Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep seeing this meme that Tesla Energy is going to save the day, the year, the decade. Not just from you but all over the place. Especially here on TMC. However much I might wish that to be the case (and as a shareholder I would like it to be so) the actual facts do not support the hopium on offer.

So sorry if this seems like a snippy response to your post, really it is a response to all energy hopium posters.

1. Tesla solar is pants. It is not even a rounding error on global solar sales. It shows no signs of changing nor do I expect it to in this decade, if ever. Approx 315 GW of global solar was installed in 2022, and Tesla will have done barely 0.3 GW of that. Can you say 0.1% very slowly ?

2. Tesla wind is worse. It is to be precise zero. So of the 110-120 GW of wind installed globally in 2022 there is nil attributable to Tesla. Yes, that is 0%. Nada, zilch, rien.

3. The evidence I see suggests that Tesla Energy is slipping in the storage space. In domestic storage it is not even on the leader board for most of the world, excepting USA. In utility storage it has no penetration in China, is market leader in USA, and RoW is very murky but with plenty of non-Tesla wins.

4. For the next several years the vast bulk of the cells going into the storage market will be LFP. That is good, the characteristics of LFP make it a good match for storage. Remind me again how much LFP Tesla makes. Yes, zero. Tesla does not have a competitive advantage in LFP manufacture. The people who do make LFP such as BYD, CATL sell to everyone in the storage market, including themselves for packaging into client-ready cabinets. So the people who are most vertically integrated in this area are BYD et al, not Tesla.

5. Putting LFP into a 4680 form-factor does not seem to be an attractive or high-priority thing for the next few years, if ever. Prismatic LFP is plenty good enough for storage. Load-bearing prismatic LFP seems to be attractive in auto as well, but that's not that relevant in storage (except double-wrapping becomes unnecessary). So by the time that 4680 form-factor reaches LFP (if ever) then there is no reason to think that Tesla will have any particular magic sauce to add.

6. The biggest other cost in storage is the bi-directional power electronics, i.e. the inverter-charger. The vast majority of these in the world are made in China. The Tesla inverters are good, but they are not a game-changer. Again, the vertical integration is better in China than in Tesla, or anybody else in USA or Europe/etc for that matter.

7. The actual products coming out of China increasingly look generic, whether they are at domestic scale or utility scale. This is because there is increasing convergence on a dominant design for each segment's core-product. (The intermediate scale, aka Powerpack, for the commercial segment, looks to be an evolutionary dead end). Now I don't think we are quite at a fully generic dominant design quite yet, but we are getting close. Especially in the domestic market where I increasingly need to check the logo before I can figure out who is actually making/selling product coming out of China. This means that huge numbers of companies who you've never heard of are suddenly making LFP domestic plug'n'play product that is remarkably good quality, fully specced, absolutely functional, low priced, and is really a good deal with not much 'pray' required. That is also increasingly the case in the utility market as well. Take a look at this link and you'll see one (of many) wins of yet another fairly unknown utility-scale supplier of containerised storage by the half-GW, with not a Tesla logo in sight.

8. There is no logistics or cost advantage to Tesla in making this stuff in the USA, whatever the belief system one ascribes to. Roughly speaking one container-load of stuff disappears into one door of a factory and one container of product comes out the other door of the factory. Pretty much that is how it is both by weight and by volume. Irrespective of whether it is a domestic-scale product or a utility-scale product. The two big lumps that go in are the LFP and power electronics; labour and dumb steel get added; software gets loaded; testing happens; and a finished product comes out ready for mass-shipment. The tightest logistics integration comes from doing all this in China. Any claims that somehow doing all this in the USA lead to a better manufacturing/logistics supply chain are plain baloney. That is precisely why storage competitors of Tesla are out there around the world offering more product now than Tesla, even when Tesla's ramp is constrained by chip and cell supply shortages. Believe me, I have some on order from a competitor - the Tesla product is not available, not certified, does not integrate well with the rest of my system(s), and is in any case twice the price for no corresponding gain in functionality.

9. And last time I checked Chinese workforce were a darn sight cheaper than a US workforce, highly motivated, and very productive. In fact there is a Tesla plant or two in Shanghai that prove this (auto, and supercharger) and Shanghai is probably the most expensive place to make stuff in China. The only advantage the USA (and by extension, Tesla-USA) has is a cost one driven by a taxpayer subsidy called the US-IRA and various tariff and non-tariff barriers (whatever happened to free trade ?). That does not seem like a sustainable competitive advantage to me.

10. I've yet to see any evidence of a Tesla software advantage in this sector vs peer competitors. Yes there are advantages vs non-peer competitors, but not vs peer competitors. Want a utility-scale VPP or a trading/operating/metering platform, buy Kraken. Want to integrate with your car and your solar, buy Zappi. Or many other products. The (domestic-level) problem in the software area is not a lack of offerings, or the lack of standards, it is a lack (until now) of a dominant design that allowed this problem-set to be cleaved, and the desire by vendors for lock-in in the scaling wars. My personal guess is that the emergence of dominant designs will soon create the conditions that allow this to be solved. Yes Tesla is a nice little Apple-style walled garden, but don't mistake it for the only game in town. And whilst sometimes walled gardens are very productive Apple-style enterprises, more often they are a fast road to ruin - Yahoo, AOL, DoCoMo, are just some that tried and failed.

11. Look at the actual numbers.

a) If you think that Tesla Energy is going to grow to become 50% of Tesla Incs revenue then either the rest of Inc is going to have an epic fail, or I have to ask how many decades are you looking ahead - best I can figure out is 40% by 2030 with a lot of favourable winds to reach Tesla's own target:

View attachment 891832

b) Ditto profits, well only 37%,
View attachment 891833

c) Ditto cell usage, max 50/50 by 2030:
View attachment 891834

12) So overall if Tesla Energy is going to have a crack at world domination in storage it will need to scale much faster than it has been doing; to recognise that the competition is in fact here; and to spread its plants globally like now, and especially into China and Europe. If it is not careful it will enter the death spiral of Tesla solar and be globally irrelevant.

13) No more hopium please.
this. I’m looking into FIY Solar and storage and you can get 5kWH server rack battery systems from China with shipping included for under $2000 vs the Powerwall is $12,000 for 11.5kWH. From reputable companies many in DIY community go to, and you can even pay for third party inspections to verify stats prior to shipping too.

China competition for tesla in energy is huge. However, I do think tesla is transitioning to an lfp Powerwall. But yah, the software advantages are mitigated because it’s not as emotional as a car purchase.

So much talk about lanthrop. It’s great and mega packs will do well, but it’s ramping and it won’t have the margins or financial impact we want for near term.

I still think tesla energy is huge because much of the world will be as protectionist against China as possible (hence Enphase success and potential), but it’s not a silver bullet.

Last edited:
This:

1672767899679.png

The somewhat ironic thing here is Tesla is likely to drop a lower priced Model Y into the lineup as a response.

A Model Y selling for (effectively) $47,500 is pretty much they last thing the auto industry wants right now. That puts massive downward pressure on all of the other makers. Who is buying a LYRIQ for $65k when it sucks road tripping and you can get a Model Y for $20k less?
Part of the purpose of the IRA is to do just that. IRA doesnt inflation adjust the price of cars getting IRA because one of its goals is to bring EV prices down to drive adoption.

Replying to this in a separate message so the content doesn't get lost, or missed by some:

It's really NOT like just buying the shares. Excercising stock options creates new shares from Tesla, which is NOT the same as competing in the open market for the same number of existing shares. Remember supply'n'demand? It still applies, even though MMs have certain exemptions in their favor.

If Elon was simply to buy 302M shares on the open market, the SP would spike, the SEC would halt trading, and then likely try to sue him for something or other.

Alternatively, if Elon wanted to drive the SP down to any arbitrary number of his choosing, he can do that too simply by selling at a faster pace than the market will bare. As Uncle Jack wrote those many years ago in his "dead whistleblower" blog post:

"One man has them totally surrounded, outnumbered, and outgunned. Elon Musk.”
From an Elon fiscal/ external result point of view, buying at 23.34 is the same as exercising options with 23.34 basis. But sure, if done on the open market, buying 304M shares in one go would have a stock price impact.

However, if gain of control of company was the goal, wouldn't he want to reduce his dilution by not creating 10% new shares?
This scenario doesn't even need the CEO plan. Elon and Tesla can always have a direct sale of shares outside of the market. They have done it before.
SEC FORM 4

Reactions: ShareLofty
With my last dry powder I could buy 550 more at $100 or 916 more at $60…….

Genuine dilemma. Any (not) advice?

Yeah same here. I could buy 900 or more at these prices. 😩

I might have some funds incoming soon so I have been thinking about this too. And created a new thread to save the main thread a bit of traffic:

The Art of Nibbling

Not sure if this has been posted here yet but looks like we're getting a bit of insight into Tesla's raw materials procurement

This seems especially pertinent as it's a domestic source of lithium coming out of Quebec, presumably to be used in vehicles aiming to qualify for the IRA incentives

Thank you for making a sensible post with relevant data. This forum badly needs multiple doses of reality per day. We now have bulls either being intentionally deceptive or delusional with all the stuff I'm reading.

Tesla's new Megafactory in Lantrop, CA is real and is ramping production right now. Tesla just released a new video tour in the past week, and said the facility is capable of building 10,000 megapacks per year. At $2.6M each, that's $26 B in annual revenue from just this one plant. Gross margins should be over 40%. How's that business compared to Auto? How seasonal is demand for Utility-scale infrastructure? How price-inelastic is demand for this product?

And Tesla wants to build at least 2 more Megafactories, including one at Giga Berlin (yes, that's an announcement from Tesla too). The 3rd one might be in Eastern N. America.

sold every other stock I have, and rage bought TSLA.
had to play some defense and get out of LEAPS in my personal.(for a loss and before margin mgmt gets out of hand) (+last week I went to leaps hoping for a stellar quarter ...)

Now I am confused as to whether to play offense or defense .. ;) buy more shares or keep dry powder ... looks like $100 stop losses will come into play (hope not)
Need to decide soon ... will see late afternoon ...

CPI next Wed jan 12th ...

Last edited:
Well I just bought a bunch and did like @[B][SIZE=5]Artful Dodger suggested[/SIZE][/B] for today; 25% today and I’ll DCA the rest of my dry powder over the rest of the month (because stop losing triggering and all that other crazy stuff happening, yep).
I think by 2030, I will indeed be very happy. 😊
You followed Dodger's advice! How long have you been on this forum? :)

Tesla's new Megafactory in Lantrop, CA is real and is ramping production right now. Tesla just released a new video tour in the past week, and said the facility is capable of building 10,000 megapacks per year. At $2.6M each, that's $26 B in annual revenue from just this one plant. Gross margins should be over 40%. How's that business compared to Auto? How seasonal is demand for Utility-scale infrastructure? How price-inelastic is demand for this product?

And Tesla wants to build at least 2 more Megafactories, including one at Giga Berlin (yes, that's an announcement from Tesla too). The 3rd one might be in Eastern N. America.
$2.6 million is single unit pricing of 2 hour unit with installation.
Bulk MP were sub $2M ($1.8M 4hr, $1.9M, 2hr) before Tesla removed pricing from the configurator.
Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

So WS (and some of us) keep being disappointed by P&D numbers almost *every single quarter* despite exponentially increasing figures. What I can’t get my head around is that if all P&D numbers were «shifted» 1Q, wouldn’t everyone think that all of these quarters were in fact stellar? (Like, if Q4’22 P&D numbers were delivered Q3, Q3’22 numbers were delivered Q2 and so on.) Doesn’t that just mean that Tesla delivers stellar numbers three months late? And if it is so, what’s the big deal? Or is the «low» growth rate that causes the big disappointment every quarter, ~45% YOY instead of ~50% YOY? I’m confused! 😅

As badly beaten as it is, I have a hard time seeing a V-shaped recovery in TSLA unless one or more of the following materializes: surprises to the downside in inflation, a surprise Fed pause, market-wide earnings surprise to the upside or stay strong (or other signs that a recession is not materializing coupled with disinflation/deflation), or Tesla's margins stay strong or surprise to the upside.

Last edited:
I keep seeing this meme that Tesla Energy is going to save the day, the year, the decade. Not just from you but all over the place. Especially here on TMC. However much I might wish that to be the case (and as a shareholder I would like it to be so) the actual facts do not support the hopium on offer.

So sorry if this seems like a snippy response to your post, really it is a response to all energy hopium posters.

1. Tesla solar is pants. It is not even a rounding error on global solar sales. It shows no signs of changing nor do I expect it to in this decade, if ever. Approx 315 GW of global solar was installed in 2022, and Tesla will have done barely 0.3 GW of that. Can you say 0.1% very slowly ?

2. Tesla wind is worse. It is to be precise zero. So of the 110-120 GW of wind installed globally in 2022 there is nil attributable to Tesla. Yes, that is 0%. Nada, zilch, rien.

3. The evidence I see suggests that Tesla Energy is slipping in the storage space. In domestic storage it is not even on the leader board for most of the world, excepting USA. In utility storage it has no penetration in China, is market leader in USA, and RoW is very murky but with plenty of non-Tesla wins.

4. For the next several years the vast bulk of the cells going into the storage market will be LFP. That is good, the characteristics of LFP make it a good match for storage. Remind me again how much LFP Tesla makes. Yes, zero. Tesla does not have a competitive advantage in LFP manufacture. The people who do make LFP such as BYD, CATL sell to everyone in the storage market, including themselves for packaging into client-ready cabinets. So the people who are most vertically integrated in this area are BYD et al, not Tesla.

5. Putting LFP into a 4680 form-factor does not seem to be an attractive or high-priority thing for the next few years, if ever. Prismatic LFP is plenty good enough for storage. Load-bearing prismatic LFP seems to be attractive in auto as well, but that's not that relevant in storage (except double-wrapping becomes unnecessary). So by the time that 4680 form-factor reaches LFP (if ever) then there is no reason to think that Tesla will have any particular magic sauce to add.

6. The biggest other cost in storage is the bi-directional power electronics, i.e. the inverter-charger. The vast majority of these in the world are made in China. The Tesla inverters are good, but they are not a game-changer. Again, the vertical integration is better in China than in Tesla, or anybody else in USA or Europe/etc for that matter.

7. The actual products coming out of China increasingly look generic, whether they are at domestic scale or utility scale. This is because there is increasing convergence on a dominant design for each segment's core-product. (The intermediate scale, aka Powerpack, for the commercial segment, looks to be an evolutionary dead end). Now I don't think we are quite at a fully generic dominant design quite yet, but we are getting close. Especially in the domestic market where I increasingly need to check the logo before I can figure out who is actually making/selling product coming out of China. This means that huge numbers of companies who you've never heard of are suddenly making LFP domestic plug'n'play product that is remarkably good quality, fully specced, absolutely functional, low priced, and is really a good deal with not much 'pray' required. That is also increasingly the case in the utility market as well. Take a look at this link and you'll see one (of many) wins of yet another fairly unknown utility-scale supplier of containerised storage by the half-GW, with not a Tesla logo in sight.

8. There is no logistics or cost advantage to Tesla in making this stuff in the USA, whatever the belief system one ascribes to. Roughly speaking one container-load of stuff disappears into one door of a factory and one container of product comes out the other door of the factory. Pretty much that is how it is both by weight and by volume. Irrespective of whether it is a domestic-scale product or a utility-scale product. The two big lumps that go in are the LFP and power electronics; labour and dumb steel get added; software gets loaded; testing happens; and a finished product comes out ready for mass-shipment. The tightest logistics integration comes from doing all this in China. Any claims that somehow doing all this in the USA lead to a better manufacturing/logistics supply chain are plain baloney. That is precisely why storage competitors of Tesla are out there around the world offering more product now than Tesla, even when Tesla's ramp is constrained by chip and cell supply shortages. Believe me, I have some on order from a competitor - the Tesla product is not available, not certified, does not integrate well with the rest of my system(s), and is in any case twice the price for no corresponding gain in functionality.

9. And last time I checked Chinese workforce were a darn sight cheaper than a US workforce, highly motivated, and very productive. In fact there is a Tesla plant or two in Shanghai that prove this (auto, and supercharger) and Shanghai is probably the most expensive place to make stuff in China. The only advantage the USA (and by extension, Tesla-USA) has is a cost one driven by a taxpayer subsidy called the US-IRA and various tariff and non-tariff barriers (whatever happened to free trade ?). That does not seem like a sustainable competitive advantage to me.

10. I've yet to see any evidence of a Tesla software advantage in this sector vs peer competitors. Yes there are advantages vs non-peer competitors, but not vs peer competitors. Want a utility-scale VPP or a trading/operating/metering platform, buy Kraken. Want to integrate with your car and your solar, buy Zappi. Or many other products. The (domestic-level) problem in the software area is not a lack of offerings, or the lack of standards, it is a lack (until now) of a dominant design that allowed this problem-set to be cleaved, and the desire by vendors for lock-in in the scaling wars. My personal guess is that the emergence of dominant designs will soon create the conditions that allow this to be solved. Yes Tesla is a nice little Apple-style walled garden, but don't mistake it for the only game in town. And whilst sometimes walled gardens are very productive Apple-style enterprises, more often they are a fast road to ruin - Yahoo, AOL, DoCoMo, are just some that tried and failed.

11. Look at the actual numbers.

a) If you think that Tesla Energy is going to grow to become 50% of Tesla Incs revenue then either the rest of Inc is going to have an epic fail, or I have to ask how many decades are you looking ahead - best I can figure out is 40% by 2030 with a lot of favourable winds to reach Tesla's own target:

View attachment 891832

b) Ditto profits, well only 37%,
View attachment 891833

c) Ditto cell usage, max 50/50 by 2030:
View attachment 891834

12) So overall if Tesla Energy is going to have a crack at world domination in storage it will need to scale much faster than it has been doing; to recognise that the competition is in fact here; and to spread its plants globally like now, and especially into China and Europe. If it is not careful it will enter the death spiral of Tesla solar and be globally irrelevant.

13) No more hopium please.
Thank you for your excellent response and information. Much of what I have seen as positives for Tesla energy and an imminent ramp from Lathrop comes from this poster and thread:

He sounds convincing. You much more so. What do you think of what was posted?

Huge backlog implies pricing power,
No backlog implies competitive pricing.

tesla has the ample gross margin to adjust
pricing To meet demand at profitable levels.

the magnitude of todays price break is absurd
given the prior price decline.

basing the value of the company on deviations from quarterly
expectations when the underlying business is thriving
is frankly stupid.

Don't think I mentioned that. You said the idea of an off road Tesla would be appealing, I simply pointed out that idea already exists. I'd love a jacked up version of the Y but I think it's a greater investment than many understand and would eat up much of the rebate. It would also take a meaningful range hit.
What is the problem of just selling 7 seater version?

I m having friends I haven’t heard from lately troll-text me today. Capitulation is hopefully near.

Capitulation happened last week with the presumption that we'd rally on good P/D. Some shorts covered as well but they just placed them back on today. :(

Unfortunately this is new material news that brought another leg down.

Crazy thing is the street was trying to pump Tesla with good bullish sentiment articles going into New Years.

I'm guessing we stay sideways right around here until CPI numbers.

Color me confused. I read @petit_bateau ’s post and took away that the notion that Tesla will sell all it produces from Lanthrop as unrealistic. Are you disagreeing with his analysis? Seems like we need a series of questions to be asked at Q4 Earnings conference and/or at Investors’ Day to get a better feel for whether the suggestion of large contributions to EPS in 2023 and in the near to medium term are backed up with real data, i.e., what is Tesla’s guidance for projected order volume for the Megapacks and more broadly Tesla Energy.