Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The European Commission doesn’t expect a recession anymore in the Eurozone countries:
The Eurozone is expected to grow 0.9% this year, with inflation coming down to 5.6%

So Elon was wrong in his recession prediction (at least for the Eurozone).

You cannot say Elon was wrong until results for 2023 come in. You can’t push back against a prediction with another prediction!

Did some really fast market timing. Liquidated all my call options right before the close yesterday. Converted everything into one hundred percent common Tesla stock. Zero call options now. Bought back slightly lower in pre-market so that’s a plus.
Now carrying a really huge Tesla common stock position. Enough to make a difference.
not to the same level as uncle Leo or Elon but
From a single individual investor standpoint it’s probably big position. In Elon and Tesla I trust.
Trying to trade Tesla is extremely stressful. In pre-market anytime I put 10,000 share orders that tended to move the price. In fact, whenever I put orders in 10,000 share blocks and pre-market, it would not even get filled so I had to break it in 5000 share lots to get anywhere. Finally I gave up and bought all my position back by putting in numerous thousand shares orders most of it in pre-market and rest of it during market hours. I just got plain lucky in that was able to buy it back at a slightly lower price I intend to hold this position for a very long time.
Extremely stressful last five hours now I’m finally done and ready for the weekend. Happy weekend all.
YAY! Shares are good.

But did you do this just to make that quick day trade, or because you think the market is changing unfavorably for holding options??

Reactions: replicant
Gazprom's energy weaponization strategy foiled by mother nature, you love to see it
Foiled by lng , restarting nukes, Poland having brains to build alternative pipeline to Norway’s fields, Mother Nature, investors that built offshore wind. Plenty of credit to spread around. USA being willing to let inflation in nG prices run wild to support exports to Europe was a big part

Looking at todays Max Pain graphics, wow a drop from 197 to 165 for today is reflective of the approach (perhaps) of 3/1. Anticipation of both optimism and disappointment reflected in dramatic trading activity.

I wonder how the public reaction to stack integration in FSD will be received if it appears before 3/1?

My watch focus for 3/1 will be about the balance of HW vs SW discussion. To bump valuation I see focus on SW as the more likely valuation multiplier. Love to see Super Dojo plans, improved integration with StarLink and reveal of orbital data cloud development (again with StarLink ) with loads of new application possibilities (like global banking). YMMV🙂
Last Monday it was in the 160's, then moved up rapidly throughout he week - seems to be very put-heavy below 200 again, so let's see

And awful lot will depend on CPI tomorrow, of course...

Your vague post sounds like you're spreading FUD to me. Photos of the bad stuff, please???

Edit- In other words... what are you talking about?? I'm not trying to be neurotic; not trying to be anything. I didn't mean to come across like a wise guy, sorry if I did.
Thanks for the edit response. I'm in South Africa and the responder is in the UK - so photos difficult! I also can't wander out and inspect a few Teslas although I did crawl all over them when I was in the UK and thought they looked pretty fine and people were being picky. If they rattled and fell apart I'd be concerned but slightly off panel gaps mean little to me. (Must say that I took the I-Pace to a car show to broaden EV knowledge so when I polished it up I gave a close inspection for the first time and was generally impressed)

What I am talking about is why a Tesla fan (swopping from an I-Pace) would comment on the fit and finish. I can only judge by what I read and I want Tesla to churn out immaculate cars consistently so why a 2023 Berlin car would be called out for not being 'perfect', I was curious to hear other people's opinions

I tend to ne measured in my responses and find the wild swings here sometimes a bit unedifying! Elon/Tesla is God (up shareprice) or Elon/Tesla is the devil and should be burned at the stake (share price down).......

Chill people - it will all turn out as it should!

Most people will see the ad and feel confused. All ads are trying to sell you something as superbowl is the most expensive single piece of time purchase for a TV spot. Rarely you see someone anti-selling you something. So people may just see this and brush it off, not fully understanding the intent of the ad.
I was surprised about the anti selling for their EV truck GMC had. 'I don't like stopping right after it's been fun' etc that was so wierd

Todays action is just people who saw all the EV ads and assumed Tesla is going to get buried. Buying opportunity of course.
I am pretty sure investors of Tesla understand why Tesla is valued as such and how the competition running commercials only help the EV transition, getting people to believe in the idea that ICE are old news and it's all about EVs for the future. This is one aspect I don't understand why ICE manufactures keep spending massive amount of ad efforts trying to sell EVs they don't have. All this effort trying to prevent people from buying Tesla's or trying to sell stocks to their shareholders has serious ramifications toward their business. We see that every car manufacture are spending billions on ICE drivetrain r&d and yet they treat their ICE division like the out of style dinosaurs they are. Self-implosion at it's finest just to try stealing thunder from Tesla.

Is there basis for Tesla to sue him for defamation? Request Cease and Desist? Would that be beneficial or counter productive for Tesla?
Just brings him more attention, that’s what he wants. Best to ignore it.

How many days until we see the Monday search interest for Tesla (super bowl bump)? Will that be available tomorrow?

I have bought enough cars over my lifetime to know to wait. Tesla is slowly training its customers to do the same.

Lol, and how many PCs have you bought since 1993? Did you hold off from buying a '486 because you heard the Pentium was coming in a few months? Tesla isn't a car company, it's a tech company, and people know well how the price ladder works. Always more for less, but when is the best time to buy? When you need one ('cuz they're great).

As a Tesla investor and HODLer, I passed on the McElroy video on Tesla profits to friends for their information

A few have come back and pointed out that Tesla have dropped their prices by more than the profits so must be now trading with negative profits?! Like Ford...

How do I answer this? Can some accountant or industry watcher explain the figures now? Is Tesla temporarily upping demand by selling at a loss?
Thanks
Here's a very rough calculation:

1. The price cuts were probably about $7k-8k per vehicle when you take into account all models in all markets.

2. The cuts were relative to end of 2022 prices but the actual 2022 average sales prices were maybe $2k-3k lower, because the prices were rising through 2022 and there were discounts at the end of 2022. So the actual cuts were something like $5k per vehicle.

3. Net profits were about $10k per vehicle but gross profits were about $16k per vehicle. The difference is mainly operating costs (R&D, adminstration, etc.). If the gross profits drop to about $11k per vehicle, but at the same time the sales grow by about 40%, the net profits drop to about $7k per vehicle.

4. There are a number of other factors, some negative (increasing operating costs), some positive (increasing energy profits), but probably the biggest unknown is automotive costs, which are difficult to estimate as there are so many factors. My hunch is that the costs are going down, which would increase profits, but I have no idea how much.