Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a Fed speaker say something negative? What happened to reverse the market rally after great PPI data this morning?
It's following TA to the tee. Watch Cory from yesterday. The hardest resistance trend line is the bear market trendline and spy 400 is exactly that. We needed some major catalyst to break it because once it's broken and confirmed, then that marks the end of the bear market.

The fact that the 2016 FSD story going around means nothing to SP right now should be very illuminating for people as to how this Wall Street game works.

A month ago SP would have been down 10%.

BTW, what about this fraud FSD story from 2016? Having a hard time spinning it for myself to a good place. Why do this at all? Why post a video that is at best misleading and at worst completely fabricated? I remember watching that video and playing it for my children as proof of what was about to happen. Then 7 years later this story and no true FSD.
I was a bit disappointed and wondered how they did the demo after buying our M3. It was misleading but also exciting and gave us hope.

Practically every ad out there misleads, especially demos when the investors are watching. Examples like diet programs for one. Or better yet, medicine that gives you the lifestyle of what is shown in la-la land. Or that Tom Brady can charge himself at a Hertz SC. Need a million more examples? Silly argument. The part I'm not seeing play out is how my car will yield $30K after expenses using the Tesla Network. Time will tell, but I think the steering wheel is a problem.

After my long discussion last night with ChatGPT, this is part of the challenge. AI computers have a hard time learning new stuff without rebuilding the entire network. Adding on new data after the fact can lead to "eliminating old data" or having data that doesn't fit the current model. (I'm quoting AI here.) My response was that this was quite human. However, Chat disagreed because it can't conceptualize the abstract (OK) or learn anything new (Huh?)

Not believing this fully, I asked Chat what were the most frequent type of questions asked. It said translation and some other general stuff... Ah-ha! New knowledge I pointed out. Unfortunately, it could not access that info without recalculating the data all over again. :rolleyes:

Compared to Chat, FSD is doing way more than this in trying to gather relevant data and improve at the speed of light, but sometimes we get new FSD updates and there are old behaviors that return. The more I learn about AI, the more human it appears. Did nature intentionally make us forget things? Are human flaws a part of the process or a biological nuisance that AI can overcome?

Bottom line, FSD 2016 helped me to realize what's possible, and helped Tesla sell cars (and stock I'm sure). I believe this act was mission critical and this type of projection into the future is commonplace on your TV everyday.

My random notes (and beliefs) for Tesla investors.
  1. The media FUD is unrelenting and dishonest in intent.
  2. Tesla is succeeding in its quest to convert the world to sustainable energy.
  3. Tesla has a long and prosperous road ahead.
  4. Stocks take the steps up and the elevator down.
  5. I think we have weathered the worst for TSLA in the near term.
  6. We are in a marathon (be mindful it is not a sprint)
  7. Buy when you can (without margin)
  8. Hold as long as you can
  9. Be kind. (2022 was brutal for a lot of investors here)

I'd guess lots and lots of people.

With the increasing proliferation of chargers fast and slow, I guess few people. I've done some multi 1000 mile trips in my Y and its barely enough as it is. 400 would be my sweet spot. You guys who are adventuring and towing in cold climates would buy the 500, I am sure, but you are maybe not that many?

There should be a nice middle ground for 3/Y Plaid between 3/Y P and S/X Plaid, without cannibalizing too much and the S/X Plaid, no? Also couldn't it be called Ludicrous to save the Plaid name for the McDaddy cars?

Agreed, eventually.
Based on the historical success of BMW M and MB AMG among others, I think there would be only good results by having Plaid versions of S3XY and whatever comes next. Another modest example is the entire "Hot Hatch" market in Europe and Asia. Those do not cannibalize larger models. Despite very high prices for "Hot Hatch" they attract people who want the performance but not a large size. Just as both BMW and MB have models in a half dozen sizes they also differentiate within sizes by operationally trivial styles. There is considerable advantage to Tesla to do that sort of differentiation when their production capacities are large enough to support that. Factually Model 3 and Model Y have followed that pattern and, as have the others, updated features and sometimes technology differently and at different times, just as Model 3 seems to soon have similar castings to those of Model Y, which indeed is itself having different batteries and trims for different customer preferences.

As factories ramp up, parts supplies stabilize, especially batteries, we'll see more differentiation. We are not far away from major range improvements and higher performance options. For that matter those will be coming for S&X Plaid.

Why am I so sure? Not inside information. Simply that since my first Model S experience in 2012 I have owned two more Model S, a P85D (became a DL) and my present Plaid. From S60 to S70 upgrade, through the years to S and X P100D all of which I drove long distances...those four have each been. in succession, vastly better cars with vastly better performance and reduced energy consumption. From my first Model 3 experience in late 2017 to my own P3D in 2018 there was again major improvement. Each model has been thus.

In every case and every model Tesla has improved the vehicles substantially and introduced multiple trim, performance and range options. Lately the news has been mostly about Mega Casting, new battery suppliers (Panasonic, Tesla, CATL, BYD) and continuous innovation.

There has not been enough nickel around to expand high performance, high range versions to all sizes that had both higher performance and greater range. We know that is arriving, simply because the Model S and X Plaid models have effectively identical range as their LR siblings, when equipped with the same tires. I found that out when I took delivery of my Model S Plaid and recently realized my lifetime wH/mi thus far is 296, vs 303 for my M3P and 341 for my P85DL. They all were driven the same way, all had a few injudicious rapid movements.

That paragraph may seem unrelated but it is not. It simply illustrates that all those are in the context of battery shortages and rapid technological innovation. Now, for the first time decent battery materials are becoming more plentiful and we are now realizing that what we saw on Battery Day so long ago is now reality. The model diversification is already under way. Hot Hatches and the rest are coming very soon. Margins will rise on every one...
From ancient knowledge I knew BMW lost money on low end 316 and the like and made a fortune on M3. Even the base models provided scale economies so they were not really 'losses'. That high end large gross margins benefit every maker as they have Tesla but Tesla does not discuss that openly, nor does any other OEM that does that. The same principle operates in other arenas from watches, mobile phones to airplanes.

Last edited:
Apologizes if this is repost:
Excerpts:
U.S. government is now throwing money at lithium producers, with lithium facilities planned in Nevada, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

Australian lithium company Ioneer said that the U.S. Department of Energy gave them a conditional commitment of a loan of up to USD $700 million. The company’s main project will be in Nevada, at the Rhyolite Ridge Lithium-Boron Project in Esmeralda County. “When fully operational, the site will produce enough lithium for 400,000 electric vehicles, while also producing boron.”
plans have also been announced for lithium production centers in North Carolina and Tennessee.

The Rhyolite Ridge plant hasn’t even become operational, and already EV producers including Ford and Toyota have already inked agreements with Ioneer

Based on the historical success of BMW M and MB AMG among others, I think there would be only good results by having Plaid versions of S3XY and whatever comes next. Another modest example is the entire "Hot Hatch" market in Europe and Asia. Those do not cannibalize larger models. Despite very high prices for "Hot Hatch" they attract people who want the performance but not a large size. Just as both BMW and MB have models in a half dozen sizes they also differentiate within sizes by operationally trivial styles. There si considerable advantage to Tesla to do that sort of differentiation when their production capacities are large enough to support that. Factually Model 3 and Model Y have followed that pattern and, as have the others, updated features and sometimes technology differently and at different times, just as Model 3 seems to soon have similar castings to those of Model Y, which indeed is itself having different batteries and trims for different customer preferences.

As factories ramp up, parts supplies stabilize, especially batteries, we'll see more differentiation. We are not far away from major range improvements and higher performance options. For that matter those will be coming for S&X Plaid.

Why am I so sure? Not inside information. Simply that since my first Model S experience in 2012 I have owned two more Model S, a P85D (became a DL) and my present Plaid. From S60 to S70 upgrade, through the years to S and X P100D all of which I drove long distances...those four have each been. in succession, vastly better cars with vastly better performance and reduced energy consumption. From my first Model 3 experience in late 2017 to my own P3D in 2018 there was again major improvement. Each model has been thus.

In every case and every model Tesla has improved the vehicles substantially and introduced multiple trim, performance and range options. Lately the news has been mostly about Mega Casting, new battery suppliers (Panasonic, Tesla, CATL, BYD) and continuous innovation.

There has not been enough nickel around to expand high performance, high range versions to all sizes that had both higher performance and greater range. We know that is arriving, simply because the Model S and X Plaid models have effectively identical range as their LR siblings, when equipped with the same tires. I found that out when I took delivery of my Model S Plaid and recently realized my lifetime wH/mi thus far is 296, vs 303 for my M3P and 341 for my P85DL. They all were driven the same way, all had a few injudicious rapid movements.

That paragraph may seem unrelated but it is not. It simply illustrates that all those are in the context of battery shortages and rapid technological innovation. Now, for the first time decent battery materials are becoming more plentiful and we are now realizing that what we saw on Battery Day s long ago is now reality. The model diversification is already under way. Hot Hatches and the rest are coming very soon. Margins will rise on every one...
From ancient knowledge I knew BMY lost money on low end 316 and the like and made a fortune on M3. Even the base models provided scale economies so they were not really 'losses'. That high end large gross margins benefit every maker as they have Tesla but Tesla does not discuss that openly, more does any other OEM that does that. The same principal operates in other arenas from watches, mobile phones to airplanes.

Amazing amount of experience with Tesla for someone who just joined the forum 8 months ago!

Never heard Buffett the most successful stock investor ever, mentions sell
walls, apparently he ignores them.
Warren doesn't wonder why stocks move in whichever way daily either. But for those who wants to know why today moved the way it did on good PPI and no other news..TA seems to be a likely explanation.

There is a long running joke of how BMW's front grille will evolve larger over time. We now see patent on what the next iternation will look like via CarBuzz.
BMW Invents Color-Changing Headlight Lenses That Hide In The Grille
When car is off:
1674064351319.png

On:
1674064404409.png

Warren doesn't wonder why stocks move in whichever way daily either. But for those who wants to know why today moved the way it did on good PPI and no other news..TA seems to be a likely explanation.
Fed's Bullard suggesting 50 basis point increase at next Fed meeting is more likely IMO.