Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you clarify if you see any significant impact from battery recycling efforts?

Also, is the stationary storage the requirement to stabilize the grid for anticipated growth, or is it to get to that point of stabilization by 2040 -in other words, is that the steady state, or the ramp to get there?

Thanks
I haven't been able to identify a resource constraint on the cell supply side that acts for any significant / identifiable duration. I'm not saying that one won't become available, and I'm not saying that I've done some massive investigation, but I've been asking around for a while and nobody has murmured a peep. I've spent a while in my life pulling stuff out the ground so I know there is a cost to it and plenty other issues. Exploration cycles and stuff like that. But the evidence to date is the cell supply industry is solving the challenges so as to scale in a cost-effective manner in conjunction with their their client base. So for now my model runs without a cell supply growth constraint.

Given that I don't particularly mind if the cells are first life or second life. However by 2040 the second life & related reuse/recycle efforts should be beginning to get serious volume. So if anything that eases things much as in the steel or aluminium or copper industries, i.e. load once, then reuse and just add raw material for growth and wastage. If I could identify a constraint I'd sweat this aspect a lot harder. If anyone knows a constraint please speak up. In fact that is the main reason I have put a scale marker down on the table so as to get the hive mind to focus.

It just so happens that the natural outcome was complete transfer by ~2040. I didn't set it up to achieve that, it was just how the model solved, even after allowing for transfer constraints that I built in. That included allowing for per capita energy growth, and for population growth, and of course the consequences of transferring from fossil to renewable (i.e. for anyone who models this stuff I've allowed for the difference between substituted and direct, and consequent shrinkage in substituted). But given that a full transfer occurs then that becomes the new 'steady state'. However it doesn't account for any 'extra' additional demand arising from dreams of infinite free energy - they may exist but I am a cautious person. The implicatio is that this is ramp over, stable state achieved. But I will say that it is with less of an intermittency buffer than I would like - I used to have the toolset to model intermittency buffers very well, but right now I am having to drive on a reservoir of knowledge in that area, nevertheless it does look light to me and so further intermittency reinforcement might be helpful. Against that, I should also point out that I haven't explicitly quantified any potential high capacity long distance (1000-km x 100+GW) grid links that can make a non-trivial impact on storage requirements.

We keep assuming that batteries will be the growth limiter. Is it really true? Reasons to be positive:
  1. Batteries (specifically in Tesla's 2 recent form factors) are fast becoming commoditised
  2. Tesla are removing people from manufacturing them and will standardise the equipment
  3. Tesla are buying up what they need 5+ years ahead and others will be forced to follow
  4. LFP - no obvious resource shortages
  5. Tesla will be planning 2x the automotive need due to TE. If TE does not meet its targets then Tesla can still meet it's overall goals. This is a huge buffer.
  6. Tesla are making it their number one priority - buying mines etc. if needed

Perhaps I am phrasing things poorly, please excuse me. This calculation does not assume that the batteries will be the growth limiter, quite the reverse. Instead it sets out the minimum supply required for them not to become the growth limiter. In fact the model drivers are:

- on the vehicle side : the history-matched S-curve that works equally well for all three of (#EV; EV-GWh; %EV);
- on the global energy side : the observed historical growth rates (and observable changes to growth rates) in all the non-fossil categories (and the rate changes in fossils) + population changes + energy/capita + various constraints except for in cell supply + drivers for intermittency coverage + the given levelised cost environment we have.
- and the result assumes that cell supply is not the limit provided that this cell quantity is achieved (as the intermittency coverage is set at a scanty level, i.e. probably better be higher as a first order estimate).
- the assumption that external (endogenous) perverse incentives do not materially interfere (e.g. ROPEC+ declaring war on humanity, etc).

It is actually a very simplistic model as these things go, but sufficient for my purposes at this time.

Personally I thought the result was quite positive, i.e. full vehicle transfer by 2030, and full energy transfer by 2040. I've not seen any other serious modelled scenario that comes out with anywhere near as optimistic an outcome as that. (I think) this is because I am identifying the real current situation from a position of clarity, and I am able to cut a minimal-necessary model in a very short time in a particular manner. I expect that in three years time all the mainstream modellers will start to cautiously put forwards what I am seeing as their 'best' scenario, but they have such long revision cycles and publication cycles they are always driving in the rearview mirror 5-years after the event. So anyway how fast do you think this transition can be done ?

Yeah, this is probably overstating the intentions for Cybertruck. Elon said on the Decode podcast (Nov 2, 2018) if Cybertruck fails to catch on, Tesla will make a more conventional truck:
If this is your take-away, then my point wasn’t as well made as I’d hoped. While I do think the shape of the vehicle is fair game for Gen 3, I don’t think that’s the main point. The point is they are designing vehicles based on manufacturing and scaling first.

I think when Tesla released the Cybertruck they pushed their philosophy behind Gen 3 as hard as they could out the gate to see what they could get away with. Apple used to do with with the UI. Push things as far as you dare, then dial it back a bit to make it more palatable to mainstream consumers.

They could certainly push out another truck which is more traditional, but I suspect it’ll also be drive by wire and inherit many of the other innovations they put into the Cybertruck first.

I suspect part of the mission of the Cybertruck is to gauge how well consumers will accept radical redesigns.

Gen-3 is the $25K Compact Car we first heard about during the 2018 AGM. It will likely be expanded to include a sedan and CUV (much like the S/X and 3/Y fraternal twins), and it will cost half as much to produce as the Gen-2 vehicles. As such, sales for Gen-3 could be up to 10x that of Gen-2 (or roughly ~10M vehicles per year). That's a big chunk of how Tesla gets to 20M/yr by 2030.

Cybertruck? 500K/yr was the stated goal, whereas the TAM for U.S. full-size trucks is roughly only about 3M/yr. That's not the droid you're looking for...
Again, I don’t think “Gen 3” is a specific vehicle. Much like Gen 1 and Gen 2 were not a single vehicle. It is a platform. Not a literal sled like GM rolled out, but a series of design philosophies. While you might be correct and the Cybertruck might not be in the bag of products Tesla calls Gen 3, we’re definitely going to see a parade of products under that umbrella.

I still think Cybertruck is the first of them.

We keep assuming that batteries will be the growth limiter. Is it really true? Reasons to be positive:
  1. Batteries (specifically in Tesla's 2 recent form factors) are fast becoming commoditised
  2. Tesla are removing people from manufacturing them and will standardise the equipment
  3. Tesla are buying up what they need 5+ years ahead and others will be forced to follow
  4. LFP - no obvious resource shortages
  5. Tesla will be planning 2x the automotive need due to TE. If TE does not meet its targets then Tesla can still meet it's overall goals. This is a huge buffer.
  6. Tesla are making it their number one priority - buying mines etc. if needed
Mostly agree, will just expand a little.
1. We will see some strange regional incentives and China-US dynamics in the short run. It seems likely that soon we will figure out Na batteries which will eventually replace LFP for storage, lets say around 2030. Then we will have Nickel for performance/long range/evtol, LFMP for medium range, LFP for budget and Sodium for stationary. Maybe LFP will become obsolete for most cases.

4. Refining is the short term bottleneck and investments here takes time. Until sodium comes and eases the demand for lithium.

Btw Sodium is actually happening. Some timeline (written 3 days ago):

CATL unveiled its first-generation sodium-ion battery on July 29, 2021, saying that the energy density of the cell alone has reached 160 Wh/kg, the highest of its kind in the world.

CATL's next-generation sodium-ion battery energy density will exceed 200Wh/kg, it said last year, adding that the company has started the industrialization layout of sodium-ion batteries and plans to form a basic industrial chain in 2023.

A week ago, it was reported that BYD plans to mass-produce sodium-ion batteries in the second quarter of 2023, though this was denied by the company.

On Wednesday, a new report said that BYD's new all-electric mini car Seagull, which is currently undergoing road tests, maybe the first to carry sodium-ion batteries, and the model's launch is expected to be in the second quarter of 2023.

Hina Battery and Sehol, a joint venture between JAC and Volkswagen Anhui, have jointly built a sodium-ion battery test vehicle based on the Sehol EX10 small electric car. The test vehicle has a battery pack with a capacity of 25 kWh and an energy density of 120 Wh/kg. The model has a range of 252 km according to Chinese standards and supports fast charging up to 4C. The battery pack uses sodium-ion cells with an energy density of 140 Wh/kg.

If you didn't see it before here is CATL presentation about Sodium batteries:

Europe has literally banned new ICE passenger vehicles being sold in 12 years time. All the ICE factories are going to be worthless as ICE factories soon, so makes complete sense that VW will convert them all to EV Manufacturing, keeping the very valuable permits and consents in place, as well as reusing large amounts of the plant & equipment (paint shop, stamping, robots etc) & trained workforce. Fremont itself was a ICE factory when Tesla purchased it.
When I attended the Model S Launch at Fremont in, say, 2010/2011 or so, I can assure you the factory was an empty shell with a stage, catering, I and a couple of demo robots. I don't know whether it had equipment when Tesla bought it, and they junked it, or whether it was handed over empty. So it was an ICE factory in a previous life.

When I attended the Model S Launch at Fremont in, say, 2010/2011 or so, I can assure you the factory was an empty shell with a stage, catering, I and a couple of demo robots. I don't know whether it had equipment when Tesla bought it, and they junked it, or whether it was handed over empty. So it was an ICE factory in a previous life.
All the usable stuff was stripped out.
Tesla fortunately found a deal on a used stamping press they bought and have delivered and installed. A functional plant would be easier to convert (for legacy OEM values of conversion).

Regarding Tesla level building conversion, consider Austin is 4 floors tall (in places). Profit maximization involves footprint utilization.

That Connecting the Dots channel is more Guess the Crazy Extreme Possibility that will Never Happen than actual fact-based or reasonably likely conjecture. He may get some things correct, but usually his pie-in-the-sky connections are more like not our wildest dreams.
He definitely smokes the Hopium pipe before making his videos.

They are fun in a way, but you just have to realize a good chunk of that he says is not very likely to come to fruition.

Problem is that Tesla has shown us that converting old ICE factories to BEV is not the most efficient way to go.

Look at how inefficient Fremont is compared to Shanghai. The work and materials sourcing input flows are not the same..

Will it work? Yes. Will it have the same output per man hour as Tesla? Highly doubtful.
I don't think we can put down all the efficiency increases just to it being green field. There is a LOT of learning that Tesla took from ramping up Model 3 in Fremont.

In anycase, OEMs have the option to raze the old factory to the ground and rebuild (in sections, if regulatory powers require it).

That is a full transition away from coal, oil, and gas in 17-years; and I think that is exactly what is happening with a near-complete vehicle manufacturing transition by 2030.
I sure hope your numbers on moving away from fossil fuel are right. Seems optimistic to me, but I’m becoming more optimistic as this transition happens.

It always cracks me up when yet another municipality/ state/ country announced the end of ICE production by 2035. It‘s like they are picking the most softball estimate they can imagine and running with it. While it’s not clear legacy automakers will be able to transition their production to EVs by 2030, it is abundantly clear that demand for ICE vehicles will not exist after 2030.

What that looks like will be interesting to watch. Do legacy auto companies continue trying to chase profitability on fewer and fewer ICE vehicles? Looking at GM dropping another billion on a next Gen V8 makes me think this is exactly what the plan is.

My feeling is a lot of people are going to try and stretch their existing car or truck as long as possible. There will definitely be a long gap there will be a lot of used ICE vehicles stretched for a few years while people wait for affordable EVs.

Apologies if this first link has been posted already. If you’ve seen it already maybe skip to the after bit with the (I think) funny video.

I think everyone here understands how bad _low demand_ for trucks is to Ford and GM. Over the past few years these guys have taken advantage of the pandemic shortages to raise prices and limit the number of low end trucks on offer. With the end of 2022, most of the supply shortages are lifted or have been mitigated and now that these companies no longer have any cover to hide behind. It’s pretty clear we have an emperor has no clothes situation.

GM stuffed the hell out of their channels last quarter, likely with mostly high end trucks. But apparently they didn’t get the memo that the fed increased rates massively over the past 9 months and demand for big ticket items has dropped off rapidly. Tesla clearly got this memo which is why they dropped prices. But the average pickup truck price is way up in the past few years and now with interest rates sky high, nobody can afford the payments on these beasts.

It’s not just the new price either. Used truck prices are tanking hard also. This video suggests extremely hard. I think this is a used car auction for dealers who likely all have 10+ Used trucks on their lots which they paid 2022 prices for and have been collecting dust. Eventually they are going to have to take a big loss and sell for 2023 prices.

Not a great time to be in the auto market unless your name is Tesla. (Maybe someone should tell Buffett)

Require some extensive retooling with lengthy downtimes?
That's true in any assembly plant when retooling for a new vehicle. Costs a lot and takes time to revise the assembly lines themselves, the stamping and welding facilities, the fixturing, etc. Engines and transmissions aren't (typically anyway) built at the same plant the vehicle is assembled. Manufacturing (as opposed to assembly) is typically limited to the stamping of the body/unibody structure (and even a good portion of that may be outsourced). Tesla's strength is designing the car around manufacturing processes-they take the principles of design for assembly/design for manufacturing to a greater level than other manufacturer. Point being-it won't be that much different retooling an assembly plant to build an EV than it does to build a different ICE vehicle. And everybody's plants, including Teslas, will be regularly retooled and lines reworked to optimize processes, reduce costs and streamline production. As more is learned, new processes developed (gigacasting and structural packs for example) the lines will be altered or replaced. As environmental demands (emissions standards) change, paint lines are replaced to comply. The factory building, with 4 big walls, doesn't care what's being built inside it. Assuming the building is big enough and the property facilitates flow of materials through the building and off the property.

Retooling an existing plant means you avoid the lead time, costs and (potentially) much of the permitting process to acquire the land, build the plant, build the infrastructure (including roads/access) as opposed to building a new plant. Look back at all the grief that Tesla went through with securing the blessing to start production in Germany. Much of that grief might have been avoided if they were just retooling an existing facility. Big might, given German bureaucracy, but possible. Especially for VW who as a German company has strong support from the German government.

What's up with the $12-$15k price reduction on all MS and MX inventory?
New versions with new hardware being announced soon. Interesting that they are doing this only 15 or so months from their last major update of the S and X. That was the Version that brought us the yoke steering wheel.

This is the first time I see Elon promoting Tesla to a specific fund management. Usually he tells people not to buy the stock because it's too high, too volatile, etc etc.
This tweet of Elon’s isn’t meant as fully serious, he’s kinda joking, which he does with a lot of his tweets. He’s given up on Berkshire as a potentially serious investor.