Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those so interested, Cramer equating TSMC improvements as key to F & GM delivering 30 to 50k EV/month. This equates semiconductors as the gating factor.

Seems to me it is dealers and batteries more than chips which is the mountain to overcome for F and GM. YMMV

Seems to me it's GM's and Ford's ability to sell EV's in volume at a profit.

There is no incentive to ramp to high volume when you know you will have to drop the price below your cost to produce just to sell them all. This should be understood by all but it's still explained as a chip shortage? 🤪

Those EV sales at zero to negative profit displace sales that are moderately profitable giving them twice the reason to not ramp to high volume.

Seems to me it's GM's and Ford's ability to sell EV's in volume at a profit.

There is no incentive to ramp to high volume when you know you will have to drop the price below your cost to produce just to sell them all. This should be understood by all but it's still explained as a chip shortage? 🤪

Those EV sales at zero to negative profit displace sales that are moderately profitable giving them twice the reason to not ramp to high volume.
Yea it is BS. The semis are pulling back orders because demand is slow and supply is high, yet chip shortage.

Stop it with the logic!

Btw, that poster you quoted is feigning concern.
There has to be an issue right now that they are trying to get the most number of people to honor their increased prices, before they drop the website pricing....either that or they are going to announce a bevy of things at the earnings call. There are 17 Model Y's in inventory at the Kansas City service center right now. It hasn't been above two in 6 months. There are 7 model 3's, 4 Model S, and no X's.

There has to be an issue right now that they are trying to get the most number of people to honor their increased prices, before they drop the website pricing....either that or they are going to announce a bevy of things at the earnings call. There are 17 Model Y's in inventory at the Kansas City service center right now. It hasn't been above two in 6 months. There are 7 model 3's, 4 Model S, and no X's.
It's not an issue about Tesla. It's the lost of the credit from Tesla and the uncertainty of what qualifies for IRA. I suspect orders/purchases will be in a hold pattern until something is concrete.

Lucid up >2% on the news that it only delivered 60% of the 7180 cars it produced in all of 2022....

The Market is controlled by crooks and morons.
That does it for me, I always wondered if we were living in the Matrix, this solidified the fact this is all a simulation...How disconnected from reality can this be?

I'm sure this is nothing... Completely normal.

Screenshot_20230112_103634_My Stocks Portfolio - MSP.jpg
Screenshot_20230112_103634_My Stocks Portfolio - MSP.jpg

<snip>

But the real reason that Tesla have gone with this is that they are still pursuing the solar tile nonsense and it is cost-prohibitive to put optimisers on those.

<snip>
I appreciate you are in that industry, but as others have pointed out, and your recent post tends to indicate, you you appear to be rather dismissive/insulting regarding Tesla's efforts. It's not entirely clear to me all the reasons are objective.

Would you mind articulating what makes the Solar Tile "nonsense"?

I'm sure you guys also have the same experience of having so much PTSD over FUD that you assume every article on EVs will wind up being a hit piece on Tesla or even all EVs in general. It's such a nice surprise when that's not the case. Range loss in 20F temps.

View attachment 894907

I would be utterly astonished if iPace or eTron were more efficient in cold weather than any Tesla - Octovalve trumps all

Anyway how do you “estimate” loss leading to such huge disparities between vehicles?

Do some real-world testing on all or go home

I would be utterly astonished if iPace or eTron were more efficient in cold weather than any Tesla - Octovalve trumps all

Anyway how do you “estimate” loss leading to such huge disparities between vehicles?

They should all lose roughly the same cuz physics right?

The ones with estimated losses are based on manufacturer provided numbers.

For others, it provides “estimated winter ranges,” using on-board telematics and manufacturers’ “proprietary range calculations and software.”
It’s a fantastic way to reward vendors for their crappy onboard computers.

They are comparing tested models versus generous guesswork. It’s not surprising impact does so well.

Less than zero value to this info, it gives the impression some are better or worse based on nothing.

They definitely aren't its just that their mileage is more conservative than Tesla.....they are holding more capacity back in the battery. Also noteworthy that nobody bought/is buying the IPace

Reactions: UltradoomY
I'm sure you guys also have the same experience of having so much PTSD over FUD that you assume every article on EVs will wind up being a hit piece on Tesla or even all EVs in general. It's such a nice surprise when that's not the case. Range loss in 20F temps.

View attachment 894907

It's a hit piece trying to position Tesla as being nothing special by showing some are better and some are worse. Legacy auto is desperately trying to shake off the image of being substantially inferior to the leader. It's also one more reason to stick with an ICE car. Why would you go Tesla when they all have this "problem" in the cold?

See, even Audi e-Tron and Jaguar i-Pace have a *HUGE* advantage over Tesla!

Bloomberg and Reuters, aka the usual suspects, are reporting Shanghai expansion plans on hold. Does anyone have reliable info on this, or is it just another FUD storm from two manipulators?

Hey Thumper, what do you think?

I have no particular info other than GigaShanghai has been in *constant* expansion since construction started years ago.

Did one project get delayed for some reason? Probably, at multiple times. Does it matter? Of course not.

Bloomberg and Reuters, aka the usual suspects, are reporting Shanghai expansion plans on hold. Does anyone have reliable info on this, or is it just another FUD storm from two manipulators?

From what I've read, China has concerns over Starlink bypassing their national firewall so they are using the Giga Shanghai permits for new construction as leverage. I don't know if it's true or not, but that's what the mainstream media is reporting.

Also it sounds like the construction wasn't scheduled to start for a few months yet, so this might not even impact schedules at all. Not sure, we need more info from better sources.