Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if this US data is correct for Q1. We can probably add up Europe and China and do the math, I just haven't bothered to do it yet.

But if the numbers are correct, hard for me correlate Q1 2023 only being 7,000 more deliveries than Q1 2022 when you have Austin hitting 4k/week during Q1. Yes that 4k/week wasn't averaged over all of Q1. The average was likely something like 2,500/week, maybe 3,000/week. But even at 2,000/week, that should have equated to roughly 26,000 more deliveries in Q1 2023 verses Q1 2022 if Fremont production stayed the same. Now S/X are being shipped overseas so subtract out 7-8k and we're still left with 18k-19k.

Q1 US sales really were rather disappointing considering the combination of first quarter of the EV tax credits and the massive price cuts by Tesla.

The flip side is this could be Tesla's way of ending the wave and essentially not caring about whether a delivery happens in the last 5 days of the quarter or the first 5 days of the next quarter. But even still, the price cuts (though rather small on 3/Y) will surely be treated as imbalance between supply and demand.

I'm not turning bearish by any means and if we get a notice of Austin hitting 5k/week within the next couple of weeks, then you can chalk it up to the ramp of US production but this earnings call is going to be incredibly insightful into what exactly are the dynamics at play. I'm probably going to go into this earnings report with a more defensive position because if margins to compress significantly, it's gonna get ugly for the stock for a while 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Disregard....the Q1 2022 number can't possibly be correct.
Clearly all the reports cannot be correct. Daimler, for example does not exist any more so zero would be correct. Otherwise they exclude Mercedes Benz. It’s hard to imagine there is anything accurate when there are errors so basic. MBUSA does not make quarterly reports quickly but here are the 2022 yearly results:

It is tempting to believe favorable data. However when somebody purports to display full market data and excludes a major player all the rest becomes questionable.

Last edited:
That's mostly already solved with self checkout.
Actually cashier is one of the best jobs at a grocery store. Mostly you can sit and chat we the customers. The most unwanted and worse payed job is restoring shelves. This can hurt your back extremely and would be ideal for a robot. But often this has to happen during opening hours. The safety aspect could be the main reason why robots are not used for this job today.

Not wanting to risk getting sucked into a cesspool of negativity and toxic hate - like some of those other threads turned into.

In truth, we’ve had enough postings in this thread to grasp it’s a mixed bag for people; as it has been since day one of FSDB.

Agreed... it's not for the faint of heart 💔.
Similar to going into the Elon Twitter forums.
Proceed cautiously. Like walking into the pits of despair...

Most would agree that Tesla will be the subject of many business school case studies for years to come, as will TSLA be the subject of many investment case studies.

I would posit that TeslaMotorsClub.com itself may (and certainly should) be the subject of many psychology case studies as well, exploring the effects of no / some / heavy moderation on anonymous internet discussion forums. In particular, there might be enough overlap in topic / userbase / content, et al, between various sub-threads on TMC to begin drawing test-able conjectures on human behavior for future study. For myself, at least, TMC has allowed me to draw the actionable conclusion to personally only visit at least moderately-moderated anonymous internet forums / subthreads. :)

The falcon wing doors, the easy entry six seats, and the helicopter windshield as well as the luggage capacity and the abundance of power ... Must be hard to go back to a car that doesn't have this once you are used to the unobstructed views...

I have never owned a Model X. I have driven two pf them on long distance drives. One from San Francisco to Vancouver and back, the other From Milan to Croatia and other places. Both times there was only my spouse and myself with modest luggage.

I echo your points. The viability is so excellent that Model X is easier to maneuver in tight spaces than even the Model 3. I have posted a photo of me in a Model X in Bergamo passing through a very, very tight ancient wall passage with a few cm on either side. That really was not difficult, bizarrely, because of the visibility. The Falcon doors I found useful for the ease of entry and egress for delicate porcelain luggage, for example.

I have owned and or operated every Tesla model since the original Model S40 (upgraded to 60). Every one had strong positive points, and I've ended out owning three of those types.
None have ever matched the visibility and ease of driving tight spaces that the Model X affords. I never bought one because it is just too big for me. OTOH I currently have a Model S Plaid, so I'll plead to inconsistency when I face some astounding technological advance.

I hope Tesla makes at least one type smaller than the X that retains those amazing features. People who live in tight spaces would buy a smaller, much smaller, equally appealing vehicle.
Now that Tesla is approaching high volumes it seems time to offer at least a couple high specification small, mini X and Minivan types oriented towards urban buyers. Obviously the lower priced ones are evolving rapidly. The high spec variants have a lucrative market waiting.
I'd buy two!

Too much trouble and it puts a person out of a job. Many retirees depend on this type of job for income.
Yes, but this is the issue with society and economics that forces some retirees to work. Nothing to do with robots. Robots will replace many jobs weather we like it or not.

Nobody's crying over telephone switchboard operators from the past.

Friend in China has told me Elon is scheduled to meet with Li Qiang, China’s new premier. Sounds like local news/social media there are talking about it.
Was Li Quang previously the mayor of Shanghai and a main supporter of Tesla factory there? He and Elon probably have talked a few times before.

And he might be using now the success of Tesla in China as a proof of his pro-western business stance to attract more foreign investments.

Was Li Quang previously the mayor of Shanghai and a main supporter of Tesla factory there? He and Elon probably have talked a few times before.

And he might be using now the success of Tesla in China as a proof of his pro-western business stance to attract more foreign investments.
Yeah he was previously high up in Shanghai politics.

I don’t remember if I posted here about it or just talked in private chat, but the Shanghai clique was elevated last year by Xi’s will. I don’t know how positive it is for tesla, but certainly seems like it’s a good thing for the business.

I was thinking about what how Tesla changed the way they discount.

Anyone has a good explanation on why Tesla decides to discount at the beginning of Q vs end of Q like they have always done? In fact Q1 is the quarter where they discounted beginning of Q and prices creeped up by end of Q, totally opposite of what they usually do. Q2 may be the same again.