Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all TMC members in Canada, I just received this email from Starlink:
Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 9.03.30 PM.png

That is quite the discount for those looking to make the switch from cable to satellite. It appears that most Canadian addresses are compatible. Note monthly maintenance charges still apply.
Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 8.55.37 PM.png

And how is SPACEX's Starlink related to Tesla? Well, there is always this gem that I saw on my drive this morning.
Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 8.58.00 PM.png

Cross pollination my friends.

I’m going to buy the dip. All my money is already in Tesla stock. I’m going buy the dip by selling my Canadian house and use that money to move to Algarve Portugal and buy a house just as nice for half the price. I’d save a big chunk of money on mortgage payments and property tax. I tell people that it economically makes sense and I don’t have to escape the winter all the time. The real reason is I want to buy the dip on Tesla stock and this is my way of doing it. It’s going to look like a genius move in 5 years haha

Europe registrations data for April is complete in our wiki:
  • 13,372 Teslas registered (vs. 1404/1352/2868 for Apr 2022/21/20)
  • 107,157 YTD (vs. 60,830/32,733/26,563 for 2022/21/20)
Even the YTD is up 76% YoY, wave is definitely getting flatter as already seen from indivual country data.
We´re now ahead of where we were at the end of August last year!

pubchart

Doesn´t look like "a couple of years of permitting issues couples with protests and lawsuits" can stop Tesla.

A highly cautious review of Tesla by Morningstar, usually a sober judge of companies’ prospects. Perhaps its value orientation limits understanding of Tesla. $215 share price projection — based on only 5 million cars sold in 2030, and minimal profits from Energy.

Compliance cars were basically made in limited quantities and were retrofitted onto existing vehicles. Leaf was neither. The main problem - it turned out - was the battery. Interestingly Tesla took the more conservative approach of liquid cooling - which Nissan wanted to mass produce, so they didn't want the complexity of liquid cooling. This is one of those things where it was simpler than was needed ...

I've over 10,000 posts on the Leaf forum if you want to check out ;)
Even the first Leaf’s did very well in very moderate climate locations, but not so well in very hot or cold ones. Without much question, IMHO, the absence of BMS was the crucial weakness. Carlos Ghosn gets credit for the Leaf but his real ‘contribution’ was a “Le Cost Cutter”, with not so much concern for effectiveness.

The contrast with Tesla, and only Tesla, was amazing. It still is, as most legacy OEMs are using third party, often Tier One, suppliers. That is the same process that brought on B787 fires, and continuing travails with pouch batteries, those winning so often because they’re easy to fit in converted ICE.

A highly cautious review of Tesla by Morningstar, usually a sober judge of companies’ prospects. Perhaps its value orientation limits understanding of Tesla. $215 share price projection — based on only 5 million cars sold in 2030, and minimal profits from Energy.
Tesla energy may well be in a dogfight by 2030. They are already competing head on with their cell providers for megapack like products. I'd be cautious too if I were you guys. Sales could be high but profits margins could be challenged. In 2026 as battery plants come on line all over the USA you could see vendors looking to dump cells into something. Energy products can absorb a huge amount of capacity but the highest demand is for the products that add the most value (frequency stabilization, time shifting in certain areas, etc) will have been met (being met right now).

But then you'll have to put up with its cliff-backed beaches, mouthwatering seafood, and picturesque villages.

Hmm...
My spouse and I were discussing that over breakfast this morning. A very short range BEV will be perfect. If only Tesla had one. Oh well, we’ve lots of small BEV options there. Only slightly sarcastic, we just might do it!

I suppose 215 is their short term target.
5 million cars sold in 2030 seems rather low, considering 1.8 in 2023.
You already reach that when selling 15% higher than the previous year...

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Berlin starts production of MY SR with BYD pack:

Pack is Structural, slight range decrease to 440 km WLTP compared to Shanghai CATL pack.
Not long ago a very authoritative person told me 'never happen, BYD packs will not work in a Tesla". I heard him but also could read the reports. It will be very interesting to observe these in service, not to mention how Tesla has implemented them. This does seem like probably good news to me.

Not long ago a very authoritative person told me 'never happen, BYD packs will not work in a Tesla". I heard him but also could read the reports. It will be very interesting to observe these in service, not to mention how Tesla has implemented them. This does seem like probably good news to me.

Tesla Rangers were already testing these vehicles in real world conditions for the past few months.

I had one replacing my 12V battery two months ago, Ranger showed up in a Y which was odd - they mostly use outfitted old Model S cars.

Didn’t mention the pack but shared he was testing a Berlin RWD. Testing was satisfactory I suppose 😁

They speak Brazilian in Portugal, easy transition.