker had introduced a new cell standard, not a battery manufacturer. And I find it notable that the worlds largest battery manufacturer, CATL, didn't waste much time to jump on the 4680 bandwagon with announcements that they will also be building cells to this standard developed by Tesla. The media didn't pick up on, or highlight, just how notable it was for a car maker to be at the forefront of the battery industry by introducing entirely new cell form factors, a job usually performed by leading battery manufacturers.

It looks like Tesla's 4680 cell standard has a long and prosperous life ahead of it. The Semi is using 2170 cells. If you are so inclined, you may cry now.

Yep I didn’t know if to celebrate or cry but it is what it is right now. If they want 50k semi run rate in 2024 they need to increase 4680 by an order of magnitude by then as the semi will consume all of Reno.

If you don't want Tesla to disrupt multiple industries with the high volumes and low costs of their 4680 cells, then you should probably cry. Because ramping this quickly indicates they haven't hit any unsolvable obstacles yet and the growth of cell production continues unabated. The more quickly they can ramp volumes, the less each cell will cost and the faster the disruption will occur.

About the beginning of May of this year Tesla bragged it had built it's millionth 4680 cell and now, only 8 months later, they are making 3.8 million per month and growing! Even CATL has announced plans to build factories on various continents to produce cells in the 4680 form factor developed by Tesla.

It looks to me like, in the middle of the last decade, Tesla asked Panasonic to develop a larger, more efficient cell for the Model 3 production and the result was the ground-breaking 2170 cell first used in the Model 3. But Tesla felt Panasonic was not willing to push the boundaries of what was possible far enough, maybe Panasonic felt it would be too risky to deviate too much from the 18650 form factor that had been around for nearly 30 years. The 4680 form factor Tesla developed on their own is the first time in automotive history, an automaker had introduced a new cell standard, not a battery manufacturer. And I find it notable that the worlds largest battery manufacturer, CATL, didn't waste much time to jump on the 4680 bandwagon with announcements that they will also be building cells to this standard developed by Tesla. The media didn't pick up on, or highlight, just how notable it was for a car maker to be at the forefront of the battery industry by introducing entirely new cell form factors, a job usually performed by leading battery manufacturers.

It looks like Tesla's 4680 cell standard has a long and prosperous life ahead of it. The Semi is using 2170 cells. If you are so inclined, you may cry now.

I counted $9M annual savings for Santa to finally make the switch to EVs. The EV standard in the study was a Model S, however this wouldn't take advantage of the future volume needs being met by Semi as this is written.

If Santa worked with a fleet of Semi's and a mix of short/long range Tesla on FSDeer, They could easily quadruple their savings. I think the Santa Shop should put in for a round of funding - the ROI is so obvious, maybe a 10 bagger long term.

(The comment at bottom... lol, someone actually believes flying reindeer are real. So cut
1672005265049.jpeg

I thought rolling blackouts were a California thing.

I thought Texas not being prepared for winter was a too far south thing.

Tennessee (where I am) isn't California and is noticeably further north than Texas. We are used to cold weather here.

When I went to bed last night it was 3 degrees outside. Before I got out of bed this morning we had a rolling black out around 4-6am (I just rolled over and half slept through all my UPSs beeping for about 30 minutes), a second rolling blackout around 8am (again I rolled over and half slept through all my UPSs beeping for about 30 minutes), I had breakfast and lunch and then we got another rolling blackout around 3pm (by then it was about 20 degrees outside).

I've been waiting to get Tesla solar PV + Powerwall for a long time. I thought I wanted it for random storm outages that last 3 minutes. Little did I know I'd be wanting it for rolling blackouts that happen multiple times a day leaving me without power for more than an hour (never more than 40 minutes in a chunk, but between 1 and 2 hours so far today in total blackouts).

View attachment 888669

Let me tell you, if Tesla can expand to 40+ states (at least the 40 most populated) they really do have nearly unlimited demand.

After what I saw today I'm so ready to order, if the site would take it my CC number would be in there...

even the smallest system 4.8kW and 1 powerwall would change this day dramatically. The estimator says 15 hours on one powerwall in the winter. Well I only need a couple of hours on the powerall to live through rolling blackouts.

oh and another surprise, they changed the ordering page for Solar PV again. You can now size your system in 400 Watt increments (0.4 kW) that are $804 each (pre tax credits). Mininum size 4.8 kW, max size 24 kw. So the old ~4kW buckets are gone. Build your desired spec now.

View attachment 888675

This review claims

"Tesla Solar Panels
We found it to be the most available provider, serving all 50 states."

But obviously I can't order them (and I've been checking several times a year every year). Anyone have an accurate list of states Tesla will take an order in?

Is this one of those things you can order in Nashville but not Knoxville, or is Tennessee a big No soup for you?

Anyone want to guess what year or decade I would be able to order?

Last edited:
People keep blathering this “no one else can lower prices” line. Dream on.

So here we are staring a recession in the face and Tesla profits are going to come from govt subsidies and real battery factories come online in 2023. I can see price reduction all the way from my chilly seat.

You think Tesla can withstand a price war in China better than byd? Huh
Yes. BYD doesn't make any real profits on their EVs. If they had say 10 or 20% margins, they would tell everyone.

This is an interesting video showing the historical market trends for six month downturns like we have seen over the past six months:

Looking back over the past 100 years, historically after six month downwards like we've just had, the market reverses and goes back up about NOW. Three times over the past 100 years this six month gradual downturn has signaled the starting point of an even MORE severe crash (1928, 1940, and 2001).

So the crux is we are now at a make or break point for the market historically. We will either begin to rally up from here OR start a much steeper and very sudden crash to a much lower bottom, which after a few months would instantly reverse and rally straight up like a rocketship.

In other words, looking back over 100 years of data, we are close to bottom now. And, statistically speaking we are nearly AT the bottom, but if we drop further it will be abrupt, violent, deep, and then a few months later hit bottom and blast upwards like a geyser.

We are close now, I think.

On that note, Merry Christmas everyone!!! :D 🌲
We typically don't have a FED trying to create a recession at this point though. I'm going to add some crash/yolo puts on the major indexes.