Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto gross margin ex-credits & leases is 18.3%.

Will Zach address this on the call? He forecasted above 20% for the quarter on the last call.

That reminds me . . . @MrMoo you owe me one TSLA share. I won the bet we made in this thread that AGM would remain > 18%.

I'll find a charity that you can donate the cash equivalent to.

Rob estimating auto ASP of $47,134 and auto COGS 38,505.

Both are substantial drops from Q4.
I am calculating the same. 18.3% GM which is lower than Zach's Q1 estimate. That's 1.7% shortfall over guidance, and translates to $800 in ASP shortfall.

I suppose, the volume guidance for the rest of the year should go up, now that the weakest qtr is behind us. Just seasonally estimating rest of the Qs from Q1 and no organic growth should get us to the guided 1.8 million deliveries. These new round of cuts should arguably give the confidence to raise the target. Also, looking forward to more guidance on storage now that its starting to show gang buster growth and they specifically called out the Lathrop and Shanghai capex.

Taxes line didnt go down as much as expected from the IRA manufacturer credits. Perhaps Pana is keeping them and passing on the lower COGS to Tesla?

Finally, the FCF took a massive hit, and was sort of expected because of the continued increase in Days on hand inventory. Q1 '23 was 15 days compared to 3 days in Q1 '22.

Slight ramp up in capex investments. Over 2B in a qtr I think is a first.

Overall earnings call should be pretty positive, though quite a bit depends on their answer on Auto GM trends, even as they say dont focus on it. If they guide to ~20% after the latest cuts, that would surely be a big one.

According to Rob Maurer:

ASP (ex credits, ex lease vehicles): $47,134 (vs $52,081 a year ago & $51,056 last quarter)
average COGS: $38,505 (vs $36,640 a year ago & $39,561 last quarter)

==========

With the trailing 12 month Net income & EBITDA lines falling into a downtrend (despite strong unit growth), I’m not surprised the stock price has fallen in after hours trade given the market generally focuses on expected near term performance & margins (which is going to be negative y-o-y earnings given the very tough year ago compares, and Tesla ruthlessness for unit growth at the expense of margins)

I would say the next 6 months will present some good opportunities to build positions for those with the belief that this short term period of declining profits/margins will mask long term gigantic profits from the market position & future product roadmap that Tesla is rapidly growing.

For those that feel like they missed the chance to get into TSLA before the big profits were made in the massive run up of 2020 - the next 6 months maybe your time to act.

Energy generation and storage revenue up 148% yoy, but storage MWh deployed up 360% yoy. Is this the effect of long acceptance cycles between delivery and invoicing? If so, this bodes well for storage revenue growth.

Probably. The customers are industrials and commercial. They can have different payment terms anywhere from Net 15 to Net 60. And probably contract terms that payment clock doesn't start till operational status is cleared by whatever regulatory body (utility, local authorities, etc.). So Tesla can mark it is as "deployed" in the quarterly report, but hasn't been paid.

Energy generation and storage revenue up 148% yoy, but storage MWh deployed up 360% yoy. Is this the effect of long acceptance cycles between delivery and invoicing? If so, this bodes well for storage revenue growth.
yes, the interconnection queues are a huge pain. the revenue might take a while to be recognized. Meanwhile this deployed stuff counts as inventory increase, and extends the cash conversion cycle.

The thread below has some hard numbers, and I hope Tesla has been smart enough to sidestep the projects with most uncertainty. A mitigating factor is - Batteries are flexible enough to be deployed wherever there is interconnection capacity, unlike large generation units that cannot be sited wherever one wants them.

Edit: storage MWh deployed was up 58% qoq!
The average revenue per MWh deployed has collapsed. I guess they have significantly lowered that with the larger Megapacks accounting for most of the deployed amount.

I’m by no means an expert and happy to be corrected, but GAAP rules would normally require Tesla to allocate costs alongside any delayed payment terms.

We won't know this until the 10-Q is released, but we have seen delayed revenue listings for large energy deployments in the past. They have generally been overlooked because they were TEENY TINY compared to everything automotive. A rounding error. They are no longer a rounding error.