Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pickups tops the list but to see MY becoming the 6th best selling beating ICE is gratifying. Why not buy the safest car that doesn't use fossil fuels AT ALL. Hybrids use gas and are dumb IMHO

The title is a bit less impressive than reality. Since when is a truck a car? I would define a car as a sedan, or even a station wagon. If you take the trucks and SUV's out of the list per the IRA definitions, the Model Y is the second best selling car and without seeing the rankings beyond the top 10, the Model 3 could be the 3rd best selling car.

Interesting. Just when I thought byd was doing well.

Sounds like this guy is unable to execute the task of letting the system work in order to see how it does on its own. At least not as effectively as many others have demonstrated.
Nah, this guy's a public hacker. Tesla likely enabled the "bit-fuggler' on his profile. /s

Does nobody look at at ticker any more, afraid to jinx it ;)?! Up 7% already...
+8.19% @ 10:00 ET ☘️ 🥗

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-01-09.10-00.png

The SP climb began in earnest at 09:45 which is the time when MMs begin buying/selling to hedge the Options contracts that they've sold since the Open.

Does anyone see a spike in Call Contract volume in the Intraday Options Volume chart?

TIA.

Last edited:
Those pickup numbers count the entire family of pickups from each company (F-Series, Silverado, Ram) even though they come in different sizes and shapes. If an F-250 crew cab with an 8-foot bed, Platinum trim, and diesel engine is counted with a base F-150 with a 6-foot bed and gas engine then Model 3 and Y definitely should be counted together for the comparison.

3+Y combined US sales in ‘22 was 464k, in 4th place slightly behind the Ram family. Depending on the rate of growth at Giga Texas, 3+Y might pass the F-Series to claim the #1 spot in 2023. The Y by itself has a chance at passing both the RAV4 and the Ram and Silverado families.
Does CT replace just the F-150, or the whole Ford F series ?
Seems more truck models are needed if they want to go after the whole truck segment?

The title is a bit less impressive than reality. Since when is a truck a car? I would define a car as a sedan, or even a station wagon. If you take the trucks and SUV's out of the list per the IRA definitions, the Model Y is the second best selling car and without seeing the rankings beyond the top 10, the Model 3 could be the 3rd best selling car.
Yeah especially considering that the top-selling non-truck is the RAV4 and in the top markets for EVs, the Model Y is stomping on the RAV4.

For example, in the first half of ‘22 in California, the Y outsold the RAV4 by 34%.

Why does it take nearly a month to calculate finances every quarter? Um, Excel... macro?

Do people actually use computers in Finance, or still manual data entry? Or is it all the freakin paperwork to file with the Feds? Wait... maybe it's so companies have at least 3 weeks to tweak the message and spin the data. This is a non-value added step to production, what's the deal? Maybe Tesla should look into this waste.🤷‍♂️

Does CT replace just the F-150, or the whole Ford F series ?
Seems more truck models are needed if they want to go after the whole truck segment?
Yes. Although the F150 accounts for the vast majority of trucks sold by Ford. I tried to find the details but they usually include all F series trucks up to the 650. So if the F150 covers maybe 80% of Ford's light/med truck sales the CT works as a replacement for a lot of ICE trucks.

Total truck sales in the US are around 2 million a year.
Why does it take nearly a month to calculate finances every quarter? Um, Excel... macro?

Do people actually use computers in Finance, or still manual data entry? Or is it all the freakin paperwork to file with the Feds? Wait... maybe it's so companies have at least 3 weeks to tweak the message and spin the data. This is a non-value added step to production, what's the deal? Maybe Tesla should look into this waste.🤷‍♂️

I've seen quarter end numbers run at fairly large companies (dinosaurs compared to Tesla of course) and it's just a huge process of various reports, cross checking etc. Does feel like a waste but I trust Zack.

I've seen quarter end numbers run at fairly large companies (dinosaurs compared to Tesla of course) and it's just a huge process of various reports, cross checking etc. Does feel like a waste but I trust Zack.

What's everyone's definition of waste here? Maybe we're not on the same page - I'm just a Factory guy.

Reactions: replicant

Management typically has a near instantaneous view of what's happening with respect to business and finances. However, it is an entirely different matter to present the information to investors. One of these days, it might be instructional to pick up and read some quarterly or annual reports that drop soon after earnings. There is also liability and reputational risk if these are not done right. So rightfully, there are several checks and balances in place.

It is clearly not some small business where you can tally up all your revenue and expenses in a couple of hours.

edit: I hope @The Accountant doesnt blow a gasket looking at your comment. :D

Last edited:
How is the data for percentage of TSLA owned by Institutions published? Quarterly? Very curious to see if there is any major change in 4Q22.

"The securities that institutional investment managers must report on Form 13F are “section 13(f) securities.” Section 13(f) securities generally include equity securities that trade on an exchange (including the Nasdaq National Market System), certain equity options and warrants, shares of closed-end investment"​

Form 13F - Reports Filed by Institutional Investment Managers | www.investor.gov

The due-date for filing Forms 13-F is 45 days after the end of the Quarter.

Cheers!

Interesting headline on Mercedes getting there L3 approval in Nevada. Not so much when you dig into it a bit. Lots of comments on various threads indicating how they beat tesla to level 3 blah blah blah. Ugh.