Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep seeing this meme that Tesla Energy is going to save the day, the year, the decade. Not just from you but all over the place. Especially here on TMC. However much I might wish that to be the case (and as a shareholder I would like it to be so) the actual facts do not support the hopium on offer.

So sorry if this seems like a snippy response to your post, really it is a response to all energy hopium posters.

1. Tesla solar is pants. It is not even a rounding error on global solar sales. It shows no signs of changing nor do I expect it to in this decade, if ever. Approx 315 GW of global solar was installed in 2022, and Tesla will have done barely 0.3 GW of that. Can you say 0.1% very slowly ?

2. Tesla wind is worse. It is to be precise zero. So of the 110-120 GW of wind installed globally in 2022 there is nil attributable to Tesla. Yes, that is 0%. Nada, zilch, rien.

3. The evidence I see suggests that Tesla Energy is slipping in the storage space. In domestic storage it is not even on the leader board for most of the world, excepting USA. In utility storage it has no penetration in China, is market leader in USA, and RoW is very murky but with plenty of non-Tesla wins.

4. For the next several years the vast bulk of the cells going into the storage market will be LFP. That is good, the characteristics of LFP make it a good match for storage. Remind me again how much LFP Tesla makes. Yes, zero. Tesla does not have a competitive advantage in LFP manufacture. The people who do make LFP such as BYD, CATL sell to everyone in the storage market, including themselves for packaging into client-ready cabinets. So the people who are most vertically integrated in this area are BYD et al, not Tesla.

5. Putting LFP into a 4680 form-factor does not seem to be an attractive or high-priority thing for the next few years, if ever. Prismatic LFP is plenty good enough for storage. Load-bearing prismatic LFP seems to be attractive in auto as well, but that's not that relevant in storage (except double-wrapping becomes unnecessary). So by the time that 4680 form-factor reaches LFP (if ever) then there is no reason to think that Tesla will have any particular magic sauce to add.

6. The biggest other cost in storage is the bi-directional power electronics, i.e. the inverter-charger. The vast majority of these in the world are made in China. The Tesla inverters are good, but they are not a game-changer. Again, the vertical integration is better in China than in Tesla, or anybody else in USA or Europe/etc for that matter.

7. The actual products coming out of China increasingly look generic, whether they are at domestic scale or utility scale. This is because there is increasing convergence on a dominant design for each segment's core-product. (The intermediate scale, aka Powerpack, for the commercial segment, looks to be an evolutionary dead end). Now I don't think we are quite at a fully generic dominant design quite yet, but we are getting close. Especially in the domestic market where I increasingly need to check the logo before I can figure out who is actually making/selling product coming out of China. This means that huge numbers of companies who you've never heard of are suddenly making LFP domestic plug'n'play product that is remarkably good quality, fully specced, absolutely functional, low priced, and is really a good deal with not much 'pray' required. That is also increasingly the case in the utility market as well. Take a look at this link and you'll see one (of many) wins of yet another fairly unknown utility-scale supplier of containerised storage by the half-GW, with not a Tesla logo in sight.

8. There is no logistics or cost advantage to Tesla in making this stuff in the USA, whatever the belief system one ascribes to. Roughly speaking one container-load of stuff disappears into one door of a factory and one container of product comes out the other door of the factory. Pretty much that is how it is both by weight and by volume. Irrespective of whether it is a domestic-scale product or a utility-scale product. The two big lumps that go in are the LFP and power electronics; labour and dumb steel get added; software gets loaded; testing happens; and a finished product comes out ready for mass-shipment. The tightest logistics integration comes from doing all this in China. Any claims that somehow doing all this in the USA lead to a better manufacturing/logistics supply chain are plain baloney. That is precisely why storage competitors of Tesla are out there around the world offering more product now than Tesla, even when Tesla's ramp is constrained by chip and cell supply shortages. Believe me, I have some on order from a competitor - the Tesla product is not available, not certified, does not integrate well with the rest of my system(s), and is in any case twice the price for no corresponding gain in functionality.

9. And last time I checked Chinese workforce were a darn sight cheaper than a US workforce, highly motivated, and very productive. In fact there is a Tesla plant or two in Shanghai that prove this (auto, and supercharger) and Shanghai is probably the most expensive place to make stuff in China. The only advantage the USA (and by extension, Tesla-USA) has is a cost one driven by a taxpayer subsidy called the US-IRA and various tariff and non-tariff barriers (whatever happened to free trade ?). That does not seem like a sustainable competitive advantage to me.

10. I've yet to see any evidence of a Tesla software advantage in this sector vs peer competitors. Yes there are advantages vs non-peer competitors, but not vs peer competitors. Want a utility-scale VPP or a trading/operating/metering platform, buy Kraken. Want to integrate with your car and your solar, buy Zappi. Or many other products. The (domestic-level) problem in the software area is not a lack of offerings, or the lack of standards, it is a lack (until now) of a dominant design that allowed this problem-set to be cleaved, and the desire by vendors for lock-in in the scaling wars. My personal guess is that the emergence of dominant designs will soon create the conditions that allow this to be solved. Yes Tesla is a nice little Apple-style walled garden, but don't mistake it for the only game in town. And whilst sometimes walled gardens are very productive Apple-style enterprises, more often they are a fast road to ruin - Yahoo, AOL, DoCoMo, are just some that tried and failed.

11. Look at the actual numbers.

a) If you think that Tesla Energy is going to grow to become 50% of Tesla Incs revenue then either the rest of Inc is going to have an epic fail, or I have to ask how many decades are you looking ahead - best I can figure out is 40% by 2030 with a lot of favourable winds to reach Tesla's own target:

View attachment 891832

b) Ditto profits, well only 37%,
View attachment 891833

c) Ditto cell usage, max 50/50 by 2030:
View attachment 891834

12) So overall if Tesla Energy is going to have a crack at world domination in storage it will need to scale much faster than it has been doing; to recognise that the competition is in fact here; and to spread its plants globally like now, and especially into China and Europe. If it is not careful it will enter the death spiral of Tesla solar and be globally irrelevant.

13) No more hopium please.
I agree mostly with your take on Tesla Solar, but...

Tesla wind? Seriously?

It is quite obious that the hopium is mostly megapacks and batteries. And yes, if you compare most of energy aspects with China, nobody fares well.

However, if gain of control of company was the goal, wouldn't he want to reduce his dilution by not creating 10% new shares?

Back in 1919, Henry Ford announced his 'retirement' from Ford Motor. Share price fell 90%. Henry scooped up a controlling interest at a dime on a dollar, then took Ford private.

Ford Motor would not return as a publicly traded company until the Ford Foundation did an IPO on Jan 18, 1956.

"Henry Ford" since Aug 2018 | Arttful Dodger on TMC

Remember That Time Ford Went Private? Elon Musk & Henry Ford | Cleantechnica

Is past prologue for Elon Musk? Why passionate executives matter | Autoblog

Not saying this will happen, jus' sayin' that this has happened in the past...

Thank you for your excellent response and information. Much of what I have seen as positives for Tesla energy and an imminent ramp from Lathrop comes from this poster and thread:

He sounds convincing. You much more so. What do you think of what was posted?
I'm pretty sure ZeroSumGame has some assumptions baked into his thought process that are super bullish.

Likewise I think petit has some preconceived notions which are too bearish.

As far as I can tell, demand for grid level storage is immense and even if there were other companies providing it, there would still be plenty of demand for Tesla's Megapacks.

We know what Lathrop's production looks like and we know they have 2+ years of backed up demand. We also know their production is in the 3-5 GWh range for this quarter. These are measurable and observable. The only question is what the margins are. I don't think ZSG's source for this info is reliable, but I suspect their margins are decent.

Regardless, it's a high probability Lathrop adds $2-3 billion to the bottom line versus last year which is significant.

Color me confused. I read @petit_bateau ’s post and took away that the notion that Tesla will sell all it produces from Lanthrop as unrealistic. Are you disagreeing with his analysis? Seems like we need a series of questions to be asked at Q4 Earnings conference and/or at Investors’ Day to get a better feel for whether the suggestion of large contributions to EPS in 2023 and in the near to medium term are backed up with real data, i.e., what is Tesla’s guidance for projected order volume for the Megapacks and more broadly Tesla Energy.

Well, @petit_bateau is actively involved in this industry, so I'll avoid discussing his analysis.

I will say that Tesla doesn't face any demand issues from public utilities, who all want Megapacks to replace their existing fleet of peaker powerplants. Tesla has decades of demand runway for Megapack, IMO.

Last edited:
I agree mostly with your take on Tesla Solar, but...

Tesla wind? Seriously?

It is quite obious that the hopium is mostly megapacks and batteries. And yes, if you compare most of energy aspects with China, nobody fares well.
I don't think "Compare to China" is really important.

Tesla can be second fiddle to China for a long time and sell all they produce.

Last edited:
Color me confused. I read @petit_bateau ’s post and took away that the notion that Tesla will sell all it produces from Lanthrop as unrealistic. Are you disagreeing with his analysis? Seems like we need a series of questions to be asked at Q4 Earnings conference and/or at Investors’ Day to get a better feel for whether the suggestion of large contributions to EPS in 2023 and in the near to medium term are backed up with real data, i.e., what is Tesla’s guidance for projected order volume for the Megapacks and more broadly Tesla Energy.
Tesla's Megapack site calls out Q3 2024 for new orders. Seems sold out...

Tesla's new Megafactory in Lantrop, CA is real and is ramping production right now. Tesla just released a new video tour in the past week, and said the facility is capable of building 10,000 megapacks per year. At $2.6M each, that's $26 B in annual revenue from just this one plant. Gross margins should be over 40%. How's that business compared to Auto? How seasonal is demand for Utility-scale infrastructure? How price-inelastic is demand for this product?

And Tesla wants to build at least 2 more Megafactories, including one at Giga Berlin (yes, that's an announcement from Tesla too). The 3rd one might be in Eastern N. America.
Agree, Megapacks are now sold out until Q4 2024 (compare at order page) - yes 2 years and Utilities don't have investment cycles that are influenced by potential recessions.

Demand is through the roof! TE is growing now exponentially and it's all about capacity again. Margins will be for obvious reasons way higher than with vehicles and the market still ignores TE. I'm very bullish on TE and we should believe in the experience of Drew and Elon when they say TE will have one day the same size as the auto business.

Demand for stationary storage will increase exponentially as renewables peak up and you need some sort of storage. That's a huge issue in Europe right now and they search for solutions. Yesterday Germany gave a huge amount of energy to neighboring countries because there is no way to store it. As of now, there are very few solutions for storage and I do not believe that Hydrogen is a solution.

I believe to assume TE will not play a role is as if you believe renewables won't win. In terms of competitive edge, Tesla is a low-cost producer simply because of the scale of its battery business and ramp and has market dominance already with a very good working product therefore can dictate pricing and demand. That alone is a competitive edge.

I believe to assume TE will not play a role is as if you believe renewables won't win. In terms of competitive edge, Tesla is a low-cost producer simply because of the scale of its battery business and ramp and has market dominance already with a very good working product therefore can dictate pricing and demand. That alone is a competitive edge.

The new Megapack factory at Giga Berlin should be a modern marvel, with it being in the veritable backyard of Tesla Automation (formerly Grohmann Enginneering).

It won't surprise me to see a few 'bots working in that new plant, 24/7/365 as Europe races to get off Russian fossil fuels.

God Speed!

The guidance that was missed came from Tesla.
A guidance is a just that, a guidance - when all things equal. But there are big macro black swan events that has happened and one needs to look at the performance against that. Ukraine war, supply chain issues, China Covid resurgence and most importantly a massive stock market crash.

One needs to look at the performance against this backdrop and not simply beat the guidance stick. It is just absurd.

I think that if the government targeted Tesla in any way with the IRA, it would indeed be built around it dominating the EV market.

The legislation is the Inflation Reduction Act. How would you reduce inflation in EV prices, the next generation of clean transport? You would put low price ceilings on the best-selling EV models.

Putting an $80k cap on the Model Y would not reduce inflation, some people were even hopeful it would allow Tesla to increase
prices on vehicles that already went from $48,990 to $65,990 during the pandemic.

Why people are just thinking about pricing and profits and not how that ties into inflation and the rate hikes, I don’t even know. If the IRA did allow vehicle manufacturers to drastically increase prices, that just means PCE metrics would head higher and so would interest rates.

I agree! This was right on the money! :)

As badly beaten as it is, I have a hard time seeing a V-shaped recovery in TSLA unless one or more of the following materializes: surprises to the downside in inflation, a surprise Fed pause, market-wide earnings surprise to the upside or stay strong (or other signs that a recession is not materializing coupled with disinflation/deflation), or Tesla's margins stay strong or surprise to the upside.
No liquidity in the market nor new buyers. Everybody is waiting for the big crash. People on FinTwit is so negative it almost feels like if a 2008-esque crash happens at least 3/4 of the people have foreseen it. The negativity in the air is the only thing keeping me optimistic. What TSLA is experiencing right now is what other blue chip tech stocks like NVDA, AMD, and AMZN already went through - 70% haircut if you show any weakness of growth.

The fed isn’t our friend right now. Even when they pivot it historically leads to the next leg down in the market because that will confirm the economy is in trouble and earnings will overtake PE multiple as the topic of discussion.

To influence DC you need to have friends and lobbyists. Elon does nothing to create friends in DC, more the opposite he tries to create more enemies, and Tesla lobby effort is rather small. Kind of reminds me of Microsoft in the 90s. Microsoft did no lobbying. Bill Gates didnt believe in it so Sun, Oracle and others lobbied for the anti-trust investigations Microsoft went through. Microsoft and Bill Gates learned. Will Tesla and Elon learn that they should make friends?

You have a weird idea of what it means to make friends. Lobbying has nothing to do with making friends - it's all about bribing the system. I know a really nice guy who worked for a major beverage distributor making a mid-six figure income with an essentially unlimited expense account. His job was to constantly wine and dine executives at the best restaurants, nightclubs, shows, etc. He hated the people he had to "befriend" and found it so distasteful he gave up his ridiculous salary and quit.

Tesla is of a different breed because Elon Musk has ideals that align with what humanity needs to thrive. Elon doesn't believe there is a fixed amount of wealth in the world and his job is to get as much of it as he can grab, no, he believes that by making life better for people, you increase the total wealth in the world and that it's a virtuous cycle.

This is my understanding of the economy too. The more efficiently it runs, the more wealth and the less poverty there is in the world. By creating more efficiency, not only do you become wealthy, but you improve the well-being of humanity. Lobbying for special favors is the anti-thesis of increasing the total amount of wealth in the world. It's a questionable exercise based on getting your fingers on what you think is a limited pie. Only people confident in their ability to increase the size of the pie can improve life for all, rather than fighting for existing scraps. Elon belongs in the former category.

You have a weird idea of what it means to make friends. Lobbying has nothing to do with making friends - it's all about bribing the system. I know a really nice guy who worked for a major beverage distributor making a mid-six figure income with an essentially unlimited expense account. His job was to constantly wine and dine executives at the best restaurants, nightclubs, shows, etc. He hated the people he had to "befriend" and found it so distasteful he gave up his ridiculous salary and quit.

Tesla is of a different breed because Elon Musk has ideals that align with what humanity needs to thrive. Elon doesn't believe there is a fixed amount of wealth in the world and his job is to get as much of it as he can grab, no, he believes that by making life better for people, you increase the total wealth in the world and that it's a virtuous cycle.

This is my understanding of the economy too. The more efficiently it runs, the more wealth and the less poverty there is in the world. By creating more efficiency, not only do you become wealthy, but you improve the well-being of humanity. Lobbying for special favors is the anti-thesis of increasing the total amount of wealth in the world. It's a questionable exercise based on getting your fingers on what you think is a limited pie. Only people confident in their ability to increase the size of the pie can improve life for all, rather than fighting for existing scraps. Elon belongs in the former category.
I said friends and lobbyists. I did not say they are one and the same.

Reactions: 30seconds and JRP3