Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your argument is no more correlation than mine. And while correlation doesn’t prove causation, it is a first and necessary step and does not disprove causation.

Also, we don’t know how much prices would need to have been reduced in advance of the tax credit start. Also, we didn’t know that they would need to kick in free supercharging also.
The reduction seems inline, actually better than expected. Remember the demand cliff Jan 1 2019 when tax credit disappeared and Tesla had to push sales by reducing prices(way below today's prices) by 2k AND production was 1/4th of today? Remember all the Musk's political tweet Jan of 2019?

Good and welcome news.

If the total 4680 production is at 1,000 cars/week that ought to be compared to Austin and Berlin each being at approximately 3,000 cars/week.

Ideally we would have 6x production of the 4680 cells by now. Ideally.

The story of 2022 overall is that LFP cells have been the real enabler for increased Tesla vehicle production.

The ramp rate for 4680 production will need to substantially improve if Austin & Fremont are to be able to access the full US-IRA subsidy, and that is assuming that all the 4680 machinery is prioritised for delivery to USA, and that Germany makes do with LFP for growth.

The Semi will also mop up a fair amount of cells during 2023.

There is a lot of ground to cover such that cell production does not hamper CyberTruck introduction later in 2023. That is supposed to be a high volume product, and each one will be a big cell consumer, especially the launch variants.

It is still all about the cells.
Yep I didn’t know if to celebrate or cry but it is what it is right now. If they want 50k semi run rate in 2024 they need to increase 4680 by an order of magnitude by then as the semi will consume all of Reno.

Yep I didn’t know if to celebrate or cry but it is what it is right now. If they want 50k semi run rate in 2024 they need to increase 4680 by an order of magnitude by then as the semi will consume all of Reno.
The first part of an S curve is flat.

The second is a mild ramp.

Then it goes vertical.

Edit: I’m unfamiliar with this person but their chart seems to have forcasted well:

Last edited:
Good and welcome news.

If the total 4680 production is at 1,000 cars/week that ought to be compared to Austin and Berlin each being at approximately 3,000 cars/week.

The story of 2022 overall is that LFP cells have been the real enabler for increased Tesla vehicle production.

The ramp rate for 4680 production will need to substantially improve if Austin & Fremont are to be able to access the full US-IRA subsidy, and that is assuming that all the 4680 machinery is prioritised for delivery to USA, and that Germany makes do with LFP for growth.

The Semi will also mop up a fair amount of cells during 2023.

There is a lot of ground to cover such that cell production does not hamper CyberTruck introduction later in 2023. That is supposed to be a high volume product, and each one will be a big cell consumer, especially the launch variants.

It is still all about the cells.
I think that this might just be Fremont 4680 production.

They are stockpiling 4680 packs at Austin, my guess is that they will eventually switch to 4680 Model Ys once Austin is ramped and the cathode plant is complete.

They are expanding Fremont 4680 production with a new building 4X the size of the old building. I expect the existing line to remain, but new lines to be added.

One day all of the angst about 4680 production will seem just as foolish as the angst about Chinese demand.

If the cathode plant is complete and Austin 4680 production is minimal then thst would be a bad sign. We will know for sure by June 2023.

While they can technically go bankrupt, GM is still around because of bailouts when they should have just been left to disappear.
Ahe -- Bankrupt != out of business.

Legacy auto to varying degrees is at risk of bankruptcy. However once shareholders are wiped out, pension obligations are shuffled off to somebody else, and the financials are otherwise improved by ditching liabilities in bankruptcy court, then there is still a big enough employer with enough assets to continue operating once new investors are found. The new investor might be the government if private parties aren't ready to capitalize the residue, but somebody will.

I wonder what the runrate will be at the end of 2023?

Guessing 10M/week worldwide
That sounds like a lot at first look. But that’s just 10,000 cars a week/half a million a year. Maybe I’m foolish but I was expecting 2-3x that by the end of 2023 no?

I guess 2-3x that is a difference of 20x-30x vs 10x so even if it’s only 10 mill a week be years end doubling or tripling from there wouldn’t be a huge leap

Berlin isn't making/ using 4680s yet.
Austin can build nonstructural 2170 Ys.
As long as Tesla has sufficient supply of cells, it's all good.
Plus, once IRA hits in 2023, Tesla gets $35/kWh on its cells and $10 on modules, which could be a reason to temper production now.

I think that this might just be Fremont 4680 production.
Second picture's column location F13 maps to Austin.

One thing overlooked in forecasting EV sales, including Tesla will be gas prices throughout 2023.

I believe high oil prices in 2022 accelerated EV adoption.

A recession or end of Ukraine war could spark a sharp decline in oil prices and potential EV buyers becoming complacent with sticking with their ICE vehicles.
This is at least partly correct, but I think at this point EV demand is established and increasing. More and more people want EVs, it’s just a matter of affording them.

The high oil prices just makes demand more price inelastic. When oil prices are very high, the premium they are willing to pay is much higher than when oil prices are low. They still want EVs, but it’s much harder to justify.

But the IRA rebates should offset this significantly. Model 3 base price is effectively lowering by $3,750. Model Y by $7,500 (or more if they re-introduce the Model Y AWD or an SR model).

… It’s a non zero effect. Perhaps negligible but perhaps substantial. …

… But we don’t know how much prices would have needed to be lowered in the United States if Elon didn’t act like this. …

Also, we don’t know how much prices would need to have been reduced in advance of the tax credit start. Also, we didn’t know that they would need to kick in free supercharging also.
If, as you claim, we don't know.. why keep posting about it?

Berlin isn't making/ using 4680s yet.
Austin can build nonstructural 2170 Ys.
As long as Tesla has sufficient supply of cells, it's all good.
Plus, once IRA hits in 2023, Tesla gets $35/kWh on its cells and $10 on modules, which could be a reason to temper production now.

Second picture's column location F13 maps to Austin.
It is rare for this kind of picture to be about multiple factories, it is normally production at a single factory.

People make purchasing decisions based on many factors. Price is one and emotions are another. There are others also. All that affects demand and pricing. So just because tesla can spur sales with reduced prices doesn’t mean that is neither here nor there.

Are you saying it does mean that is neither here nor there? 🤪

Pricing is, by far, the most fundamental thing that affects demand. Consumers look at what they can get for their hard-earned money so the price overrides other factors by a large margin. It's well understood in the auto industry how sensitive sales are to price. The same cannot be said about what opinions the CEO who runs the car company has - most people don't care what other people think, especially when it comes to getting the best car for their money.

I was surprised to see Tesla follow up the $3750 discount with another $3750 discount but look at the dramatic effect it had! I chalk this up to the fact that Elon knew the inventory levels were not nearly as large as many media sources were implying and that it wouldn't cost much to make a point (by selling out within a few days of the additional $3750 discount). And I think it worked and was a smart move that cost very little in the bigger picture and it finishes off the year with Tesla in short supply.

To fantasize that if only Elon had been a good little boy, like most other corporate CEOs, that Tesla would have finished off the year with the usual minimal end of year inventory, even in the face of the looming 2023 tax incentives, rising auto loan rates, and falling stock market values, is a fantasy too far for this investor to even dream of, even on a Christmas morning.

For the purposes of the IRA, wouldn't this put them at ~760Mwh of batteries a month right now? Seems like 4680 is hitting its steep part of the curve right as the US Gov is going to start handing them checks. Bodes well for Austin if it's the 2.0 version.

I do wonder if they are going to start shipping a lower range/less costly Model Y out of Austin using 4680, hopefully a single motor derivative. Otherwise they are going to be swimming in batteries.

The 4680 data seems to indicate doubling cell production every 3-months.

If so,

1k cars equivalent per week end Dec-22 (vs Austin+Berlint usage of approx 6k/week), i.e. 17% supply
2k end Mar-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 15k), i.e. 13% supply
4k end Jun-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 24k), i.e. 17% supply
8k end Sep-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 39k), i.e. 20% supply
16k end Dec-23 (vs A+B usage of approx 48k) with this excluding any CT usage, i.e. 33% supply

Naturally this is two exponentials in a parallel race !

It is of course a much better position to be in than an automaker with no internal supply.

(edited to replace Fremont with Berlin, my oops)

It is rare for this kind of picture to be about multiple factories, it is normally production at a single factory.
Sure...
But this is about cell production which is occurring at more than one place.
This doesn't look like Kato (and why have two pics of the same place?)
SmartSelect_20221225_152359_Firefox.jpg