Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of the 6 Euro NCAP Best in Class of 2022 Awards given, Tesla won 3 of them:

The Euro NCAP Best in Class cars of 2022 are:
* Tesla Model S - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Executive
* Hyundai IONIQ 6 - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Large Family Car
* WEY Coffee 01 - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Large Off-Road
* ORA Funky Cat - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Small Family Car
* Tesla Model Y - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Small Off-Road
* Tesla Model S - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Pure Electric

John McElroy has really turned around. In his new video, he starts by explaining how he turned from a Tesla doubter to a believer. For most of the video he runs down the 2022 financial comparison between Tesla, Ford and GM. Throughout, I did not hear one single utterance that could be considered negative towards Tesla.

Since Autoline is widely viewed by the ICE crowd, this video should be impactful to change some of their views towards Tesla.

Good, but this annoying guy needs a chill pill or something.

All the numbers he laid down are already there for all to see.

My biggest takeaway is the lack of vision he demonstrated, which I assume his dedicated viewers mostly share. He went on record that he dismissed Tesla from its inception until the end of 2019 for one reason only - they were losing money. Sometimes “hundreds of millions of dollars” per year.

People said to him, yeah but look at what Tesla is doing, and he said he responded at the time ‘well, anyone can do that losing money every year’. Um, no.

Building out a completely new EV infrastructure. Growing sales and revenues exponentially. Developing new manufacturing technologies. Engaging in constant first principles engineering and reengineering for all auto problems whether considered solved or not. Building out what has proven to be their most effective physical moat - the supercharging network.

I barely listed what Tesla accomplished during that time. Yet all of this is to be dismissed because they lost money as a start up. And now only to be acknowledged because they are turning profits.

He seems to be some sort of auto expert. Somehow this was supposed to be accomplished in an extremely capital intensive industry against entrenched century old players while turning a profit from day one in order to be taken seriously.

Whatever. Lack of vision is probably the nicest thing I could say about it. Glad he thinks otherwise now.
Better to be a slow-learner than a non-learner.

I give people credit for changing their opinion especially when their new opinion is right, it isn't easy to do.,,

I give little credit when opinions change frequently, or when people change from the right opinion to the wrong opinion, in spite of the evidence, and based only on the current stock price.

Out of the 6 Euro NCAP Best in Class of 2022 Awards given, Tesla won 3 of them:

The Euro NCAP Best in Class cars of 2022 are:
* Tesla Model S - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Executive
* Hyundai IONIQ 6 - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Large Family Car
* WEY Coffee 01 - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Large Off-Road
* ORA Funky Cat - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Small Family Car
* Tesla Model Y - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Small Off-Road
* Tesla Model S - Euro NCAP Best in Class 2022 - Pure Electric

"Off road"??!??

I have no problem with folks who really need a truck driving one. But I guarantee you a distinct minority of these owners do in the urban and suburban world most of us live in. I've got a slew of urban cowboy relatives who are shining examples of that 🤠.

I just think it's incumbent on all of us to minimize our footprints and drive the lowest impact vehicles we can that will get the job done (or no vehicle at all, if possible). I'd happily move down to a Model 2 when one becomes available (or even an Aptera), if they are more efficient vehicles, even though I like the roominess and performance of an M3 (our MYP is my wife's car, and not my choice, though we do need something to pull the trailer).

Now if we ever reach the stage where renewables power the planet, efficiency will not be as critical. Until then, less is more when it comes to energy consumption.

But I'm off topic for this thread, and will leave it at that...
Hmm... MYP in your name, for your wife's car? And the Performance is to pull the trailer? FYI, that has lower range, odd story that is.

Since we're sharing, we need a CyberTruck so we can play with Bandit inside to chase the ball around easier. We also look forward to a candle light dinner with the new Table-Dashboard feature.

This is a very well thought out and succinct video with key metrics compared. Great use of 10 minutes. Also what stood out is GM massaging of key metrics, like cars per employee. If management is compensated on that metric, it will create organizational structures and business processes that go against first principals. Incentives trump common sense
Except it completely ignores that Tesla is not just a car company. Employees per car means nothing when you also do energy storage, fueling infrastructure, solar, insurance, robots, FSD, the dealerships, service, etc. And most of those businesses are in their infancy, not contributing significant revenue yet. It’s comparing apples to chickens.

McElroy *completely*missed the boat on this, illustrating again how many “experts” still don’t get the company. (Edit: partly got ninja’d on this).

Last edited:
Nice post, glad to hear what the suburbs are thinking. And that's one of the reasons, perhaps primary, why Tesla will probably bring the 500 mile CT to production first. As you state, many pickups are used for towing and being able to have a BEV that has great towing capability AND range will be huge for Tesla! The 300 mile version is for use by folks that use their trucks primarily for trips to the hardware store or to pickup groceries (if they even pickup anymore... I have mine delivered!).

Preaching to the choir, but I think the CyberTruck is going to really change the competitive landscape in Tesla's favor! Can't wait!

What’s going to change the landscape is when competitors realize they have to charge twice the price to sell a pick up truck with the same range as the. Cybertruck. This will be an eye opening moment for wallstreet again and will be a Hertz 2.0 effect for TSLA.

My 4 boys will soon all be playing hockey during winter, skiing on the week end and mountain biking during summertime. Can’t wait for my Cybertruck to haul Mountain bikes, skis and all the ski equipment. The model Y is starting to feel small. Cybertruck is the most wanted thing in our family right now. Also with the record snow in Montreal this winter, my model Y undersurface is rubbing on ice, slush and snow everyday. The Cybertruck will be a game changer. And of course I will finally be able to buy a descent camping trailer for the summer vacations!

I was wondering about the door handle, the missing side camera and the rear charge port light on his Y. These tweet replies explained it. They were edited out, per common debranding practice for commercials, to avoid being sued.

3A30C2B9-4750-48CE-80B1-044D8CD9A644.jpeg

467C9F22-8ED8-4871-8AE2-124C3C1CF8DB.jpeg

6C90C5F6-79E3-4027-93A8-EBE56EE3C9DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Depends on what the Federal requirements are. If the Feds want credit card readers / P.O.S. at every charger head, and require that each charger have a build-in status display, that would be a significant expense for Tesla to retrofit, and ultimately a waste of time and resources.

If the Fed's will PAY for the extras, that's okay. Otherwise, Tesla doesn't need the hassle, and the Gov't fails to serve the interests of other EV owners. Oh, wait...

No cell phone? Can't start a session? Go to the 7-Eleven across the parking lot and buy a pay-as-you-go burner phone. Works only on the Tesla SuperCharger Network (TSN) via RFID. See, Applista's? TeslaFone! Done'n'dusted. ;)
The only reason biden wants tesla to open to the public and get fed money is so they can regulate tesla charging network. Second by The time the federal government builds anything most of us will be dead. not much upside with getting involved with the fed.

SMR goes through key details of a Halter Ferguson report on products that will define Tesla's future through 2030.

TLDW: Halter Ferguson's consideration of the future potential for Optimus and FSD

"...results in a present value for TSLA stock at $1,134"
and
"We do not believe the stock market will suddenly agree with us."​

Last edited:
OT, kinda, but pretty cool! Wonder if the Boring Co. will make tunnels to GigaTexas too?

Edit: Are carpenters soon to be an endangering species?
I can't remember if I posted it or not but I'd like Tesla to purchase someone like Lennar or KB Home. I hate seeing all these new housing tracks getting build with zero solar panels.

• Disagree
Reactions: ShareLofty
OT, but @Artful Dodger started it. The key here is the bot AI and autonomy. Mars light-time delays will necessitate independent decisions and actions for a meaningful rate of progress. Autonomous factory work may indeed be a good training ground.