Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the trailers hooked to the grid? Which location? Maybe Tesla is doing a test.

Tesla has done the trailers on busy weekends, such as holidays, for very popular superchargers in CA. If this was along I-10 in CA, it could be to handle excessive traffic due to the Coachella music festival.

I was looking at the various market caps for the FAANG companies nowadays and TSLA (~$580B). For Apple, Google, Amazon, and Microsoft...compared to Tesla...what would you say Elon Musk has to get better at as a CEO in order to for TSLA to be in the $2T range?

After some thought, the only thing that came to mind was - don't be in an industry where everyone is going to hate you; let alone multiple industries. No one hates and give vitriol to Tim Cook or Satya Nadella.

Locally I am seeing a lot of Model 3 RWD and Model Ys in inventory. Nothing scientific, but the last time I remember seeing this much inventory is when Tesla made those price cuts.

I wonder what Tesla's next move regarding Model 3 RWD inventory in the US is. These units just became $4k more expensive for most customers. Is Tesla going to cut prices by 4k or is Tesla going to give up on selling this model for some time?

Reactions: cusetownusa
I was looking at the various market caps for the FAANG companies nowadays and TSLA (~$580B). For Apple, Google, Amazon, and Microsoft...compared to Tesla...what would you say Elon Musk has to get better at as a CEO in order to for TSLA to be in the $2T range?

After some thought, the only thing that came to mind was - don't be in an industry where everyone is going to hate you; let alone multiple industries. No one hates and give vitriol to Tim Cook or Satya Nadella.
As many have already noted, I think it just requires patience on our part and continued execution by Tesla. Over time the market will shake out the weaker players and as Tesla continues to execute, more will notice.

As many have already noted, I think it just requires patience on our part and continued execution by Tesla. Over time the market will shake out the weaker players and as Tesla continues to execute, more will notice.

Thanks! That's reassuring, though I'm actually beginning to be worried about the downside...the fundamentals still are incredible right now.

My biggest worry is with the lowered inventory backlog as they scale and if there's people buying less (due to all sorts of factors), in general.

To start with, Alphabet, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, etc. all have revenue multiple times that of Tesla and are much older, more established companies. It took them decades to establish dominance in their respective products. Tesla is dominating right now but going to take some time to get the same level of public recognition.

Are the trailers hooked to the grid? Which location? Maybe Tesla is doing a test.
It's the one in Indio California off I-10 and Jackson St. About 8 large cables going directly to the main transformer/grid.
Just opened (expansion) 3 days ago per employees there (who were required to know nothing about Tesla, lol).

1681840380467.png

I wonder what Tesla's next move regarding Model 3 RWD inventory in the US is. These units just became $4k more expensive for most customers. Is Tesla going to cut prices by 4k or is Tesla going to give up on selling this model for some time?
I think they need to sit on prices for a bit. To many price reductions to soon causes people to wait for price reductions.
I do think it was a mistake to drop $1000 before the tax credit was reduced from $7500 to $3750. Should have waited until after the tax credit was changed.

Spiritual successor to the snake charger:
Don't worry, Optimus will plug in your car and then deliver a frozen margarita to your robotaxi soon.
Cool, but definitely not going to be in typical DCFC locations. Moving parts, track to keep clear of crud, etc. Much breakage. Perhaps in a large covered garage for Robotaxi charging, but that latest multi hundred KW wireless pad I linked to a while back (cleantechnica story iirc) sure seems like a better solution for RT. No moving parts, no track to fill with crud, very little loss. No part will be the best part for most situations.

Tesla has done the trailers on busy weekends, such as holidays, for very popular superchargers in CA. If this was along I-10 in CA, it could be to handle excessive traffic due to the Coachella music festival.
Yes, that festival was only 5 mi south. Tempted ourselves, but the tickets were going for ~$600 and we only had 24 hours to spare.

Could totally see a CyberTruck to rent the MegaPacks and resell power at the show $$$. New business model if I had a nearby solar farm as well, or some grid tap. Like portable lights... oh and that too only silent.

It's pretty clear where my time is going (went) - this thread is addictive. New world, can't stop imagining.

They sold them for a number of years with 0 tax credit. Still under $40k with the current credit.

I think they need to sit on prices for a bit. To many price reductions to soon causes people to wait for price reductions.
I do think it was a mistake to drop $1000 before the tax credit was reduced from $7500 to $3750. Should have waited until after the tax credit was changed.
This is the risk of deflation and something Elon and Cathie Wood have been warning/tweeting about for closing in on a year now

The Fed would say this is why slow and stable 2% inflation is best, because that ensures people purchase now rather than delay excessively because prices will gradually increase over time. When you flip between crazy inflation and then deflation, bad things might happen.

To start with, Alphabet, Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, etc. all have revenue multiple times that of Tesla and are much older, more established companies. It took them decades to establish dominance in their respective products. Tesla is dominating right now but going to take some time to get the same level of public recognition.
My comment relates to SpaceX. A leap forward with Starship / StarLink to orbit would create a halo effect hard to beat as I see it. CT is exciting but Starship is Biblical in comparison IMO.

They sold them for a number of years with 0 tax credit. Still under $40k with the current credit.

They were selling a small number relative to how many they are producing today. If they couldn't sell all units in Q1 with the $7.5k credit, I doubt they'll clear inventory any time soon, unless they cut production.

This is the risk of deflation and something Elon and Cathie Wood have been warning/tweeting about for closing in on a year now

The Fed would say this is why slow and stable 2% inflation is best, because that ensures people purchase now rather than delay excessively because prices will gradually increase over time. When you flip between crazy inflation and then deflation, bad things might happen.

Those Cathie & Elon tweets were from September. CPI/inflation readings since then have proved their predictions of deflation to be very wrong haven‘t they?

Those Cathie & Elon tweets were from September. CPI/inflation readings since then have proved their predictions of deflation to be very wrong haven‘t they?

I buy lots and LOTS of computer components and servers for my company. Deflation is very much real in that area. I can get 1.5X as much storage for the same $100,000 as I could just as recent as December. And these are products that didn't go up 100% during the pandemic. Perhaps 30%.

Sure, there are counterexamples to this, but in many sectors, deflation is already here.

We've seen what I think would be called disinflation, meaning a slowing in the rate of inflation, but definitely not broader deflation (yet).

I say broader deflation because prices have definitely actually come down on some things particularly sensitive to rate hikes rather than the rate of increase merely slowing

What Tesla has going for is large Tam and near impossible barrier to entry to be a formidable competitor. Many will try, but profitability is extremely uncertain and we have very little examples of anyone hitting consistent profitability.

So far the competitor couldn't make a profitable EV, robotaxi/FSD, EV charging infrastructure, or robotics. Solar and battery storage are the only products that has hit profitability by others.

The reason why Tesla has hit profitability where others haven't, and where others have hit profitability while Tesla is a laggard is all due to scale of production. Tesla focused mainly on transportation and we now see they completely obliterate the competition when it comes to profitability. I have a feeling once storage/solar scales way up, the companies that are pretty profitability today selling storage will have a hard time keeping up as Tesla drives down the price by 50% and still makes a healthy profit.